SASS Wire Forum

1860 Henry Modification

PowderMark

I know this was discussed in a previous thread but it is now closed.  I just bought an Uberti iron frame.  The thread showed a leather hand guard and then suggested a wooden spacer be used with it.  My question is, what keeps the spacer from traveling right into the receiver?  Can’t have a brass tab on it if you are using the guard, can you?

B436577C-6229-4D79-8EE6-6A023A04326F.png

79FB6F94-BC47-4035-8B9D-67455C1FEFEB.png

See that little brass stud at about the 3/4 inch mark.  That keeps it from travelling back into the receiver.

Put in the cartridges, then the spacer stick with the brass stud towards the bullets.

I make mine out of a brass woodscrew.  I screw it in, saw off the head, an file it into a rectangular shape the fit the slot in my Henry. 

The leather wrap is the length of the spacer stick.  The spacer stick stops the tab.

--Dawg

+1 to Prairie Dawg. Be sure the stud isn't too long. If it protrudes from the channel  too much, it'll drag on your hand or the leather wrap

Just so you know, without the stud, the stick just travels into the action after the last round and blocks the lever into the open position. Can't get a minor safety with that! But it's h**l on reloads! :) 

I call mine "Stick, Mark 1, A-1."  I epoxy a 45 Squirt (45 Schofield cut down) case to each end for smooth tracking in the magazine and put a brass wood screw (epoxy again) thru the case to stop the spacer fro entering the carrier.  Works a treat.

Howdy

That is my spacer stick in those photos.

As pictured, I could feel the brass 'stud', it's actually a piece of brass tubing that I had laying around, graze past my hand as it slides all the way home.

A couple of years ago I filed the 'stud' down a little bit further so now it is flush with the slot in the magazine and I never feel it slide by anymore.

The reason I use the spacer stick is so I don't have to do the Henry Hop.  I place my left hand just in front of the frame. The spacer stick prevents the follower tab from quite reaching my hand, so I don't have to do the Henry Hop. Yes, I usually wear a glove on my left hand in the summer because my Henry gets really hot with my 44-40 Black Powder loads.

BlackPowderCountryPond_zpsc1361063.jpg

8 hours ago, PowderMark said:

I guess that’s my question.  Will the spacer pin interfere with the leather? So it just needs to be short enough.  Thanks!

No, as long as the "pin" is short enough, as one said, to not stick out past the magazine tube frame, it will not hit your hand.  Now with the leather wrap on it(which is mine in the photos above, it was me that petitioned SASS for the approval)...I did find that as the leather wrap was getting more worn in and with the heat and grip of the hand, the leather lacing was possibly pushing up into the channel some, causing some interference with the brass pins.  I fixed that by tightening the lace.  If it continues, I will experiment with thinner lace etc...

12 hours ago, PowderMark said:

I guess that’s my question.  Will the spacer pin interfere with the leather? So it just needs to be short enough.  Thanks!

Well I'd say it would depend on how long your pin is. You'll need it long enough to stop the spacer from locking up the action but shirt enough to clear the leather. I think the short answer is trial and error.

I would only use one of these sticks if it would allow me to shoot my Henry at a club that has a Henry ban. 

What's the point to shooting an 1860 Henry without the doing the Henry hop? I've been known to do the hop with a 66 or 73 and not realize that I did it.B)

58 minutes ago, COAL CAR KID, SASS #15921 said:

I would only use one of these sticks if it would allow me to shoot my Henry at a club that has a Henry ban. 

What's the point to shooting an 1860 Henry without the doing the Henry hop? I've been known to do the hop with a 66 or 73 and not realize that I did it.B)

Honestly?  There are clubs that ban Henrys?

Bless their hearts!

LL

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Bless their hearts!

LL

That's a sad statement all in itself. 

Rooster 

13 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Bless their hearts!

LL

There are a few in Indiana after a couple incidents of folks not keeping control of the follower resulting in magazine explosions; some other clubs just jumped on the ban wagon. I talked one club out of their ban; the match director didn't understand the Henry and how possibly high primers and a too round bullet involved to set them off in the tube.

I only shoot at one club with a ban in place; I know they were a cat's whisker from loosing their insurance.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

That is my spacer stick in those photos.

As pictured, I could feel the brass 'stud', it's actually a piece of brass tubing that I had laying around, graze past my hand as it slides all the way home.

A couple of years ago I filed the 'stud' down a little bit further so now it is flush with the slot in the magazine and I never feel it slide by anymore.

The reason I use the spacer stick is so I don't have to do the Henry Hop.  I place my left hand just in front of the frame. The spacer stick prevents the follower tab from quite reaching my hand, so I don't have to do the Henry Hop. Yes, I usually wear a glove on my left hand in the summer because my Henry gets really hot with my 44-40 Black Powder loads.

This +1,000, 'cept I don't wear a glove when shooting BP in my .44-40.

However, I set that gun down quickly after firing and use a rag to pick it up for movement to the unloading table and cart!  HOT, HOT, HOT!! :)

18 hours ago, COAL CAR KID, SASS #15921 said:

What's the point to shooting an 1860 Henry without the doing the Henry hop?

I dunno, seemed kind of a pain to me.

Archived