SASS Wire Forum

Talk about inflation

Marshal Chance Morgun

Mom passed away a week ago. While going through her things, we found the hospital bill from when I was born in 1952.  Room and board: $8.50 per day. Delivery room: $20.00. Baby care $3.00 a day pharmacy: $.040 to $1.50. Lab work $2.00. Grand total: $63.60.

I found a copy of the receipt that the JP gave me after he married us (July 16, 1965).  It was for $12.50.  I gave two ladies we took off the elevator to be witnesses another $2.00 each.

51 years of marriage for less that $20.00.  Helluva bargain, I'd say.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I found a copy of the receipt that the JP gave me after he married us (July 16, 1965).  It was for $12.50.  I gave two ladies we took off the elevator to be witnesses another $2.00 each.

51 years of marriage for less that $20.00.  Helluva bargain, I'd say.

In NH a JP is required to charge at least $5.  A friend of mine got his JP and had the sig line “I’ll marry anybody for $5”

Howdy, 

After my Dad passed, Mom gave me the dollar bill he had tucked in back of his wallet.

1937 date.  I bet that would buy dinner back then.

When The Wopper first showed up the price was 39 cents.

Today on sale two for 6 dollars.

And they go thru a lot of extras but will sell two for six.

Best

CR

ps when it comes from the 60s just remember those dollars were silver.

Multiply that price by about 16 or so for a quick compare in value....sorta.

1965 was about the end of most silver coinage by the us gummint.

10 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I'm betting that 51 years of marriage cost you a lot more than $20.00

Yeah, but about half that time she was earning more than I was so it balance out.

Still a bargain, because I got the best there was.

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My first new car...1967 Cutlass Supreme $2800.00 OUT THE DOOR!!!

My 69 Camaro had the original window sticker with it when I bought it. 2250.00.

My wife's 1970 Nova still had the sticker in the glove box. $1950.00. Dang shoulda bought a bunch and saved em! Along with that Cutlass & Camaro above!

My dad's journal has an entry pertaining to the doctor & hospital bills for my birth in '56, and the prices are similar. He also wrote about buying a chainsaw the same year - it cost more than the doctor & hospital bills!

In July 1950 Doc Payne came to our house and delivered me.  $20.  Staid overnight so probably got fed breakfast.

First car 67 El Camino Malibu 283 2b with "3 on the tree" $2,400.

Borrowed $5,000 to build first house in 72. 

In 77 dad forced me to buy 140 acres of family farm for $13,500. I thought we'd starve to death making the monthly payments.  (Only years later did I find out he offered the land to my mother's brother for $5,000 but he couldn't borrow the money.)

Dad paid $2,100 for the 140 acre farm after WWII. 

Has a crown put on a tooth last spring.  Round up to $2,000.  Fortunately,  it didn't need a root canal or it wouldn't have been so cheap! 

24 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

When did you quit smoking?

Never got the habit.  When I was a kid in the ‘50s, a gallon of gas, a loaf of bread, and a pack of cigarettes were about 25 cents each.  I can still get gas and a loaf of bread for about $2.00.  I know cigarettes are more than that, but the cheap brands are still in the ballpark.  Not like the explosion in medical costs.

9 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Never got the habit.  When I was a kid in the ‘50s, a gallon of gas, a loaf of bread, and a pack of cigarettes were about 25 cents each.  I can still get gas and a loaf of bread for about $2.00.  I know cigarettes are more than that, but the cheap brands are still in the ballpark.  Not like the explosion in medical costs.

Cigarettes in MA average over $9.00 per pack - primarily as a result of State taxes.

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/cigarette-tax-map

LL

My first taste of inflation came early in life - maybe 5 or 6.  Dad would stop at Red Miller's gas station on way home. I could buy a 12oz Coke in glass bottle for 10c and a package of Planters Peanuts for 5c.  I remember the day when I lifted the lid on the Coke machine,  put in my dime and pulled out a 10oz bottle!  I felt cheated.  10oz just didn't cut it.  Not much later they started putting 6oz bottles of a dime.  10oz went up to 15c. 

On 11/19/2019 at 4:53 AM, Doc X said:

In the 90's I found one of my Dad's old pay stubs from the early 60's. I compared it to my last stub, I had more withheld in federal taxes than he brought home.

My dad was a university professor who was an elementary school teacher in the colleges laboratory school.

He once told me that if they had offered him a contract for $500.00 a year when he took the job he would have signed up for life.

When he retired in 1985 he had, for the first time, broken the $1,000.00 a month barrier

On 11/19/2019 at 4:31 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

My wife's 1970 Nova still had the sticker in the glove box. $1950.00. Dang shoulda bought a bunch and saved em! Along with that Cutlass & Camaro above!

I bought a brand new 1968 Datsun 1600 Fair Lady roadster from a dealer on Okinawa for $1600.00 out the door with taxes, license, and options like a radio, tool kit, and tonneau cover plus a full tank of gas.

There's one similar, fully restored to factory specs, for $16.000.00 (count the eros)in a local paper.  It's considered a bargain at that price.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I went into the Army in 1965.  Civilian cigarettes were two bits a pack from a machine, 19 to 20 cents over the counter, and about a buck eighty five for a carton.

PX prices were fifteen cents a pack and a buck twenty for a carton.

I quit when they hit one and a quarter and I was smoking three or four packs a day.  At today's S9.00 a pack that's two and half times my mortgage payment.

1 hour ago, Catlow4697 said:

It is really great remembering the old days

Cheap prices on everything but who would work for the average wage of those days?

If the dollar bought the same amount of goods it did back then I believe we all would.

To compare yesterday to today's value and buying ability is like comparing unicorn's with T-Rex's!

1970 Nova for $1,750 is $11,600 in todays dollars. So why is a car today of apparently equal size and market $22,000?

Let's see, now every car has power steering, brakes, windows, seats, mirrors. AC with climate control. Extremely complicated engines/transmissions, (but great fuel economy). The big driver is labor costs. They have risen exponentially greater than material costs. And throw in increased taxes, environmental cost and wala you get what we have.

Ike

Archived