• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

image.png.aa475f8f93f3a0a9287bd9bbca1904f4.png

The more I look at this picture the more I see. Birch trees, rifles with no scopes, deer hung by its neck, all scream U.P. Michigan hunting camp to me. There are letters carved in the tree above the guys hand, maybe claiming their spot? The guy in the middle, not my father but that's exactly what my dad would have looked like, how he would have dressed back in the 60's at deer camp.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The more I look at this picture the more I see. Birch trees, rifles with no scopes, deer hung by its neck, all scream U.P. Michigan hunting camp to me. There are letters carved in the tree above the guys hand, maybe claiming their spot? The guy in the middle, not my father but that's exactly what my dad would have looked like, how he would have dressed back in the 60's at deer camp.

It definitely could be, could be MN, NY, WI, PA . I’ve seen scenes like this from all over the USA . I still hear people debating if a deer should be hung by the neck or rear legs. And then there’s the aging venison debate 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

337658110_926821198515152_3115105319647468229_n.jpg

And don't forget shifting the manual transmission while pulling the lighter out of its socket to fire up your cigarette as you reached across the car to turn the window crank to open your girlfriends window! :D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway KId

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

image.png.aa475f8f93f3a0a9287bd9bbca1904f4.png

16 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

No camo. No ATVs (can't figure the vehicle; poss. hinged windshield -- Jeep?)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says '"A young man came up to our truck today because he was getting ready for his high school prom and didn't know how to tie his tie. My heart was pretty full watching my partner step in to help him out. This is what it's all about!"'

Years back I coached junior high wrestling. Wrestlers used to be required to wear a tie to school on days they had an intermural match, so several would bring ties to Monday's practice to get them tied to wear the next day.

I'd be willing to wager that even 20 years later there are still ties that I've tied hanging in some of these guys' closets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

No camo. No ATVs (can't figure the vehicle; poss. hinged windshield -- Jeep?)

The tires look "jeep" to me.

23 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I still hear people debating if a deer should be hung by the neck or rear legs. And then there’s the aging venison debate

My dad was a hang 'em by the neck guy. I once asked my dad how long to age the meat.

Dad:" depends on temperature warmer shorter, colder longer" 

Me: " ya but how long is that?"

Dad: "till it smells right"

Me: " How do I know if it smells right."

Dad: " when every dog in the neighborhood wants in the garage, probably time to butcher."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The tires look "jeep" to me.

My dad was a hang 'em by the neck guy. I once asked my dad how long to age the meat.

Dad:" depends on temperature warmer shorter, colder longer" 

Me: " ya but how long is that?"

Dad: "till it smells right"

Me: " How do I know if it smells right."

Dad: " when every dog in the neighborhood wants in the garage, probably time to butcher."

One guy I know claims you have to wait until there is a grey fuzz growing on the inside of the rib cage . I’m an asap guy. I usually hang by the neck until it’s time to skin them, then the gambrel hook comes out. Most buck poles my area hang them upside down but I suspect that’s more about viewing the antlers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I skin deer when I get them on the chainfall and hook, while they are still warm.

I find it quicker and easier and they cool faster.

Moose, I leave the hide on until we get them home.

17 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

One guy I know claims you have to wait until there is a grey fuzz growing on the inside of the rib cage . I’m an asap guy. I usually hang by the neck until it’s time to skin them, then the gambrel hook comes out. Most buck poles my area hang them upside down but I suspect that’s more about viewing the antlers. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I skin deer when I get them on the chainfall and hook, while they are still warm.

I find it quicker and easier and they cool faster.

Moose, I leave the hide on until we get them home.

They definitely give up their hide easier when they are warm. That tallow turns to glue when it’s cold, my chainfall is the front end loader on the tractor or the excavator, I usually try to bury the gut pile to deny the coyotes an easy meal. Honestly the last few years i just gut them and take them to the processor. There’s a local guy by our hunting camp that does a fantastic job for a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

I gut at the kill site and take the fruits of the hunt back to my buddy's house. (Year round home on a lake)

I leave the gut pile for the crows, ravens. politicians and other scavengers.

We have our own equipment, so we cut, weigh, wrap and freeze our own.

As with our moose. we have found we get a lot more meat from an animal than when we used commercial cutters around here.

When we did moose, often two or three, even our wives pitched in to help weigh and wrap.

Good times!

• Like 3