SASS Wire Forum

Where does our membership money go?

Marshal Hangtree

It's been many years since a post such as this has been posted:

* How many current members

* Where are the public financials for SASS  

Bottom line:

* There are no public financials because SASS is no longer incorporated as a Not for Profit

* The membership can no longer determined since the majority of the SASS Chronicles are no longer mailed but sent by Internet emails to reduce printing costs.  When Chronicles were mailed 100%, SASS was required to publish a Federal Postal form that identified the number of magazines issued that could give an approximation of membership

So related to dues ... as the old Sage goes:  "If you want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

This thread may be well intended, but IMO it sounds like a part of the Democratic agenda.

Snakebite  

And you would be mistaken, Sir.

What is the money I pay for two adult and three children's memberships used for?  All $135 of it, for five memberships.  I don't know.  I also don't care. 

Misty may be lighting Montecristo cigars with $50 dollar bills for all I know, doesn't matter to me. 

I also don't know what my water company is doing with the $35 I send them every month, or what my insurance company is doing with that money, nor do I care to know. 

I do know my water works and I have insurance.  I know I can shoot in any SASS matches I want to and have the opportunity to do so 5 to 6 times a month.  

7 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I do know my water works and I have insurance.  I know I can shoot in any SASS matches I want to and have the opportunity to do so 5 to 6 times a month.  

With a set of standardized rules and guidelines that we all follow to make this a level playing field.

I for one thank them for all they do for us in the United States and all the other Countries that have the enjoyment of participating in this sport.

SASS is still a for profit company, unless something changed since December of 2018

32156561_1806997952655734_8227990220428017664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=17bbc2b44901b5624452e264d0f63356&oe=5C6ABC59    
Misty Miller
December 7 at 9:11 AM

John, et al: 
James Scott Love emailed me about this last night and I went in and “fixed” the FB designation. We have no clue how that designation was added- or when. 
FB got it wrong. 
SASS has not converted to a nonprofit. 
Should you have questions like this again in the future- please just shoot me an email or give me a call at SASS HQ. I wouldn’t have seen this post to be able to provide you with an answer in a timely manner. Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

And you would be mistaken, Sir.

That may well be so, but I have been following the impeachment hearings and could not help but see similarities. Like I said..... it is my opinion. Also IMO, queries to the SASS office, BOD, would be the best place to start. They would be better informed to have answers, since it is they and not the membership at large who pays the bills.

Snakebite

2 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

That may well be so, but I have been following the impeachment hearings and could not help but see similarities. Like I said..... it is my opinion. Also IMO, queries to the SASS office, BOD, would be the best place to start. They would be better informed to have answers, since it is they and not the membership at large who pays the bills.

Snakebite

Respectfully, I fail to see any correlation between my initial inquiry, my subsequent clarification, and the current impeachment proceedings.  Could you elaborate on the "similarities" you reference?

On 11/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

This is partially inspired by the current thread of how to best grow our sport/hobby.

In our initial start-up membership, for $75 we get a welcome letter, a SASS number, a very inexpensive badge, and get our alias listed in a log.

After that, subsequent years are $65.  I keep the same SASS number and cheap badge, and I'm pretty sure nobody else will want my alias.

Just what do we get for our hard earned dollars from SASS after the initial year?  The Cowboy Chronicle is free on line to be viewed by anybody, so that's not much of a return.  Where does our money go?

Has anyone ever seen a published accounting of where our dues money gets spent?

SASS would have a much better grasp on the answers to the questions about the cheap badge, the free Chronicle or any questions as to where your hard earned dollars paid to SASS goes. The similarities come from what I see as a negative tone of the public inquiry rather than first asking SASS. That is again... MY OPINION. I guess that we all get out of SASS what we put into it. I have put a lot into it, and I have been well rewarded with the many years of enjoyment that it has provided me. This is the end of my comments on this. 

Snakebite

So if its not a non-profit organization then it is a privately held company. Which means they have absolutely no legal obligation to publish anything about their organization, who the owners are, and the annual financials. All they have to do is file with the State and the IRS for their income taxes. You could get the ownership list from the Secretary of State in New Mexico. There might be a fee.

The mailing list as mentioned would not give the actual number of members paying annual dues. There are life members and others who get the Chronicle that don't pay annual dues. The only thing that determines that is the SASS list of paid to date members. And the number of life member isn't accurate as some no longer shoot and or have passed on.

I believe the Founders Ranch is owned by a group of individuals that are partly the original current Wild Bunch. There may be more. SASS lease the building they occupy on the Ranch, so rent. They also pay a fee or lease the shooting bays for EOT. The point here is any other shooting activities at the ranch has no bearing on the revenue of SASS. Thats revenue goes to Founders Ranch. If it's also a privately held company then it also doesn't have to make public any of its business dealings.

Income for SASS pays for the building lease, labor/salaries, benefits to the employees, advertising, writing and publishing the Chronicle, internet fees and maintenance, equipment, supplies, legal fees, taxes, accountants, phones, reimbursement for any expenses by the employees as in gas for travel, travel expenses.  And here's the light your fire thing, the owners would expect a return on their investment like any private company. That would be in the form of the company value increasing, or bonus's paid.

The last number I heard Misty put out for membership, at the last Las Vegas convention was around 27,000 paying members, 27,000 X $65 = $1,755,000 +/- the square root of the sun!  Thats not a lot of money in todays business world.

I'll spend more than $65/year on burnt coffee at Starbucks. $65 isn't much for what we're getting. And i like my cheap badge.

Ike

Archived