SASS Wire Forum

CA's idiotic ammo restrictions

Dusty Devil Dale

At our match on Sunday, a new shooter related his story of his attempt to buy a box of shotgun shells at a local big box store.   The man in front of him in the l-o-n-g line was an active duty Navy serviceman, stationed at Lemoore Naval Air Station.  He had only his out of state driver's license and his military active duty ID card as identification.  The new law requires a CA driver's license or passport.  He was not allowed to make the purchase.   He quipped that the US government will let him fly an armed F16, but California won't let him buy a box of shotgun shells to go pheasant hunting with his dad.  

This was a true story!

I guess active duty servicemen and women are now treated as second class citizens in our increasingly liberal state.  

The guy in line ahead of the Navy Officer was a man who was refused, even though he had a CCW license issued by the State AG, which in California, denotes a full FBI background check.  But he didn't have the required document.  

Sad!  Very SAD. 

40 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Yes, but don't you feeeeel sooo much safer!???  <_<

Remember, it's not about safety or innocent lives - it's about control.

Yes it is so very sad.

Direct hit!   

That's exactly what it's all about -- obedient subjects in place of a free citizenry.  But the stupid lemmings still can't see through it.  Only after they leap off the cliff will their dumb minds start connecting dots.  

My neighbor has two great bumper stickers:. 

"Liberalism is a Mental Illness" 

"Liberalism is  Marxist Camo" 

Thanks for your comment-- and no, I don't feel one bit safer.  (And they're starting to notice reloading, so it's going to get a LOT worse here, and soon.) 

I had the same experience although with a valid CA DL which is not a REAL ID, but also does not state "Federal Limits Apply". The REAL ID is not required until 2020, but the big box store in question would not accept my current DL and would not sell me shotgun shells for my next match. I've since bought bulk from a local gun shop that knows and plays by the laws, ridiculous as they are, and I passed the background check and made my purchase without issue.

I've lived here all of my life, but am looking for a way out...

When has the left ever treated the military with respect?

Sadly this will not only be experienced by people in California in the future. Other states will adopt policies like this and certainly much worse policies.

Something I recently posted on another thread:

A lifelong friend of my son's tried to buy a box of .22 shells a few weeks ago.  He lives with his dad in the house he grew up on, out in the country.  Wanted to shoot the old rifle that had been handed down for a few generations.

Well... although he grew up in that house, he had not bought a gun within the past five years and was therefor not in the state's database.  Denied.  But he had the option of paying a $19 fee, waiting several days for the "non-background check" (they call it an eligibility check), and then being able to buy the box of .22 shells.  Mind you... this is a ONE TIME ONLY process.  He'll have to repeat the very next time he wants a box of .22 shells.  OR pay to register a firearm that he already owns.

By the way - the young man was not in a position to buy any firearms the past few years... he was serving on the USS Hartford, a Los Angeles class attack sub.  Discharged about Christmas time last year.  Interestingly, if he had still been on active duty status, with his military ID he would STILL have to do the $19-and-wait thing.  :angry:

What a deal, Emperor N[orton]~!  We all feel SO much safer now!  party.gif

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

When has the left ever treated the military with respect?

Sadly this will not only be experienced by people in California in the future. Other states will adopt policies like this and certainly much worse policies.

I agree 100%, Dan.

I am the corporate Safety and Compliance Director for a large wholesale distributor.  We sell items that are regulated by the USDOT as hazardous materials and items that contain VOCs.  I am having to constantly monitor all the states other than CA (a nightmare all by itself) that follow CA's lead and implement the same regulations.  California's extreme regulations ARE having an impact on other states.  In my business, most of those states are located in the northeast but the impact is slowly heading west.

I feel for the good people of California.  The others get what they deserve.  I have a nephew in CA that will never get to keep his grandfathers guns.  The restrictions are such that they will remain in another state. The problem is social decay, and politicians are more concerned about feelings not facts.

To all that have served, past, present and future.....God Bless and thank you!  

On 11/19/2019 at 7:56 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

You said it all when you said "CA's idiotic".

That says it all.

Newsome, Pelosi, Schiff... All-Stars in the service of the people of California! :blink:

Sadly, Yes. 

Did you say this took place in California or Kalifornia ? 

Unfortunately Kalifornia Laws 

Tend to bleed over to the Free America and Contaminat us.

I feel sorry for our California brothers and Sisters stuck behind enemy lines .

But maybe the can change things at the Voting Booth  in 2020 .

On 11/21/2019 at 4:40 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Did you say this took place in California or Kalifornia ? 

Unfortunately Kalifornia Laws 

Tend to bleed over to the Free America and Contaminat us.

I feel sorry for our California brothers and Sisters stuck behind enemy lines .

But maybe the can change things at the Voting Booth  in 2020 .

The problem is that all the conservatives are leaving the state and giving the liberals an even greater majority.  So I don't look for any election fixes. 

Did you see yesterday where our stupid Governor is bragging about having a $7B surplus?  He's ignoring what Trump did for the general economy, and he is too dumb to realize he is bragging on his surplus to the same folks he stole it from, via our extreme taxes here.  

California’s election system avoids any two party influences in many cases.  I don’t understand all I know about it, but from what I gather, by not allowing republicans to make the general election by some chicanery in the primary elections....

We have a bumper sticker that says "Please don't KALIFORNICATE  my Idaho!"

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

California’s election system avoids any two party influences in many cases.  I don’t understand all I know about it, but from what I gather, by not allowing republicans to make the general election by some chicanery in the primary elections....

Amazing, isn't it?  Republicans cannot even have a candidate on the election ballot.  Does the word "disenfranchisement" strike a familiar note?  The "D's" have been using it for years as an argument against any logical approach toward cleaning up our voting laws.

I listened to an interesting interview today with Linda Paine, the president of the Election Integrity Project - California, an organization attempting to address this mess.  A few interesting informational tidbits:

- Many counties have done away with polling places; voting is done by mail-in ballot only (my county is one of these), and the entire state is moving in that direction. 

- These ballots are mailed to the voters.  In the last election, an indeterminate number of ballots were not received by voters; when they contacted the registrar's offices they were told that they could submit a "provisional ballot."  However, if their ballot had been filled out and returned [illegally by someone else] the provisional ballot would not be counted.

- California accounts for 70% of the nation's provisional ballots.

- Eight California counties have more registered voters than people eligible to vote.

- There are an estimated one million ineligible voters registered in California.

There's more; check out the link above.

And sadly, the nonsense is spreading to other states.  :(

On 11/22/2019 at 1:05 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

The short story is that quite a few years ago when the Democrat party got the majority in Senate, they drafted the jungle primary system where the top two vote earners in the primaries move on to the general election. It was backed by Arnold and voted in as Prop 14 in 2010. Considering that the mass of voters lay within the major population centers, i.e. San Fran, Sac, LA and San Diego which for the most part are heavily liberal, it virtually guarantees 2 Democrat candidates move on. Orange County just turned blue in the last election and that was something that was never thought possible. There literally aren't enough conservative votes in the rest of the state to take on any one of those liberal strongholds anymore. Maybe San DIego, but still.....

What Hendo sez.  ^^^^^

And Republicans are now starting to lose in strong R districts - the voting irregularities noted above compounded by the D's latest ploy, "Ballot Harvesting" - a process that is a literal Petri dish for election fraud.  Case in point:  California's 25th Congressional District.  Solidly placed, two-time incumbent Steve Knight (Republican) beaten in the last election by Katie Hill (Democrat), who recently resigned after ten months in office when faced with an investigation by the House Ethics Committee after being "outed" for illegal, unethical, and immoral personal actions.  

Let's see what happens with the special election for her replacement this coming March.  It's likely to be ugly. 

To win in the special election, a candidate must have over 50% of the votes; otherwise, it goes to a run-off in the primary.  At this point, there are four Democrats and three Republicans declared.  In addition, there are an additional four Democrats recognized as potential candidates and TWELVE Republicans.  It's very likely that there will be NO Republican on the final ballot.  :(

I feel for the good people of California.  The others get what they deserve.  I have a nephew in CA that will never get to keep his grandfathers guns.  The restrictions are such that they will remain in another state. The problem is social decay, and politicians are more concerned about feelings not facts.

To all that have served, past, present and future.....God Bless and thank you!  

If the guns are double action revolvers or semi-auto handguns that aren't C&R's there is a legal way for your nephew to take possession of these guns through his mother or father.  The guns have to be transferred as gifts through a CA FFL.  My wife gave our daughter a sub-compact Taurus 380 pistol she wanted.  The pistol has never been on the CADOJ list.

Archived