SASS Wire Forum

Winchester WST

Turkey Flats Jack

Anyone using this powder in 45 colt or 44-40 loads? I dont generally load smokeless powder but got a good deal on a couple pounds of it. The only data I can find for pistols that I load for are 45 acp and 38 spl. For all the more I load in those calibers i'll have to pass on most of it to my surviving relatives when I pass.

Thanks for the help folks

T.F. Jack

I load all my .45 Colt loads, and .45 auto, and Cowboy 45 Special too, with WST.  It's also a great powder for a 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge load.  It would be very easy to sell that powder to clay target shotgunners, or Wild Bunch shooters!

Good luck, GJ

11 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I load all my .45 Colt loads, and .45 auto, and Cowboy 45 Special too, with WST.  It's also a great powder for a 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge load.  It would be very easy to sell that powder to clay target shotgunners, or Wild Bunch shooters!

Good luck, GJ

Yeah i've looked at the shotshell loads for it. but I dont load any smokeless shotshells. I have no desire to really sell it. I mean if I knew someone that could use it locally i'd let them have some for what it cost me.  If you dont mind sharing what's your load for 45 colt? Or even what you consider a safe starting point for a 200 gr cast bullet in 45 colt case using wst. I have no problems working up my own loads but definitely feel better with a known starting point.  

Thanks,

T.F. Jack

I shoot 5.8 grains WST under a 200 grain bullet for Cowboy.  Probably could go lower - but I haven't tried.

And a 6.2 grain load of WST with same slug for Wild Bunch, to make 170 PF, so that velocity is about 850 FPS from my rifle.

The 6.2 load is clean, the 5.8 load does soot up the cases a little.   I don't do any annealing - which always will make for less blowby and sooting.  But, it doesn't bother me - I clean all cases after firing.   Hardly any difference in recoil to me between them.

Good luck, GJ

Archived