SASS Wire Forum

You are the King/ Queen of SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Griff said:

1st - roll the clock back 35 years.

2nd - never allow any modification that alters the operation of rifle, shotgun or handgun from the parameters to which it was built.  Lighter springs and smoothing parts to ease operation... or, shortening stroke of lever stroke or hammer pull strictly verboten.  This would include "reprofiling hammers".  I.e., no SBH hammers on any model except the SBH, and other changes of this ilk.

Old-School-Like-A-Boss-Funny-Old-Man-Meme-Image.jpg

17 minutes ago, Assassin said:

That was tongue in cheek. 

I think the advertising budget was the tongue in cheek part, or maybe it was the 35 year rollback. 

I would be poor again, but 21 with Reagan as president. I’m not sure I could take the big hair of the eighties again. Yugos! New Coke!

24 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

May be just me, but I never would have joined if this were the case.

Cowboy crocheting on the clock.

1C00E78C-903F-4E9D-85A4-ACB20CD4020E.jpeg

2 hours ago, BootStrap Phil said:

A specific shooter said a specific action, "movement", would increase SASS growth and participation.

I asked HIM to define what he meant by movement. 

And hoped to follow that up with "Why?" did he believe that would increase participation.

Because one word answers rarely convey all the information needing to be shared.

Was he desiring shooting on the move?

For all firearms?

Greater distances between shooting positions?

Perhaps his local club serves a steady diet of stand and deliver?

But I certainly appreciate your especially clever pedantic posting of the links.

I just discovered this thing called a dictionary that defines singular words as well.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

4th - offer a free 1 year annual membership to any current member signing up a new member

How about three months?

https://www.sassnet.com/RAF.php

https://www.sassnet.com/mercantile/referafriend.php

12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I figured rolling back 35 years was the tongue in cheek. Or did he really mean that?

I'm thinking we'd all like to roll back the clock 35 years.

18 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I'm thinking we'd all like to roll back the clock 35 years.

I’d buy a life membership if they did that.

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

May be just me, but I never would have joined if this were the case.

Really, if there were no short stroked rifles or pistols, no one had them, essentially, no one had ever heard of them, you still wouldn't be interested in playing with cowboy guns?  You started playing only because there already were such modifications available?  

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

3rd- increase advertising budget, 35% x 0 =0 :o 

Maybe I misstated that... changed to read 35% of income... 

18 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Define movement.

In the reign of King Brimstone I, I would like to see 'engage targets as they are presented' style stages.  W3G probably is the closest discipline I could name.  Yes, I know they are more difficult to set up, but a stage like this, every so often, would be great:

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Really, if there were no short stroked rifles or pistols, no one had them, essentially, no one had ever heard of them, you still wouldn't be interested in playing with cowboy guns?  You started playing only because there already were such modifications available?  

Now Griff, that's not what I said. That's not what you said either. Here is a screenshot.

If I had to use essentially factory direct guns, I would not have joined. Trying to fire a factory 73 at any kind of speed, sucks. It is not fun to me. That factory set lever spring is the devil. 25% of the fun for me is to work over my guns.

Screenshot_20191120-070157_Chrome.jpg

Try marketing the shooting w/o so much emphasis on the dress.  I was having an action job on a Smith and asked the gunsmith if he wanted to see a video of Cody shooting.  He told me SASS is about the dress and not the shooting.  I was floored by his response as he has been building competition firearms for many years.  I wrote an article to see if there was an interest.  I do not want to say anything negative concerning the dress emphasis on the SASS rules.  It is part of what we do.  I would try marketing from another angle.   When Cody started shooting SASS I was not interested until watching the 2011 Winter Range.  Even then I really could not tell what was gong on from a distance.  It wasn't until the Top 16 shot off that I decided to join.  Those of you that were there may remember the tent where the two shooters had to enter and pick up a SAA Colt sitting on a table with 2 rounds and decide on how many rounds they needed to load on the final target.  Cody James-revised.docx2001668294_Codyearlieryearswithrifle.jpg.90534c92d67b057db7f9a188bd964a4b.jpg

If I were the King of SASS

I'd allow a 10 second "discount" off of shooting times for all shooters dressed as saloon girls.

20 seconds if they behaved like Saloon Girls

and a share of the match prize if they behaved like Soiled Doves

You want people to join the sport, give em what they want 

oh and I would order that Bisley Joe be hunted down and tarred and feathered for the start of each EOT

I can't add anything to what's been said and be positive.   

At the grass roots level.

The club we joined in 2013 lost their range that was on private property.  The new "club" found a new home in a regular gun club range.  I thought that the joining in at an established gun club would draw some of the existing members into our activities.  It didn't. I came to realize that most of the members were inactive.   Those active showed no interest in Cowboy Action Shooting. And after five years still don't. 

Sawmill Mary and I as well as other Cowboy Action Shooters joined the gubclub to have some input at the range.   We would make a report of sorts at the monthly meetings.  Never any discussion or interest by non-cowboy folks.  

The gun club has a Facebook page.   I got administration power and put event dates on the calendar.  I also post a paragraph report of latest match.  I have a YouTube channel that I make at least one video of each match.  I link the videos of latest match on the Facebook page.   Occasionally we get someone show up to watch that has stumbled on one of my videos. 

We have made up fliers to post in gunshops. I  don't know of anyone responding to them.

We have shot at other clubs and have been invited in the safely meeting to talk about our club and when and where.  I think we've picked up some shooters from this cross pollination.  

One problem we have is competing with larger regional matches that often fall on our weekend.  The hard core CAS tend to shoot at these matches rather than ours. It not only knocks down our attendance but we loose some of our best help running the local match.

We've bent over backwards to assist potential shooters to join in the fun.  We'll always make an offer to allow a possible new shooter try a stage.  We have loaned guns an ammo to fooks starting out to help them fill out their equipment list.  We've not converted many. We had one guy show up with three sons with nothing but an expectation to shoot.  We juggled guns and broke out ammo so all four could shoot a whole 6 stage match. They never came back.  

I like the idea of more working cowboy category.   I'll suggest a senior buckaroo category.  If limitations don't make it possible to shoot centerfire or heavy guns, then shoot aluminum frame 22s, lever and pump 22 rifles.  

11 hours ago, Brimstone Bill Willson said:

In the reign of King Brimstone I, I would like to see 'engage targets as they are presented' style stages.  W3G probably is the closest discipline I could name.  Yes, I know they are more difficult to set up, but a stage like this, every so often, would be great:

This is a little bit awesome!!! Where is this and how do I sign up!

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not so much these days.

OLG 

Unfortunately.:(

15 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Now Griff, that's not what I said. That's not what you said either. Here is a screenshot.

If I had to use essentially factory direct guns, I would not have joined. Trying to fire a factory 73 at any kind of speed, sucks. It is not fun to me. That factory set lever spring is the devil. 25% of the fun for me is to work over my guns.

I misstated my intent in the original post I made.  Now, modified to clarify.  Not allowing spring modification would have been hypocritical of me, it's one of the first things (and remains pretty much the only thing), I modified.

There are some rule changes I'd make, for example allowing moving while shooting with all guns (there are specifics regarding doing this safely that would have to be spelled out).   On that rule alone, I am MD for a NON-SASS affiliated club and I have at least 1 stage every match that specifically does not follow SASS rules regarding moving while shooting.  I spell out the safety rules and they are enforced rigorously.  The smiles after that stage are 2 are amazing.  Folks love it.  I'd really like to see some movement in that direction, and I'd be happy to help with the writing the rules.

But really, to grow, it's about marketing.  That would require a lot of A/B testing with a small spend to find the messages that work and then a bunch of $$$$$ to put it into place.  Pending finances, support for new local clubs with marketing budget and copy, along with targets and stands, and the "muscle" of an international org to help the host club decide they want to get going and then grow the local membership.  The list can go on and on.  But it requires $$$$$$. 

7 hours ago, Griff said:

I misstated my intent in the original post I made.  Now, modified to clarify.  Not allowing spring modification would have been hypocritical of me, it's one of the first things (and remains pretty much the only thing), I modified.

Oh ok. Yeah, I wouldve been fine with that and none the wiser.

Three common themes in a lot of these posts

First and most important in IMNSHO is advertising/marketing at the SASS HQ level.

You have to spend money to make money.

Second. Pay a professional to consolidate the Rule Books.

Three is less expensive way to get started. This can be broken down into a Category that requires only 2 or 3 firearms and a rimfire category.

Again JMNSHO but starting out both options only need to be available at the club monthly level. If you can afford to shoot at State or above you can afford the firearms to do so. Additionally, neither category needs the plethora of sub-categories that we currently have. Keep it simple; gender and number of firearms (Rifle/Pistol, 2 pistols, Rifle & 2 pistols). All participants shoot the same scenarios as everyone else just skip the targets the shooter doesn't have firearms for. 

Again these additional options are to attract new shooters and get them interested in CAS. They are about a less expensive way having fun and and enjoying the unique camaraderie of CAS and not the competition so keep the shooting style, and age breakdown out of it.  

8 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

There are some rule changes I'd make, for example allowing moving while shooting with all guns (there are specifics regarding doing this safely that would have to be spelled out).   On that rule alone, I am MD for a NON-SASS affiliated club and I have at least 1 stage every match that specifically does not follow SASS rules regarding moving while shooting.  I spell out the safety rules and they are enforced rigorously.  The smiles after that stage are 2 are amazing.  Folks love it.  I'd really like to see some movement in that direction, and I'd be happy to help with the writing the rules.

But really, to grow, it's about marketing.  That would require a lot of A/B testing with a small spend to find the messages that work and then a bunch of $$$$$ to put it into place.  Pending finances, support for new local clubs with marketing budget and copy, along with targets and stands, and the "muscle" of an international org to help the host club decide they want to get going and then grow the local membership.  The list can go on and on.  But it requires $$$$$$. 

Love this idea, sorta do this now with a lot of Downrange movement but adhere to SASS rules, liking the idea of a stage with 3 gun nation rules.....hmmmm thanks for the idea!

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I agree about the consolidating but I bet we could find a willing volunteer with the qualifications in our community to do it (and save some money). There is so much hidden talent as so many of us just do not know what they did/do in life past Cowboy.

In some of the folks I have gotten to know have found engineers, entrepreneurs (that should be on Shark Tank), authors, judges so if we put the call out bet we could find someone willing.

31 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I thought the Shooters handbook was a combination of all of them already. The RO1, RO2 & RO3 are just training manuals; am I misunderstanding?

I know there is no RO3 ;)

33 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I thought the Shooters handbook was a combination of all of them already. The RO1, RO2 & RO3 are just training manuals; am I misunderstanding?

I know there is no RO3 ;)

Tyrel,

You have much to learn.   RO3 is a guidance manual on proper ingredients and assembling of Nanner Splits.

:lol:

P.S. - This manual was partially authored by TN Williams.

..........Widder

25 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Tyrel,

You have much to learn.   RO3 is a guidance manual on proper ingredients and assembling of Nanner Splits.

:lol:

P.S. - This manual was partially authored by TN Williams.

..........Widder

Oh, that's right, I had forgotten.

There's even some pins:

RO3.jpg.af921a4c170b62db52c4d9aad1d7f6c8.jpg

Everytime I look up a video on YouTube I get an add in between videos. Can we get an add like that ? Does sass do a booth at shot show? Every state has multiple county fairs and there State Fair. There should b a group getting a booth at all of these fairs.

1. Entry cost is not an insurmountable burden. I have been a racing sailor/iceboater "forever". Kids getting into sailing have incur a greater cost that SASS yet the sport continues to grow. Ice Hockey sure ain't cheap. I was agoalie and placed quite a burden on my folks.

We Boy Scout volunteers in the West hold classes and competitions for kids using single action revolvers, lever rifles and doubles. We provide the firearms at our courses and matches. The kids love it.

SASS does have a desperate need for volunteers one Hell of a lot younger than me. Grandpas and Greatgrandpas can do well with their family but are a tad sistant from teenagers!!1

12 hours ago, Black RZR said:

Everytime I look up a video on YouTube I get an add in between videos. Can we get an add like that ? Does sass do a booth at shot show? Every state has multiple county fairs and there State Fair. There should b a group getting a booth at all of these fairs.

Fantastic ideas.

Brings me to another point.

There needs to be a SASS video / professionally filmed and edited that delivers a consistent message for clubs to use at these shows.

Instead of every singular club reinventing the wheel.

Also if we have this footage; we could approach every TV channel with a local events program (Good Morning city name type shows) and ask to come on (in costume) and discuss SASS using the script guidelines from SASS and informing them we have professional footage for their broadcast use.

12 hours ago, Black RZR said:

Nothing stopping you and a group of SASS shooters doing exactly that!  10 plus years ago 4 of us got together and booked a table at a gun show to promote Cowboy Action Shooting.  Today we have close to 200 badges sold and about 2/3 are still active.  Out of that 2/3 the majority are SASS members.  We have continued to do the gun shows to promote our sport and each show we recruit a couple more shooters.  Now different members do a total of  5 shows across our province throughout the year.  I guess what I'm saying is if we want our sport to grow each of us needs to take on a share of the responsibility.

Archived