SASS Wire Forum

You are the King/ Queen of SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

Ok, boys and girls...

Unlike the past where members of the Wild Bunch bragged about their disinterest in the SASS Wire - we KNOW that Misty and others read the wire and from time to time respond.

So here's your opportunity.

If you think that SASS is on a slow decline toward obscurity... 

And....

You are appointed King or Queen of SASS; what steps would you take to turn cowboy action shooting around?

I have zero interest in fatalism or "impossible".  

If your contribution amounts to, "Every one in SASS will be dead soon and the game with it" - please keep your comments to your self.

But if you have an idea, a plan, an inkling - that might help our game survive and even grow beyond our current climate.

Please share.

Also please keep in mind that the finances of SASS are not infinite.

Consider the financial, social and political costs of your idea.

Lastly; please be civil.

For all our differences of opinion; we all harbor a great protectiveness and love for this game - comment and adapt and alter others ideas if need be - but do it respectfully and with an eye on the prize.

That our children and grandchildren and theirs as well; be given the chance to play our game - celebrate our heritage (SASS and the Old West of these United States) and to so freely.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy JEDI Creeker.

I would 'consider' having either the Natl or World Championship somewhere east of the Mississippi

ever so often and alternate those championships.

The event itself would draw some spectator attention, especially if it were in the mid-south.

..........Widder

I cant speak for anyone but myself.... I personally think survival of the sport lies with each and everyone of us not just the supreme rulers of the game. I kinda treat SASS like any other small business. I share post, videos, etc and I to talk to other discipline shooters about our sport. I'm pretty sure most of the guys that I work with are tired of hearing about how my last match went lol. 

Our posse does all the usual things to recruit new members.  Articles in whatever publications we can get articles in, recruitment at outdoor expos, brochures and posters in guns shops and sporting good stores, etc.  It works, but it's a slow process and we can't bring them in as fast as we lose members.  I'm thinking we need to go "outside the box" a little bit.  I'm just not sure of how to go about it.  My wheels are turning but I don't have a plan.  I like this thread and maybe it will help us all to bring in some new members.
I don't feel that the loss of membership is only in SASS.  In today's society, the anti-gun mentality is an added determent to the shooting sports.  It's a much bigger picture that we need to look at.

I think if we limit ourselves in scope of search - we limit what we may find.

I'm not sure changes "within" our game that only our current participants will notice will do anything to make us grow or bring in the next generation.

That's why I don't believe moving the pistol targets out three yards further or doing the hokey pokey is the path to growth or that the cessation of same is the reason for our decline.

I believe our future is digital.

Networking, partnering and marketing.

Exposure is the cure for most things.

We need a strong YouTube presence.  This presence needs to be done with a goal and direction to every piece of marketing placed upon it.

A singular message about our game and invitation to participate.

It's time that the Chronicle goes to video magazine format.

This can be augmented and supported by linking to the myriad of independent channels - JediTV comes immediately to mind.

We need a presence on other YouTube channels:

Hickok 45, Yankee Marshal, etc. purport to be or to have been cowboy action shooters. 

They have millions of views and 1000's  upon 1000's of subscribers - it's time to partner up or request their help.

Wolf Bane is still appearing on TV regularly on various shooting shows.  So we have a contact.

SASS needs to step forward in cooperation with our firearms equipment manufacturers and importers to get cowboy action back on TV in some manner (a show, a segment or just Larry Potterfield talking about adjusting point of aim on a single action).

We need a poster presence thru Scully, Ariat, Stetson, etc. in every Western wear and boot store in the US.

Why is there not a single mention of cowboy action shooting in my local Boot Barn?  They're selling the shirts to play the game - but not mentioning the game?

If I purchase certain brands of firearm - I get literature to join the NRA.  

Am I  getting the same pamphlet in every Ruger Vaquero, Henry, Uberti, Pietta, Stoeger, Rossi to join SASS?

Isn't our survival in their best interest as well?

Comic Con visitors and Video gamers are young and have disposable financials. 

A booth or exposure might do wonders.

A pamphlet about SASS in Red Dead Redemption might gain a few eyes - especially in conjunction with a digital platform allowing immediate exposure online.

If the six degrees of separation actually exists then many of us know folks in positions of power, influence or exposure.  These folks may not have anything that directly connects to our game - but perhaps there are tangential connections that we might use to raise exposure?

A spark in a rainstorm means little; but that same spark in a forest of dried timber can become a raging fire.

We only need to see and pounce on the chance.

Here is the nub of an idea.  Lots of details to get worked out for sure, and I'm not a good enough organizer/politician to do it my own self, but for what it's worth:

Wouldn't it be great if there were high school and college teams competing against each other in cowboy action competition?

Standardize the equipment and ammo, provided by firearm and ammo manufacturers at no cost to the schools, so that gun handling skill is the only competitive factor.  .22s could be used, one set of guns on each stage so that each competitor uses the exact same guns, and that would reduce the investment necessary by the sponsoring companies.  No need for families to invest thousands of dollars in guns and equipment.

Interscholastic competition get lots of ink and air time.  Sure only a few schools in firearm-friendly locations will take advantage of the opportunity.  But everyone likes to brag on their kids and grandkids...when family members see young shooters being successful and having fun on the range, not only will cowboy action shooting grow, but so will all the other shooting sports.

It would just take two schools to get the program started.

1. Simplify the rules. Get the Matrix by Ripsae added to the rulebook and keep adjusting the current rules to make them simpler and easier to understand.

2. Add some "working cowboy" classes to the monthlies that don't require 4 guns.

I've mentioned this before but I think S.A.S.S. could create a few categories that would be official at monthlies and/or below state level annuals(at the MD discretion) and add them to the Handbook. 

For example:

Rifleman - Rifle and Shotgun

Pistolero - Revolvers and Shotgun

Working Cowboy - Rifle, Shotgun, 1 Revolver.

These classes wouldn't be at state and above matches and wouldn't be considered for overall, but it might get more folks to the monthlies.

3. Like Widder, I feel that Winter Range and EOT could be held East of the Mississippi occasionally.

4. Marketing, I haven't seen any at all around here  in a long time. I have no idea how to accomplish this. 

I think the hurdle of needing four guns is a huge issue. It was for me. And before someone says it costs the same to get into other shooting sports, I couldn't afford them either. It kept me out of it for 20 years. Raising two kids ate up most of my folding money. When I talk to folks somewhat interested in the sport, they balk at the idea of needing so many expensive guns. I think adopting the Working Cowboy category from NCOWS would greatly help out. One pistol and one rifle is all that's needed. The young folks that I find that are truly interested in this sport are not well-paid doctors and lawyers. They are auto mechanics, carpenters, HVAC technicians, and other blue-collar workers that remember watching John Wayne westerns with their folks.

14 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Standardize the equipment and ammo, provided by firearm and ammo manufacturers at no cost to the schools, so that gun handling skill is the only competitive factor.  .22s could be used, one set of guns on each stage so that each competitor uses the exact same guns, and that would reduce the investment necessary by the sponsoring companies.  No need for families to invest thousands of dollars in guns and equipment.

This makes sense. Florida State has a shooting team that shoots Steel Challenge and USPSA with us. They often share equipment, and they have some sponsors. Beretta sponsored them for a number of years providing them with guns.

29 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Here is the nub of an idea.  Lots of details to get worked out for sure, and I'm not a good enough organizer/politician to do it my own self, but for what it's worth:

Wouldn't it be great if there were high school and college teams competing against each other in cowboy action competition?

Interscholastic competition get lots of ink and air time.  Sure only a few schools in firearm-friendly locations will take advantage of the opportunity.  But everyone likes to brag on their kids and grandkids...when family members see young shooters being successful and having fun on the range, not only will cowboy action shooting grow, but so will all the other shooting sports.

It would just take two schools to get the program started.

The state of Alabama has a high school shotgun program. Maybe worth looking into. Does your state have anything similar?

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy JEDI Creeker.

I would 'consider' having either the Natl or World Championship somewhere east of the Mississippi

ever so often and alternate those championships.

The event itself would draw some spectator attention, especially if it were in the mid-south.

..........Widder

Good idea.

26 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I think the hurdle of needing four guns is a huge issue. It was for me. And before someone says it costs the same to get into other shooting sports, I couldn't afford them either. It kept me out of it for 20 years. Raising two kids ate up most of my folding money. When I talk to folks somewhat interested in the sport, they balk at the idea of needing so many expensive guns. I think adopting the Working Cowboy category from NCOWS would greatly help out. One pistol and one rifle is all that's needed. The young folks that I find that are truly interested in this sport are not well-paid doctors and lawyers. They are auto mechanics, carpenters, HVAC technicians, and other blue-collar workers that remember watching John Wayne westerns with their folks.

Difficult for stage writing I think. A bigger problem for folks with kids is time with all the stuff kids do these days the young parents may simply not have the time; I have a friends in that boat.

Total rebranding of SASS. Marketing blitz. Required target sizes and distances, not recommendations, if it's going to be a legitimate shooting sport it has to require a certain skill set.

Get rid of some restrictive rules, shoot with some movement. One or two steps isn't a big deal.

Monthly newsletter not a magazine, something simple to get people interested and include links to full articles and other info. 

EOT needs to be in a more centralized location. 

Reduce annual fees. 

No extra charge for annual and above shoots. 

Regional shoots are not centralized in the regions. Either move Regions or shoot locations.

HQ needs to listen to the shooters. 

$1.00 from every shooter goes to SASS from every monthly match, this will get money from Lifers, non-members, and current members, should offset the reduction in annual dues. Pay to play. 

National scoring data base.

My club shoots a Speed Steel event that regularly draws 80+ shooters in good weather and 60 when the rains arrive.  It can be shot with a $200 10-22 and a box of whatever is on sale bulk .22 ammo.  There are a lot of young adults shooting, including those with kids.  These people can get away once a month for a shoot.  

The cost of entry is ridiculously low.  Young men and women can pull together a couple of hundred dollars to shoot.  CAS requires a couple of thousand dollars.  Perhaps we need to look at making CAS a less expensive sport.  Say, a category using a Henry .22 rifle, single action rimfire revolvers (Maybe just one revolver) and, of course a shotgun (nothing really cheaper than a 12 gauge).  Possibly, a category that uses only rifle and pistol.

Moving Winter Range is a non-starter to me.  WR works because of the army of enthusiastic, dedicated volunteers and the truly awesome location.  These conditions very likely cannot be duplicated elsewhere.  SASS would be the loser with a move.  IMHO, EOT could work better almost anywhere but where it is.

5 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Total rebranding of SASS. Marketing blitz. Required target sizes and distances, not recommendations, if it's going to be a legitimate shooting sport it has to require a certain skill set.

Get rid of some restrictive rules, shoot with some movement. One or two steps isn't a big deal.

Monthly newsletter not a magazine, something simple to get people interested and include links to full articles and other info. 

EOT needs to be in a more centralized location. 

Reduce annual fees. 

No extra charge for annual and above shoots. 

Regional shoots are not centralized in the regions. Either move Regions or shoot locations.

HQ needs to listen to the shooters. 

$1.00 from every shooter goes to SASS from every monthly match, this will get money from Lifers, non-members, and current members, should offset the reduction in annual dues. Pay to play. 

National scoring data base.

Assassin,

Like were you are going with this, Rebranding and a restructure I believe would be first step. 

Thoughts:

• Marketing needed there is none to speak of at current time.
  • Practical shooting sports are growing exponentially, should take a look at these organizations and rules, we need to move more!
  • SHB-needs a overhaul as it is now there is interpretation and confusion on calls (just look at the wire), needs to read better.
  • EOT and Nationals should rotate get exposed to other areas and bring new shooters, at minimum believe the SASS community would enjoy this.
  • Saw earlier youtube presence Social media is huge and should be looked into more, have a small channel for club here in Utah https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4h9YBEUZe_7dKZY45Nx7hw
  • Look at organizations that are gaining steam like USCCA see if can get a relationship with them or use them as a marketing tool.
  • Love this one stealing- HQ listen to the little people, seems communication is lacking up and down the chain.
  • Easier way to address rules and ROC, faster process of updating rules been talking about the hammer on rifle for year or so and just went out for TG vote.
  • Need to think about catering to the next generation of shooters, official Steampunk category, maybe a Red Redemption category, help current categories out like B-western by getting rid of the 1894 and up rule, let 73's (is really shooting a 73 in B-western be that big of a deal?)in would open that category.
  • Look at Comic-Con style events. Regardless of opinion believe they are a lot more than just a fancy convention or new name for one.
  • Here's a popular one; maybe slim down the amount of categories? Would help small time clubs that struggle financially in saving some money on awards, and maybe help the organization as a whole also on monies. 
  • again look at our other shooting sports that are growing and take the good from them.

This will probably become a very interesting thread, but I do hope leadership reads through as they may see some ideas that can realistically be applied and or goals to work to if anything hearing what a small percent thinks. Thanks Assassin for the topic.

National And International Championships need to move every few years to venues that can draw spectators.

Need to quit relying on clubs and word of mouth advertising.

Guns of the Old west would be a good choice for a print ad.

Get a spot or tie in with video games like Red Dead Redemption and others that use old west firearms.

Coordinated Social media presence. Video is our best bet. Focus on the average shooters and not just the top 1%.

Now for the hard part...

Reign in the cost to get started at the club monthly level. If I ask today what to buy and took the most popular advice here on the wire It would add up to just shy of $5000.00 with all the gunsmith mods just to shoot your first match.  

SAA Clone $583 each

73 Rifle $1330.00

Stoeger SXS $400.00

Gun Leather $400.00

Progressive Reloading setup $500.00

Gunsmithing (just to make the above guns last longer than a year). $500.00

Gunsmithing ( popular mods like lowered hammer spurs and short strokes) $500.00

There has to be a less expensive way to get started. Everybody seems to push short stroking firearms for speed when the reality is that you will cut your stage times much more by practicing transitions than you will by short stroking your firearms.

Maybe we increase the time penalty for misses from 5 sec to 10 seconds. Now accuracy takes precedence over speed for the vast majority of shooters. Figure out how to get manufacturers to produce firearms that will not self destruct without paying a gunsmith to fix what should have never left the factory. 

4-H clubs have shooting sports - many have shotgun and some are venturing into IPSA.  Maybe SASS can try partnering with a local 4-H groups for a demo with full up SASS stage.  (Use the younger members of your club and maybe throw in a few black powder rounds for ooo's and ahhh's.)  Have a set of .22 pistols, a .22 rifle and a shotgun for them to try. 

1. Move the national and world championships on occasion.

2. Bigger "official sass" facebook presence.

3. My favorite would be: Offer some kind of discount or reward for every new member an existing member brings in. Free monthly match voucher is a good thought...or a nanner split.

4. Rule book is huge. Simplify it. Can start by making the defining terms actual definitions. Examples: In hand doesn't actually mean in hand....Firing line is not the actual firing line, it includes the LT and ULT. Fire a round from one of those and see what it gets ya. That should be the definition of the stage. Firing line should be the part of the stage you do your firing on.

5. Do something just for the fun of it. Maybe a national shooter rank by category averaged by matches. Maybe add a 3rd big match somewhere between a regional and the nationals. Call it whatever you want, I just think there's room for another big one. 

6. Did I mention nanner splits.

Pay a professional manual writer consolidate and organize the rule books. Nothing against the ROC but the three books need to be condensed into one that is professionally organized. Have the ROC review and provide feedback.

Another thought:

I think the idea mentioned by others in allowing .22's could actually be a 'growth' move.

Mixed with the idea of the 'Working Cowboy' category (allowing just 1 revolver), and this 

might enhance some growth.

P.S. - yes, I know that .22's are hard to spot but thats not what this thread is about.

Its about ideas/thoughts on SASS growth.

Good Thread, Creeker.   One of these Wire Yahoo's just might hit on a novel idea!

..........Widder

8 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Good Thread, Creeker.   One of these Wire Yahoo's just might hit on a novel idea!

..........Widder

Anything is better than whining and kvetching that the sky is falling and "somebody" needs to do something.

There are a lot of smart people playing this game.

And a lot of them has already dedicated years to growing their local clubs, their annual events and by extension, growing SASS.

All I'm asking for is a little spit balling.

Maybe we hit on something; maybe we don't.

If we don't; we are exactly no worse off than before this little exercise.

If we do...

Then I'll be the first in line to lead the charge.

Some say it's a losing battle and no one is going to listen or change.

That the status quo is good enough and if the game dies when we do, "So be it".

But personally; I think tilting at windmills is far more satisfying than crawling in a hole and pulling dirt down around yourself.

Don Quixote Creeker

Adding a Working Cowboy category would have zero affect on the stage writing. The rifle has the same amount of rounds. The pistol would be shot as if it were the first pistol of two. Since it would be a separate category the scores would have no impact on anyone else not in the same category. We already do this a our club and at time 40-50% of the shooters are shooting in the WC category. Plus with no shotgun, those with bad shoulders can still have fun and stay in the game longer.

I like many of the ideas I'm seeing. You have to get them in the pews before you can preach to 'em.

Some great ideas here! Thanks Creeker, great thread.

I do think we need a bigger social media presence, especially youtube. It's better if prospective shooters SEE what we do.

And GET THE WORD OUT! No matter how we can do it: shows (gunshows or dedicated CAS shows), pamphlets with other products, posters in Western supply stores/on their websites. Bring your kids, your friends, your friends' kids. This is an expensive venture... SHARE. most folks I know borrowed something until they could buy it. I do like the young shooters programs, but it is a slippery slope with the bad press "guns with schools" get.

I think moving EoT around is a great idea. I think most other big shoots (WR, CaC come to mind) have their own personality and are best suited staying where they are. I love NM, but lets face it, it's far away from anything but Albuquerque and as much as I love Founder's Ranch, some just don't.

Get TV stations to come to a match or practice day, film and interview people.  Get with sporting goods stores like Bass Pro and have cowboys show up dressed up and share experiences with possible future shooters.  Have your club have a table at gun shows where club members show up dressed up and have pictures of matches and clubs nearby.  Get with your friends that have kids or grandkids and bring them out to shoot at matches or practice days. If they can't afford the guns and ammo, furnish for them to let them try it and offer to share your "spare or backup guns" which many of us have available.  Get with any youth organization that you can and offer to have a day at your club where they can try out shooting under supervision and with borrowed guns and ammo your club member provide.

Leave successes alone.  Moving WR would just gut a very successful match.  It would take years to duplicate it elsewhere.

The number of categories is not a problem for local clubs.  It's just more entries in a scoring program.  Many clubs don't have an annual match.

Allow adults to shoots .22s.  That would eliminate the cost of reloading equipment and lessen ammo costs.  Further, .22 firearms are less expensive than centerfire firearms.  Centralized regionals is probably not possible.  From the number of regionals that move each year there seems to be a problem getting a club to host one.  I agree that marketing is a key.  I don't think youth are the target group.  CAS seems to appeal mainly to "empty nesters."  Wolf Bane was very helpful when he was involved in the sport.  I agree that further simplification of the rules is in order.

Saw several folks mention information pamphlet, Thought I would share our Tri-Fold created for Big Salty for others to have as a template all ready in a word doc.

Some great thoughts and ideas through this thread, there's a lot of talented people throughout SASS should tap into them.

Tri-Fold.docx

As mentioned advertising.  When the Chronicle was monthly could leave copies, these days not so much but as mentioned inserts in manufacturers good idea could have links to Youtube channel.

I cannot help but think incorporating some action i.e. movement ala western 3 gun would be good.

22 category and perhaps reduced gun interesting.

Most peopleI know do not reload just whatever is cheap off the shelf.  Perhaps 22 is the only way or targets would have to be further. 

Patrnering or presence at a Con is interesting, especially something like this one:

https://www.wildwestcon.com/

10 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

1. Move the national and world championships on occasion.

2. Bigger "official sass" facebook presence.

3. My favorite would be: Offer some kind of discount or reward for every new member an existing member brings in. Free monthly match voucher is a good thought...or a nanner split.

4. Rule book is huge. Simplify it. Can start by making the defining terms actual definitions. Examples: In hand doesn't actually mean in hand....Firing line is not the actual firing line, it includes the LT and ULT. Fire a round from one of those and see what it gets ya. That should be the definition of the stage. Firing line should be the part of the stage you do your firing on.

5. Do something just for the fun of it. Maybe a national shooter rank by category averaged by matches. Maybe add a 3rd big match somewhere between a regional and the nationals. Call it whatever you want, I just think there's room for another big one. 

6. Did I mention nanner splits.

20151217-194705-largejpg.jpg

25 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

As mentioned advertising.  When the Chronicle was monthly could leave copies, these days not so much but as mentioned inserts in manufacturers good idea could have links to Youtube channel.

I cannot help but think incorporating some action i.e. movement ala western 3 gun would be good.

22 category and perhaps reduced gun interesting.

Most peopleI know do not reload just whatever is cheap off the shelf.  Perhaps 22 is the only way or targets would have to be further. 

Patrnering or presence at a Con is interesting, especially something like this one:

https://www.wildwestcon.com/

Good idea that con is the weekend following WR. If we wanted we could get a couple hundred SASS Shooters there.  Even if we were there for just one day it would leave an impression. About $45 for a single day. 

Here is an idea nobody has mentioned.

Have your local cowboy club get a table at the next gun show.  Man it with cowboys, cowgirls, and buckaroos  wearing their western best. Exhibit all of the firearms that are used in the game. Play videos of "regular folks" shooting stages.

Our local rod & gun club did this a few years ago to promote our trap and skeet program. We got some new members.

Lucky grin_zpsebe960c5.png

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Leave successes alone.  Moving WR would just gut a very successful match.  It would take years to duplicate it elsewhere.  From the number of regionals that move each year there seems to be a problem getting a club to host one. 

I do not agree with the first part of this statement. There are several clubs in the Southeast that could, and have handled large Regional shoots. I do agree with the second part. The clubs in the Southeast that successfully handled these shoots in the past just kind of burned out and stopped holding them. Not much new blood coming in and the old guys just kind of give out.

Lucky

I have only been in this great sport a little while. I had never heard of it before. I bought a gun from Texas Jacks and saw something about SASS. I started looking on line and the first info I saw was the Kracker Krew videos from Florida and the Longhunter how to videos. Watching the Florida members like Santa Fe River Stan, Dang it Dan and Delta Glen was pretty inspiring and they also showed younger shooters and newer shooters. Then look at the Longhunter videos and start seeing how to info. Sure did get me excited about it. Like mentioned above, more Youtube presence with help from pards with experience like Jedi Knight and others would greatly help get the word out and maybe attract new members.

Just my Opinion

Jax T

106617L

Check into other gun clubs in your area to see if any of them are putting on a NRA Youth fest and volunteer to do a CAS demonstration for them. You could set up a quick stage and show the different categories of SASS, BP,Duelist, etc. You might get interest from the clubs members as well as the younger crowd there.

I personally don't want to see EOT or WR moved.  They are what they are and their location is part of that.  I do agree that it would be awesome to have an equally huge match east of the Mississippi.  It would be terrific to attend a match of that size and caliber and not have to drive over 20 hours to do so.  SASS had tried the idea of adding divisional matches, which would have had the potential to be largely attended, but it was at a time when our numbers were beginning to fall.  The entire concept failed and here we are still hoping to rebuild our ranks.  T Bone puts on a hugely popular match in Texas that attracts hundreds and sells out quickly.  Coming up with an idea for a big match that draws spectators and publicity is the kind of thinking we need.  We don't want to hurt a popular match by moving it's location or date.  

There's been some good ideas here and this is the kind of brainstorming we need - big ideas, small ideas, tried and true, and new ideas.  I have contacted some publications, both print and online and offered to submit articles.  I have one or two working with me and am still waiting on responses from others.  We drop our brochures in other clubs, gun shops, gun shows, etc.  The brochures are published annually and include our match dates.  Our range is in a pretty rural area but little micro breweries and wineries with country bands seems to be the way they entertain.  I hope to get some of our club's brochures in some of these locales next.  It's a small idea but it could bring in a few spectators.  Spectators become shooters.  And, new shooters are one of our best recruiting tools!

Archived