SASS Wire Forum

You are the King/ Queen of SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

Virtual reality game.

A VR game that is not a quest/ journey multi universe game.

Simply a shooting game at steel targets that immerses the shooter via VR headset.

Useful for demonstrating the game to potential shooters not at the range, (gunshow, fair, etc.)

Be able to setup (by operator) to shoot different distances, arrays, sizes, sweeps, and record your times.

Or multiplayer mode where you can shoot "heads up shooting style" against your buddy online.

Would be a great tool to show others our game and maybe a great practice tool between matches for current shooters.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Grey Beard said:

Nothing stopping you and a group of SASS shooters doing exactly that!  I guess what I'm saying is if we want our sport to grow each of us needs to take on a share of the responsibility.

I fully agree.

I started this thread to solicit ideas.

Some I knew would be ones that we have already done and hopefully some that we had yet to try.

But the biggest obstacle isn't necessarily refusing to do anything - it is not knowing what/ how to do something.

This is why some clubs would benefit from SASS assistance from professionally prepared video and marketing materials.

Having a consistent message.

Having marketing tools.

Having ideas to use the above.

47 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I fully agree.

I started this thread to solicit ideas.

Some I knew would be ones that we have already done and hopefully some that we had yet to try.

But the biggest obstacle isn't necessarily refusing to do anything - it is not knowing what/ how to do something.

This is why some clubs would benefit from SASS assistance from professionally prepared video and marketing materials.

Having a consistent message.

Having marketing tools.

Having ideas to use the above.

You're right on the money Creeker, it would have been nice to have a starting point and access to some resources all those years ago.  

Some of the things we've done to create our display is

• show off some our guns, to do that we simply built a couple display cases for the revolvers and racks for the rifles. 
  • Dress up in you cowboy clothes!  On some days we wear our shooting clothes but on Sundays we dress in our Sunday go to meeting clothes.  Nothing can promote CAS  like a properly dress cow-folk plus it gives us an excuse to wear the clothes we love. 
  • We gathered up our old chronicles for folks to read, most brought them back on day 2 with questions and a some bought memberships. 
  • We complied a video series of local shooters that ran throughout the shows.  The bang clang sound draws folks to our table like a magnet and the vendors near us liked it because it increased traffic at their tables.  I can say that a professionally produced shooting video by SASS would be a big help.
  • Make sure you have both male and female shooters manning the display.  It didn't take long to realize that many potential women are more likely to ask questions of the lady shooters.
  • Have a supply of personal business cards so folks can contact you after the show. 
  • Make sure you  
  • Don't be afraid to approach SASS for freebies to give away.  They have and still do provide things like pens, insulated drink holders, past issues of the Chronicle and more.  Our current SASS contact is Ruby Ruthless.  Just call or email her and she has always responded quickly. 

The list goes on and on but that's what my chemo soaked brain can remember off the top of my head right now.

My first exposure to SASS was from a poster pinned up outside a local steakhouse for a club close to me.  After a fashion, I went down to watch a match after looking SASS up and liking what I saw, I joined up.  

While gun show and hunting expo's exposure is good, the idea of advertising SASS in more heavily traveled places will garner much more exposure with potentially more interest.  Our local clubs have begun attending local historic parades shooting blanks while dressed in costume and have been a big hit with the audience that covers all age groups.  

You are appointed King or Queen of SASS; what steps would you take to turn cowboy action shooting around?

If I was king of SASS...

Black Powder would be the only acceptable propellant.  W.C.F. calibers would be the only acceptable rifle calibers, i.e. 32-20, 38-40, 44-40.  All ammo would have a minimum velocity of 700fps.  Target size would not exceed 16"x16" and the recommended distances outlined in the current rule book would have to be followed more closely.   Just joking...

In all seriousness though, I would suggest the following if SASS wants two draw young existing shooters and new shooters...

Allow movement so long as the 170* is not broken.  Allow all shotguns to start loaded with 2 shells and always allow for stoking 87 and 97s on the clock if the shooter wants.  Maximum target size of 16"x16" (with exceptions for bonus targets).  A minimum distance of 7yards for handguns, 8yards for shotguns, and 20yards for rifles.  700fps minimum velocity for all ammo (with exceptions made for some of the senior categories or shooters with a physical/medical disability).  It would also be helpful for new shooters if there was an official SASS list of approved factory available ammo.  Make Steampunk an official costume duelist/gunfighter category and allow this category to be an exception to the "external modifications" rule so long as the modification does not change the mechanics of the firearm.  Quarterly or at least annually advertise for a monthly match that allows new shooters to bring whatever they have and shoot whatever they own so long as it is with SASS legal ammo.  Just my 2 cents.

If I was king of SASS...

Black Powder would be the only acceptable propellant.  W.C.F. calibers would be the only acceptable rifle calibers, i.e. 32-20, 38-40, 44-40.  All ammo would have a minimum velocity of 700fps.  Target size would not exceed 16"x16" and the recommended distances outlined in the current rule book would have to be followed more closely.   Just joking...

In all seriousness though, I would suggest the following if SASS wants two draw young existing shooters and new shooters...

Allow movement so long as the 170* is not broken. Movement is already allowed, just can't shoot while moving. I know you meant allow shooting on the move. DISAGREE, and the reason is that there will be folks doing it that shouldn't be just because they are allowed.

Allow all shotguns to start loaded with 2 shells and always allow for stoking 87 and 97s on the clock if the shooter wants. 

Maximum target size of 16"x16" (with exceptions for bonus targets). 

A minimum distance of 7yards for handguns, 8yards for shotguns, and 20yards for rifles.  DISAGREE

700fps minimum velocity for all ammo (with exceptions made for some of the senior categories or shooters with a physical/medical disability).  It would also be helpful for new shooters if there was an official SASS list of approved factory available ammo. AGREE

Make Steampunk an official costume duelist/gunfighter(any style)category and allow this category to be an exception to the "external modifications" rule so long as the modification does not change the mechanics of the firearm AGREE

Quarterly or at least annually advertise for a monthly match that allows new shooters to bring whatever they have and shoot whatever they own so long as it is with SASS legal ammo.  Just my 2 cents.

You're king, but I'm feeling disagreeable today :P

I learned of SASS via a special hosted by Wolf Baine on the Outdoor Channel.  Prior to that I spent 9 years living within 5 miles of an active club and never knew anything about it.  

The biggest problem is most folks have never heard of CAS. Setting up a both at the local gun show is preaching to the choir. There is a large group of people out there that would come out and shoot with us if only we could reach out and let them know our game exists. I'd place ads in Ebony, Latina, GQ, and other popular magazines in order to start my media blitz. I don't care what color cowboy shooters are, I just want more bodies having fun at the range. I mentioned this years ago and thought I was going to get hung. First we need to come up with new slogans and really cool pictures that catch the eye of potential shooters. There are professionals that do this stuff. New shooters could care less about the rules and all of our crap on the wire, they are having too much fun to be concerned. Considering the powers that be have totally dropped the ball on marketing and don't seem to care about the growth of SASS just what signal are they putting out there. I'm probably not the only person that is TG, President, head stage writer, head stage setter upper, etc and I don't have time to work 50 hours a week and do promotion too. Clubs are literally 2-3 members from closing their doors and no one is stepping up to take their place. Everyone needs to step back and ask themselves "what is going to happen in the next two years if there are no changes made to marketing?" 

Wolf Bane shoots with me occasionally and he has some good input. Wish he would respond to this post.

Don't move Winter Range. It is a miracle that it still exists and gets better each year. Over the years, too many clubs have hosted great matches but their members burned out and the matches were discontinued. It would be a good idea to hold a regional match with help from SASS in areas that don't have a large, successful championship.

End of Trail is just fine where it is now. Moving is would not be successful. The convention was in an easy to reach location. It moved and was too hard to get a flight from many places. For that and other regions, the convention was dropped.

We could return to the original one revolver and long guns but .22s would be silly. I bring .22 revolvers, rifles and .410 and 20 gauge shotguns to matches for kid guests but for adults........  :-(

I also bring puny little .38 revolvers, rofles and leather to shoots for newbies to try. Perhaps clubs could do the same thing.

Mike Venturino (Iron Duke, SASS#913) was at one time a staunch advocate of CAS/SASS and his articles about it appeared in lots of publications.  I learned of CAS/SASS from an article of his about EoT in Shooting Times in 2002.  I've been a shooter all my life and had never heard of CAS/SASS until then.  So setting up a booth at the local gun show isn't "preaching to the choir" at all.

It is my understanding that Mike became disillusioned with the sport and left.  We haven't had such an advocate writing articles for the gun rags about CAS/SASS since.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/reviews/g64/1277291/?slide=1

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/the-gal-behind-the-lens/

If shooting on the move were legalized most people would be surprised at how little it would change things. 95+% would just barely break the old basketball rule of keeping one foot planted with a cocked gun. The way SASS stages are set up the pistol targets, for example, are not strung along the shooting line allowing someone to shoot them as they run by. Most shooters will quickly learn how little time they'd save vs how many more misses they'd get.  The very best shooters would be able to move more.

Western 3 gun stages are set up differently allowing the shooter to move down the shooting line or downrange engaging a couple of targets then moving to engage a couple of more. Most shooters end up moving then stopping and shooting then moving again. 

If shooting on the move were legalized most people would be surprised at how little it would change things. 95+% would just barely break the old basketball rule of keeping one foot planted with a cocked gun. The way SASS stages are set up the pistol targets, for example, are not strung along the shooting line allowing someone to shoot them as they run by. Most shooters will quickly learn how little time they'd save vs how many more misses they'd get.  The very best shooters would be able to move more.

Western 3 gun stages are set up differently allowing the shooter to move down the shooting line or downrange engaging a couple of targets then moving to engage a couple of more. Most shooters end up moving then stopping and shooting then moving again. 

You don't think our stage writers would adapt accordingly?

They could if SASS wants to change the usual stage setup. But you could still set up stages as they are now, allow movement. Anyone who wants to could shoot the same way they are now and others wouldn't have to worry about getting a penalty for shuffling both feet with a cocked firearm. A match director could set up a stage allowing more movement to see how shooters like it.

Just like two clubs in the same area might differ on having big and close vs big and a little farther targets and you see which0 one the shooters support.

I was assuming that most clubs would setup the same but just allow movement. Many clubs here don't have bays to allow the side to side or downrange movement that would allow the stage setup to be much different.

Target sizes, distances, movement, etc. are items that affect CURRENT shooters. 

They are NOT attracting or dissuading new shooters from playing.

Also we need to stop worrying about attracting shooters from other shooting sports - these shooters ALREADY have their thing and while some might cross over occasionally - it is not long term viable.

We have MANY times had modern three gunners come play with us - they laugh and have a great time...

And at the end of the match - they return to their chosen game.  

Not better not worse; but the one they already have the equipment and experience in.

For our game to grow; we have to entice non shooters, current shooters without a sport and new shooters to attempt our game.

Our game is plenty attractive as it is - IF we can get people to see it.

Surely, someone has some ideas beyond move Winter Range, outlaw short strokes and get rid of big targets.

Target sizes, distances, movement, etc. are items that affect CURRENT shooters. 

They are NOT attracting or dissuading new shooters from playing.

Also we need to stop worrying about attracting shooters from other shooting sports - these shooters ALREADY have their thing and while some might cross over occasionally - it is not long term viable.

We have MANY times had modern three gunners come play with us - they laugh and have a great time...

And at the end of the match - they return to their chosen game.  

Not better not worse; but the one they already have the equipment and experience in.

For our game to grow; we have to entice non shooters, current shooters without a sport and new shooters to attempt our game.

Our game is plenty attractive as it is - IF we can get people to see it.

Surely, someone has some ideas beyond move Winter Range, outlaw short strokes and get rid of big targets.

It's not about making changes because significant numbers of people are looking at SASS and deciding they don't like what they see.  It's about raising awareness that SASS even exists.  So, if I were King of SASS I would hire a great market research team and once they got back to me with their findings I would dump some money into advertising. 

I think we probably would need to start having competitions that have qualification requirements and cash prizes and I think we would also need to allow people to be sponsored and in some way represent their sponsors at matches. 

Edited to add:

At big matches and invitationals we would probably need to include at least a stage or two of targets that are small and far enough to present a more significant challenge for our type guns.  Maybe at least 10-15 yards for pistols and 20-30 yard rifles.  

To me … the guns that we use (in our game) are the ultimate BBQ guns.

They are unique, interesting and fun. It is hard for anyone not to be in awe when one is produced.

There are still "westerns" today … and very good ones … if for no other reason than being modern productions. There are plenty of re-runs too.

We have all see eyes light up when someone has encountered an "equipped" cowboy shooter. It's fun to see the smiles and interest of spectators.

Lots of folks buy a gun … for all kinds of reasons … AND … most of them are found in a drawer (after the owner has passed on) … along with a (mostly full) box of ammo … (the box that was bought at the same time as the gun). The most exposure those guns ever got were a few appearances on holidays and get togethers (BBQs).

SASS/Cowboy Action Shooting is the venue that provides the opportunity  to really enjoy and appreciate these guns. In a couple of matches you will likely have fired more rounds than any of those old cowboys and know them better than most people would believe possible.

Without Cowboy Action Shooting you could probably just get away with one  (gun) … pull it out of the drawer every once and a while to show off … do the 4 click thing and such and put it away again.

You wouldn't be pulling it from a holster; hosing down steel shotgun targets or ejecting rounds fast enough to make casual bystanders gasp … you would just have to daydream all of that. 

AND … you wouldn't be wearing that cowboy hat and silly cowboy clothes anywhere w/o looking like some kind of fool (except for Halloween possibly).

Cowboy Action Shooting legitimizes the wardrobe too!!

If people see it … see women and children doing it too … IMHO … a great many of them are going to want to get involved … AND … if they really want to get involved they will find a way to make it happen.   :rolleyes: 

I would hire a great market research team and once they got back to me with their findings I would dump some money into advertising.   

I don’t know the technical details of how its done but a SASS ad should pop up in the cell phone every time someone clicks on a news story about cowboys, western history, old west guns, western clothing, boots, hats,  shooting competition- you get the idea. This is the era of individually targeted advertising. Forget magazines and tv programs. We should be showing up more in social media and related news stories online on everyone’s phones and computers.

It's not about making changes because significant numbers of people are looking at SASS and deciding they don't like what they see.  It's about raising awareness that SASS even exists.  So, if I were King of SASS (cause I was assigned male at birth and that's what I identify with LOL) I would hire a great market research team and once they got back to me with their findings I would dump some money into advertising. 

I think we probably would need to start having competitions that have qualification requirements and cash prizes and I think we would also need to allow people to be sponsored and in some way represent their sponsors at matches. 

Edited to add:

At big matches and invitationals we would probably need to include at least a stage or two of targets that are small and far enough to present a more significant challenge for our type guns.  Maybe at least 10-15 yards for pistols and 20-30 yard rifles.  

As soon as cash prizes and big awards and sponsorships start to happen SASS as we know it will no longer exist.

Right now if the person in first place were to have a major firearm malfunction 5 people will step up to loan them a replacement to finish the match. Put money on the line and the response will be too bad so sad better luck next time. The Cowboy way will disappear so fast that it will be like it never existed. 

The rule book will become the size of an encyclopedia. Scoring will change with targets painted between each competitor as the protest over edge hits and inattentive spotters will require it.

If you want to send SASS to an early grave all you need to do is add prize money. 

Oh and all of us that could qualify for the broken cowboy category would be pushed aside.

The biggest problem is most folks have never heard of CAS. Setting up a both at the local gun show is preaching to the choir. There is a large group of people out there that would come out and shoot with us if only we could reach out and let them know our game exists. I'd place ads in Ebony, Latina, GQ, and other popular magazines in order to start my media blitz. I don't care what color cowboy shooters are, I just want more bodies having fun at the range. I mentioned this years ago and thought I was going to get hung. First we need to come up with new slogans and really cool pictures that catch the eye of potential shooters. There are professionals that do this stuff. New shooters could care less about the rules and all of our crap on the wire, they are having too much fun to be concerned. Considering the powers that be have totally dropped the ball on marketing and don't seem to care about the growth of SASS just what signal are they putting out there. I'm probably not the only person that is TG, President, head stage writer, head stage setter upper, etc and I don't have time to work 50 hours a week and do promotion too. Clubs are literally 2-3 members from closing their doors and no one is stepping up to take their place. Everyone needs to step back and ask themselves "what is going to happen in the next two years if there are no changes made to marketing?" 

Wolf Bane shoots with me occasionally and he has some good input. Wish he would respond to this post.

^^THIS^^

As soon as cash prizes and big awards and sponsorships start to happen SASS as we know it will no longer exist.

Right now if the person in first place were to have a major firearm malfunction 5 people will step up to loan then a replacement to finish the match. Put money on the line and the response will be too bad so sad better luck next time. 

The rule book will become the size of an encyclopedia. Scoring will change with targets painted between each competitor as the protest over edge hits and inattentive spotters will require it.

If you want to send SASS to an early grave all you need to do is add prize money. 

Dave if a top shooter in a major match experiences a ‘major malfunction’ they’re out. It doesn’t matter whether another competitor loans them equipment to finish the match. 

Most top shooters have their own backups anyway.

Mike Venturino (Iron Duke, SASS#913) 

It is my understanding that Mike became disillusioned with the sport and left.  We haven't had such an advocate writing articles for the gun rags about CAS/SASS since.

He became heavily involved BPCR.

OLG 

Mike Venturino (Iron Duke, SASS#913) was at one time a staunch advocate of CAS/SASS and his articles about it appeared in lots of publications.  I learned of CAS/SASS from an article of his about EoT in Shooting Times in 2002.  I've been a shooter all my life and had never heard of CAS/SASS until then.  So setting up a booth at the local gun show isn't "preaching to the choir" at all.

We used to see Mike Venturino out in this part of the country occasionally. Haven't seen or heard of him in years. Don't even know of he's still writing. He was all about shooting big bore guns 45's, 44's, etc. Taffin was a supporter also. The stuff those guys wrote was informative. However, it was only informative to those interested in their small niche. Most of our shooters today would have no idea of either of the writers mentioned.

I'm truly not adverse to a PRO category.

Separate and standalone.

Any SASS legal equipment.

AnySASS legal shooting style.

Four awards:

SASS smokeless PRO - Male & Female

SASS blackpowder PRO - Male & Female

Only those entering the PRO category could be sponsored or eligible for event cash prizes.

The PRO category shooter would not be eligible/ nor counted toward any prize/ awarding other than those in the PRO matrix.

Entry into PRO category would be entirely voluntarily - no one would be forced to the category.

Shooters may shoot Pro or not on an individual match basis.

Targets are repainted between shooters to facilitate scoring.

PRO shooters are posse'd together.

With volunteer/ or paid from sponsorships fees timer operators and range officers.

PRO is an offered match category (all levels) - matches are not required to provide cash prizes.

A PRO shooter sponsorship advertising will be limited to a "Western style vest" - all advertising will be embroidered or sewn on patches.  

Sizes/ placements of individual advertising will be examined/ approved by SASS.

Advertising content will be examined for sport and family suitability before approval.

Any PRO shooter entering into sponsorship agreement will forward to SASS the signed contract detailing the agreed upon value of said sponsorship.

The shooter or sponsor will remit 10% of this value to SASS to administer and add the PRO category.

In much the same way that seeing NASCAR on TV encourages folks to visit their local short track or build themselves a race car.

Having an amazing PRO division might just be that spark that brings national notice and the very best to our sport.

Just think about bringing Jasmine Jessie and Holy Terror back home to cowboy where they belong.

This brings money into SASS.

Brings more talent into SASS.

Reinvigorates our current ranking with firearms manufacturers.

Revitalizes the gunsmith wizards building our toys.

Takes the top level shooter (that chooses to move up) out of the rankings - which opens the door for many others to buckle and brag.

Perhaps increases shooter/ spectator attendence at our majors.

The rest of us are not affected in any manner. 

We continue to shoot our categories under our current rules.

Hmmm?

He became heavily involved BPCR.

OLG 

I followed the links OLG posted and read the articles.

1997 SASS World Championship had 528 shooters and 15,000 visitors.

Wow.

I followed the links OLG posted and read the articles.

1997 SASS World Championship had 528 shooters and 15,000 visitors.

Wow.

That's when there were less than 14,000 total members. 

I'm truly not adverse to a PRO category.

Separate and standalone.

Any SASS legal equipment.

AnySASS legal shooting style.

Four awards:

SASS smokeless PRO - Male & Female

SASS blackpowder PRO - Male & Female

Only those entering the PRO category could be sponsored or eligible for event cash prizes.

The PRO category shooter would not be eligible/ nor counted toward any prize/ awarding other than those in the PRO matrix.

Entry into PRO category would be entirely voluntarily - no one would be forced to the category.

Shooters may shoot Pro or not on an individual match basis.

Targets are repainted between shooters to facilitate scoring.

PRO shooters are posse'd together.

With volunteer/ or paid from sponsorships fees timer operators and range officers.

PRO is an offered match category (all levels) - matches are not required to provide cash prizes.

A PRO shooter sponsorship advertising will be limited to a "Western style vest" - all advertising will be embroidered or sewn on patches.  

Sizes/ placements of individual advertising will be examined/ approved by SASS.

Advertising content will be examined for sport and family suitability before approval.

Any PRO shooter entering into sponsorship agreement will forward to SASS the signed contract detailing the agreed upon value of said sponsorship.

The shooter or sponsor will remit 10% of this value to SASS to administer and add the PRO category.

In much the same way that seeing NASCAR on TV encourages folks to visit their local short track or build themselves a race car.

Having an amazing PRO division might just be that spark that brings national notice and the very best to our sport.

Just think about bringing Jasmine Jessie and Holy Terror back home to cowboy where they belong.

This brings money into SASS.

Brings more talent into SASS.

Reinvigorates our current ranking with firearms manufacturers.

Revitalizes the gunsmith wizards building our toys.

Takes the top level shooter (that chooses to move up) out of the rankings - which opens the door for many others to buckle and brag.

Perhaps increases shooter/ spectator attendence at our majors.

The rest of us are not affected in any manner. 

We continue to shoot our categories under our current rules.

Hmmm?

We had this same conversation last Saturday. So much for the alliances between shooters, they'd be enforcing rules  and the coaching would be over. We've had sponsored shooters for years and professional shooters have shot this game, just not as PRO CAS shooters. I don't know if I'd want to compete against shooters that moved back and forth. I played senior baseball until I was 37 and there were some PRO's that played with us and they were not really welcomed in the amateur leagues. Yes, there was a big difference in skill level, especially in pitching. Idaho John (John Shaw) comes to mind, he shot WR in 1999 and kicked everyone's butt and was pretty much asked not to return when he showed up at EOT. Never saw him at a SASS match again.   

I don't know if I'd want to compete against shooters that moved back and forth. there were some PRO's that played with us and they were not really welcomed in the amateur leagues. Yes, there was a big difference in skill level.

Don't we already compete against these shooters?

Let's face it - there ain't many, if any, that are coming in to the cowboy game and dethroning shooters like Matt Black.

All a PRO category does is allow us to reward and retain these top shooters in cowboy.

Garner some national attention to our sport by Team Pietta vs Team Uberti vs Team Ruger rivalry.

Allows more shooters opportunities to place at least one spot higher at World's or Nationals.

Maybe a blip in gun rag coverage.

A mention or two on Shooting USA that doesn't focus entirely on costuming.

Take that media coverage - couple that with the grass roots gun shows and flyers - maybe we have a chance to gather that next generation of shooters.

Maybe the investment in guns, leather, attire isn't so daunting if someday the shooter might be able to profit from it.

And maybe we simply get to expose the game to folks that missed it the first time around.

Also nothing says we can't change the game to reflect the PRO influence.

Maybe a PRO target distance vs amateur.

Same arrays - just differing distances?

And if we have to set two arrays of steel...

Maybe allow the Amateur shooter the choice of which target array to use with a time multiplier?

I.e. Shoot the amateur array; your time multiplier is 100%. 

Shoot the PRO array and your time multiplier is 80%. 

Example - the amateur array is:

Pistols @5 yards, shotgun @ 7 yards, rifle @10 yards.

PRO array is:

Pistols @8 yards, shotgun @10 yards, rifle @20 yards.

The amateur shooter could engage either array and take the multiplier against their raw time.

Penalties remain consistent.

So a 20 flat shooter on the Amateur array has a 20 second time.

(20 seconds x 100%)

A 25 flat shooter on the PRO array has a 

20 second time.

(25 seconds x 80%)

Match Directors could vary the multiplier on every stage depending on target arrays and distances.

Shooters could decide which array to engage in every stage.

Add an element of strategy to the game as well.

This opens the game back up to the "slower, but more accurate" group and gives more options to the shooter.

And may make the game more interesting to spectators.

We used to see Mike Venturino out in this part of the country occasionally. Haven't seen or heard of him in years. Don't even know of he's still writing. He was all about shooting big bore guns 45's, 44's, etc. Taffin was a supporter also. The stuff those guys wrote was informative. However, it was only informative to those interested in their small niche. Most of our shooters today would have no idea of either of the writers mentioned.

Mike is still a regular feature in Guns magazine. (Please subscribe.)

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/38-long-colt/

https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts/montana-musings/colt-saa-four-for-four/

https://gunsmagazine.com/handguns/the-3rd-generation-of-colt-saa-production/

While I am not Venturino or Taffin, my article on Wild Bunch will be out in Guns magazine in the spring. (Maybe January.)

My article on CAS /SASS/NCOWS should be out later in the year in Guns as well.

How about two phases of shooting. The first would be just like it is now. For example, at a State match you might have two five stage days, then awards. The third day the top 10% (or whatever percentage) shoot for cash/prizes, whatever shooting style they want, and can wear sponsor accouterments.

Ohhhh ... cash prizes??!? Would that be a "lost brass match"??

No one would show up if someone didn't pick their brass up!! After all ... it is like $17 a hundred or so ... ^_^

The TV stations could cut to commercial between shooters so the viewers wouldn't see it!! 

I have manned a CAS booth for 2 gun shows, the thing that surprised me was how many people didn't have a clue that there were CAS clubs in the area. Get the word out, put flyers up in any local gun shops,have a booth at gun shows,SASS will send you material if you call and ask for it maybe have a learn about CAS day at your range,I believe these things will bring in new shooters

My recommendation for movement would be "no" stand and deliver stages. Minimum of a couple steps between shoot positions, all the younger shooters I've spoken with enjoy more movement and have little interest in S&D shooting. If the shooter had to take a step or two in order to adjust for a window, doorway, or shoot position, no call.

Nothing excessive, just a few adjustments of current rules. I don't see the safety issue with moving as long as shooter is in control of firearms. 

Yes, I understand many shooters have mobility issues. Nothing says one must run to each position, you can still walk, mosey, whatever you need to do to get there.

It is Cowboy "Action" Shooting. 

Archived