SASS Wire Forum

You are the King/ Queen of SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My recommendation for movement would be "no" stand and deliver stages. Minimum of a couple steps between shoot positions, all the younger shooters I've spoken with enjoy more movement and have little interest in S&D shooting. If the shooter had to take a step or two in order to adjust for a window, doorway, or shoot position, no call.

Nothing excessive, just a few adjustments of current rules. I don't see the safety issue with moving as long as shooter is in control of firearms. 

Yes, I understand many shooters have mobility issues. Nothing says one must run to each position, you can still walk, mosey, whatever you need to do to get there.

It is Cowboy "Action" Shooting. 

I agree. But then they complain because, while they may be able to still shoot very fast and accurately, they say they can't be competitive because of the movement required. Personally I usually mosey rather than run and I don't really care much about wining. I just compete against myself. I don't think there's a solution that ill please everybody. In fact I'm sure there isn't. ;)

Surely, someone has some ideas beyond move Winter Range, outlaw short strokes and get rid of big targets.

In 5 pages of dialogue there has been much more offered than what you have perceived here.

Regardless though This is a drill in "If I won the lottery I would buy....."That is fun to talk about but a pipe dream in the end.

Here is an idea nobody has mentioned.

Have your local cowboy club get a table at the next gun show.  Man it with cowboys, cowgirls, and buckaroos  wearing their western best. Exhibit all of the firearms that are used in the game. Play videos of "regular folks" shooting stages.

Our local rod & gun club did this a few years ago to promote our trap and skeet program. We got some new members.

Lucky grin_zpsebe960c5.png

My husband and I did this a couple of months ago on our own. And, we are going to do it again at the Greenville Gun Show next month (Dec 21-22) He had a table of our own personal things for sale and I had a table advertising SASS.  I dressed up, had my guns in my gun cart and had Chronicles, badges from matches, buckles, awards, anything I could think of to take and display. I did have business cards but didn’t have anything to “sell” at the show. I had print outs of and contact information of every SC match. It was AWESOME!  Abe E S Corpus came for one day. My husband said he felt bad for the folks on the other side of the aisle from us because EVERYONE stopped and talked to us about cowboy stuff.   The local match was the next weekend and there were a lot of visitors who’d heard about it at the gun show. FOLLOW UP IS KEY!!  People want to go where they are wanted, valued and supported...  

Hugs!!

Scarlett

D94213C8-4383-4F50-98FA-D769691AE4C9.jpeg

Hi kids...

I'm like Beetlejuice...say my name 3 times and I show up!

Been a while since I posted anything...heck, been a while since I shot any CAS. Spent some time in 3-Gun and USPSA, worked to get RIMFIRE CHALLENGE back on a sound footing, spent some time hunting, spent the summer shooting NLR.22 precision, finished filming the 20th Season of SHOOTING GALLERY.  I'll probably do another season of SG, depending on whether the Big Bosses want it or not. I do have some projects in the works that are designed to support/expand the shooting sports (in fact, I'm on the road this week trying to tinker together a deal on same).

The question is always the same...money. The industry is still adjusting to the "new normal," e.g. not a boom, and they are reluctant to spend bucks. The industry also gets hypnotized by new stuff. Largely because of the Internet, gun world is a "fashion-driven" as a 9th grade girl's school. Right now we're deeply in love with endless training, as the crush on 3-Gun burned out because it was too damned expensive, which inherently limited the audience. To be totally cynical (and hey, I'm old, so I come by the cynicism honestly!), the great advantage of focusing on training is that you never have to step up to the line and face the cold hard truth of the timer. LOL!

The biggest issue facing CAS is that the new generation of Internet gun writers/personalities/"influencers"/whatever have exactly zero exposure to CAS shooting...by the time they started working, SASS had effectively disappeared. For a lot of the people I shoot with, my Sweetie and I are the only cowboy shooters they've ever met, sort of like interesting dinosaurs or talking dogs.

What we did on SHOOTING GALLERY and especially COWBOYS, plus what Jim Scoutten did on SHOOTING USA, were the biggest membership drivers for CAS in its middle years...visibility is life. If I could relaunch COWBOYS, I would...it remains one of my favorite projects ever. But the numbers have become so daunting launching a show — or keeping one going, for that matter — is a herculean task. The Internet is the solution, but there are still production costs. 

Lemme think about this a little more.

BTW, miss you, Allie Mo!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

The biggest issue facing CAS is that the new generation of Internet gun writers/personalities/"influencers"/whatever have exactly zero exposure to CAS shooting...

There are a few that do a good job making informative YouTube videos like Mike Beliavau Duelist54.  But any of them that come from the "tacticool" side that step up and do a review of a cowboy gun usually do a poor job. 

Like any rule or law, enforcement is the key.

700fps minimum velocity for all ammo (with exceptions made for some of the senior categories or shooters with a physical/medical disability). 

I show up with 400 fps ammo and all I have to do is say, 'I have arthritis in my hands and can't shoot 700 fps ammo'. OK who's going to prove them wrong? A doctor's note.

Target size, placement and distances have been discussed here forever. And time and again it's been proven that a good shooter will be a good shooter at any distance or size. So let's take our "close" targets and make them smaller and further away so new shooters learning the ropes will have a better chance of missing! 

The reality of our sport its a sport for people born in the 40's/50's, and 60's who grew up with cowboy stuff all around us. And now we have some coins in our pocket and can afford to buy $3,000 worth of guns and gear. Gen X, Gen Y and the Millennials are into super hero's and aneme. $500 box and sit in your home where you don't actually have to go and and interact with real people.

The solution here isn't targets, FPS, movement, clothing etc. It's about enticing generations who currently have no interest in shooting and or SASS to come on board.

Ike

Golly gee, Irish Ike. What about those of us born in the 1930s!!??? :angry:

You're right, Ike, but the only way to entice those generations is to turn CAS into something we don't recognize.  We could call it, "New" CAS. Kind of like what Nashville has done with "New" Country Music. In a nutshell, if it will sell, they will call it Country Music and the Country radio stations will play it.  I don't like "New" Country Music.  

I have many failings, but I recognize expertise when I encounter it.

I hope Wolf Bane posts his recommendations after thinking about it, and that all of us and the SASS home office accept his wisdom and do what he recommends.

Thank you sir, for supporting our sport.

The company I work for had their annual Christmas party this evening, and they held it at a little western town /steak house.  They said dress code was business casual or western.  My wife and I took the opportunity to put on our best SASS finery for the event.  Got a lot of questions and interest about what we did with this stuff, what is CAS/SASS, is there a place they can go watch to see it.  These are all people who currently or in the near future will have the disposable income to join in if the interest and opportunity are there.

Yanno, I've been pondering on this one for a couple of weeks. I am new here. Really new. So I'm not sure how much of a voice I have in this here corral or if I can even string together a line of thought that makes sense. I've known about SASS for quite a while, and had even visited the homepage a few times over the years. I bought my first Model P five or six years ago and mainly played with it at the range. (I actually blame Hikock45 for that). I didn't remember seeing any SASS info in any of the paperwork I got with my shooter and when I went back and looked in the box, there indeed wasn't. 

So, out of the gate, I would suggest seeing if we could Co-Op some advertising with the manufacturers, distributors and suppliers of the tools of our trade. In my case, because I already had one Cimarron pistol before I got into SASS, it only made sense for me to pick up another when I joined (we won't get into the whole new 3 click thing). I also bought an Cimarron branded 1873 short rifle to go with the new pistol, too. So the angle for up selling or additional sales are definitely there.

The other thought rattling around in my old skull is about club presence. Now I ain't so much talking about the local band of misfits riding into town and saying howdy. Although that would be fun. It's just that even if you wanted to get into CAS, you really have to hunt for info on where to go find local matches. Now that may just be a California thing, because gun owners and shooting sports tend to be eyed as an evil thing by the straights around these parts. I know that I tend to be somewhat low-key about my shooting activities with folks that I don't know are about. All it takes is one unhappy coworker to snivel up the line and I stand the possibility of loosing my rights and my property. That don't mean I don't talk about it, it's just that it sometimes feels like I'm operating like a member of the French Underground. I know it's a bit wrong minded of me, we are, after-all the best and foremost ambassadors for our sport and if it hadn't been an offhand conversation at a Civil War reenactment with a gent who's become a real pard to me, I wouldn't be here now. I honestly hope to someday be in a position to be as helpful to the next greenhorn as Warthog Red has been to me.

In the meantime maybe posting a calendar of upcoming events at local gunstores and sporting goods outlets might be helpful. I was even trying to figure out how we could even get some sort of tie in at Knott's Berry Farm with their wild west theme and whatnot. I'm not that smart, though.

Like I said, it's just some ramblings from an old dude sitting in a chair and pecking away at a keyboard. I don't have any need to be a king and I ain't got the legs to be a queen. I just had to throw out what was in my head.

We have had quite a few compete in our annual Cowboy Fast Draw match at a local resort. We have had a lotof interest in CAS but we need younger folks to take over.  

I have had the same trouble with the Sea Scouts and the "dirt" Scouts. Younger people simply don't volunteer. Even our local fire department is aging!

Many members of SASS is ageing; and yet holds onto the reasons why they got involved in SASS.  Members have brought up shooting while moving, not emphasizing the shooting first, advertising a new SASS, rule changes etc... but are meet with opposition.  While members of SASS certainly have the right to hold onto these reasons, they maybe keeping away new membership.   If you keep going down the same path, you get to the same place.  How about allowing shooters to shoot a 7th stage with shooting on the move allowed but only keeping a time for those who wish to participate.  Clubs can share  on shooter interest.  Advertise our champions in high volume marketing areas.  Clubs offer free clinics to new shooters emphasizing rules, firearm selection with advertisement and loaner firearms to try.   ACSA does this once a year at the AZ expo.   I like the idea of new shooters shooting a 22 category or one pistol and rifle category at the club level to get interest. They do not have to compete against those following the current SASS rules.  How many of our shooters come into SASS with the idea that time doesn't matter only to find themselves short stroking and smoothing actions.  I will stay with SASS as it is presented today, but am not afraid of change.  I am afraid of losing it.  

Many members of SASS is ageing; and yet holds onto the reasons why they got involved in SASS.  Members have brought up shooting while moving, not emphasizing the shooting first, advertising a new SASS, rule changes etc... but are meet with opposition.  While members of SASS certainly have the right to hold onto these reasons, they maybe keeping away new membership.   If you keep going down the same path, you get to the same place.  How about allowing shooters to shoot a 7th stage with shooting on the move allowed but only keeping a time for those who wish to participate.  Clubs can share  on shooter interest.  Advertise our champions in high volume marketing areas.  Clubs offer free clinics to new shooters emphasizing rules, firearm selection with advertisement and loaner firearms to try.   ACSA does this once a year at the AZ expo.   I like the idea of new shooters shooting a 22 category or one pistol and rifle category at the club level to get interest. They do not have to compete against those following the current SASS rules.  How many of our shooters come into SASS with the idea that time doesn't matter only to find themselves short stroking and smoothing actions.  I will stay with SASS as it is presented today, but am not afraid of change.  I am afraid of losing it.  

I don't get why you think SASS "keeps going down the same path."  I joined in 1995 and every aspect of the game has changed dramatically since then, and it continues apace.

Topic was:  if I were King and there is a declining population what would I do?  First of all I really enjoy SASS just the way it is.  My kids have grown up in SASS and we are having a blast when we shoot.  I would not change too much, accept those skinny cowboys at longer distances and so many categories. I do not disagree that SASS has not made significant changes since 1995.  I have only been with SASS since 2011 and have not seen much change other than more categories, and more categories.  If that is a strong marketing move, stay with it.   If I were King I would behead anyone on the SASS wire that does not see the world the way I do, starting with you, and Shooting Bull, double tap!!!   

Archived