• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

Caught a trailer hitch with my right shin 2 weeks ago. :( Seems to hurt way more now than years ago. Damn. 

"Trailer hitches" - God's way of reminding you where your shin is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  

95.thumb.jpeg.b518e42941d5702f63dcc85ff1a9fbe7.jpeg

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/21/surprise-nissan-leaf-batteries-last-much-longer-than-expected/

"In fact, many EV batteries may outlast the vehicles they are installed in, then enjoy a second life in a stationary storage application before finally being recycled, according to EVANNEX. “At the end of the vehicle’s life — 15 or 20 years down the road — you take the battery out of the car and it’s still healthy with perhaps 60 or 70% of usable charge,” Thomas said.

“It’s more sustainable to take the battery pack out of the car after 20 years, recycle the car, and reuse the battery. By far the easiest thing to do is take the complete battery out of the vehicle, put it in a shipping container in a rack, and plug that into a solar farm.”

To date, Nissan has collected only a small number of LEAF batteries from crashed vehicles or those with warranty issues and it has supplied some of them to providers of stationary storage. Thomas says that Nissan’s new factory currently under construction in Sunderland, England, will use EV batteries to store energy from solar panels and wind turbines.

Many consumers have had the misfortune to have the battery in their laptop or cell phone die after a few years and they think the same must be true of EV batteries. But the battery packs used in vehicles have sophisticated battery management systems that constantly monitor the health and performance of the individual cells. Those digital systems keep the cells from overheating during charging, which helps to prolong battery life. Most (although not the LEAF) have liquid cooling that also helps stabilize battery temperatures."

"Recycling experts told Forbes that the EVs sold in 2019 alone will eventually generate 500,000 metric tons of battery waste. [“Waste” may be a misleading term. Most of the materials inside those batteries can be recycled into new battery materials.] The IEA says that by 2040, there could be 1,300 GWh worth of spent batteries in need of recycling. Based on Nic Thomas’ comments, that estimate may be too high. The good news is that battery recyclers say they can extract up to 95% of the materials inside those batteries and use them to manufacture new batteries."

95% not 2% like the memes say.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/21/surprise-nissan-leaf-batteries-last-much-longer-than-expected/

"In fact, many EV batteries may outlast the vehicles they are installed in, then enjoy a second life in a stationary storage application before finally being recycled, according to EVANNEX. “At the end of the vehicle’s life — 15 or 20 years down the road — you take the battery out of the car and it’s still healthy with perhaps 60 or 70% of usable charge,” Thomas said.

“It’s more sustainable to take the battery pack out of the car after 20 years, recycle the car, and reuse the battery. By far the easiest thing to do is take the complete battery out of the vehicle, put it in a shipping container in a rack, and plug that into a solar farm.”

To date, Nissan has collected only a small number of LEAF batteries from crashed vehicles or those with warranty issues and it has supplied some of them to providers of stationary storage. Thomas says that Nissan’s new factory currently under construction in Sunderland, England, will use EV batteries to store energy from solar panels and wind turbines.

Many consumers have had the misfortune to have the battery in their laptop or cell phone die after a few years and they think the same must be true of EV batteries. But the battery packs used in vehicles have sophisticated battery management systems that constantly monitor the health and performance of the individual cells. Those digital systems keep the cells from overheating during charging, which helps to prolong battery life. Most (although not the LEAF) have liquid cooling that also helps stabilize battery temperatures."

"Recycling experts told Forbes that the EVs sold in 2019 alone will eventually generate 500,000 metric tons of battery waste. [“Waste” may be a misleading term. Most of the materials inside those batteries can be recycled into new battery materials.] The IEA says that by 2040, there could be 1,300 GWh worth of spent batteries in need of recycling. Based on Nic Thomas’ comments, that estimate may be too high. The good news is that battery recyclers say they can extract up to 95% of the materials inside those batteries and use them to manufacture new batteries."

95% not 2% like the memes say.

Happens I have original title to the Brooklyn Bridge if you are interested.  Fancy refrigerator / freezer failed after ten years, I was told that was the expected lifespan.  Clothes washer, Dishwasher similar.  Batteries, lithium camera batteries regularly require replacement.  BTW, they could recycle plastic too, but except on a boutique basis it never really worked.  Check out the UK, or a source you might find credible, NPR.  I get it, you are all in on electric in a place with rolling blackouts, and diesel powered car charging stations that are far less fuel efficient than several cars  I'll pass on the Kool Aid and the electric cars.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Happens I have original title to the Brooklyn Bridge if you are interested.  Fancy refrigerator / freezer failed after ten years, I was told that was the expected lifespan.  Clothes washer, Dishwasher similar.  Batteries, lithium camera batteries regularly require replacement.  BTW, they could recycle plastic too, but except on a boutique basis it never really worked.  Check out the UK, or a source you might find credible, NPR.  I get it, you are all in on electric in a place with rolling blackouts, and diesel powered car charging stations that are far less fuel efficient than several cars  I'll pass on the Kool Aid and the electric cars.

Yep.   All technology is frozen at 1939.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Don't bother. Subdeacon Joe thinks that EVs are The Next Great Thing. He is a True Believer. He has one that works for HIS meager needs, so he thinks that they will work for the rest of us.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

9 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Happens I have original . . . etc.

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yep.   All technology is frozen at 1939.

9 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Don't bother. . . . etc.

9 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

If that is true . . . etc.

Seriously Not again - Tony Stark Eye Roll | Make a Meme

Y'all are making the 1911/plastic pistol debate look rational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

As long as people keep posting those stupid, ignorant, bigoted memes, yes, again.  They sound like a right wing version of The View.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Thanks for posting this, though.  I've saved it to use in reply to all those stupid anti-EV memes that have all been posted here dozens of times already.