• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

tumblr_4d5f07f8aa5fb65ce961c6a289c20940_fa99c680_1280.jpg

What a bargain, one meme that shows two of our biggest problems. Too many people on both sides of every issue who think their beliefs are truer than science, and too many people who think if they can find one thing wrong with one argument then it proves every other unrelated argument is wrong too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That's got to be photoshopped. Surely no one can be THAT stupid.:(

Obviously you have never been exposed to contract specifications written by the government.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

Obviously you have never been exposed to specifications written by the government..

Unfortunately, I have.

If I was the installer, I would have refused to install it. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Unfortunately, I have.

Some places all that will do is get you unemployed. One contractor I knew got the contract to install lighting in a large chemical companies tank farm . The print specified everything was to be 4ft off the ground. So they started doing it because if they don’t build it to spec they don’t get paid. The Engineer in charge of the project stopped out the 2nd day to check on the job got pissed and asked them what they were doing. So the crew leader showed them the print. They stopped the work and changed the print. But this now worked in the contractors favor because this and many contracts go from the bid price to time and materials when the specs for the job are changed after the work has started. Contractors love time and materials. Most of the time the contractors would have went to the project coordinator and pointed out their mistake before starting, but this guy engineer was a real piece of work. He had burned contractors in the past for trying to help him. If you want to keep your guys employed sometimes you have to play the game. Unfortunately allot of times when dealing with large companies and the government it unfortunately doesn’t always work out well if you try to be helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Unfortunately, I have.

I was on a plumbing job putting in a new drain at the local university gun range. My foreman showed me where to put it, I told him bad idea they were moving it to under the steel plate that directed the bullets to the sand trap. Told him that new drain would fill up with lead and be a mess, but what does a first year apprentice know? Couple weeks later, after the shooting coach saw it, I had to move it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Some places all that will do is get you unemployed. One contractor I knew got the contract to install lighting in a large chemical companies tank farm . The print specified everything was to be 4ft off the ground. So they started doing it because if they don’t build it to spec they don’t get paid. The Engineer in charge of the project stopped out the 2nd day to check on the job got pissed and asked them what they were doing. So the crew leader showed them the print. They stopped the work and changed the print. But this now worked in the contractors favor because this and many contracts go from the bid price to time and materials when the specs for the job are changed after the work has started. Contractors love time and materials. Most of the time the contractors would have went to the project coordinator and pointed out their mistake before starting, but this guy engineer was a real piece of work. He had burned contractors in the past for trying to help him. If you want to keep your guys employed sometimes you have to play the game. Unfortunately allot of times when dealing with large companies and the government it unfortunately doesn’t always work out well if you try to be helpful.

I gotta tell ya, I've BEEN fired from a company for refusing to do stupid/faulty installs. Just because some salesman, architect, designer or engineer hires my employer to install their design or product...I'm the one that has to live with the result of the installation. 

As I said, I've been fired from a company for refusal to do what they told me to do. After 43+ years of electrical work, I can sleep with a clear conscience and a good feeling about my work, ethic and integrity.

1 minute ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I was on a plumbing job putting in a new drain at the local university gun range. My foreman showed me where to put it, I told him bad idea they were moving it to under the steel plate that directed the bullets to the sand trap. Told him that new drain would fill up with lead and be a mess, but what does a first year apprentice know? Couple weeks later, after the shooting coach saw it, I had to move it.

I've saved more than a few contractors money over the years by pointing out flaws in their planning, logistics and actual, real world jobsite problems.

Been in some, shall we say, "interesting" conversations in 43 years. Up until he passed away a few years ago, every time I would run into an old co-worker he would remind me how I (supposedly) told the owner of the company that we worked for "You're a dumb m**********r". I always told him that I'd forgotten about that, I didn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB_IMG_1675795641770.jpg

Still have the dent in my forehead from losing a rock fight at about 7 years old.

Man, did that sucker bleed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5