SASS Wire Forum

Bought the Yoder Pellet Smoker

Doc Shapiro

So I followed the advice and bought the Yoder YS640s (https://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html).  Yesterday I filled up the hopper with Mesquite pellets and did a basic cook of 5 racks of ribs.  Dang were they good!

This afternoon I connected it to my WiFi and installed/setup the app - which was super easy.  It's really nice to be able to monitor from in the house. 

I also showed my wife how to work it. 

So, with a smoker in CA; how many Clean Air Act and EPA forms do you need to complete to register that puppy, prior to use? :lol:

41 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

So, with a smoker in CA; how many Clean Air Act and EPA forms do you need to complete to register that puppy, prior to use? :lol:

None. 

Great, Doc. Glad you got yourself a smoker. There are so many things you can do with it. 

My guys used to bake pizza on the one we had at work after smoking it for a half hour or so. Wow! Is that ever good!

Pizza is on the list. I can see 3 accessories/upgrades. The 2 piece damper will make life easier for my wife, that will be first. Then the sear grates and maybe the cast iron skillet. 

Now I need to figure out where to store the power cord and the temp probes...

Congratulations, you bought a great smoker. You’ll be amazed at the food that you can turn out in one of those. 

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

57 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

None. 

Yet.

Los Angeles a few years ago tried to outlaw charcoal barbecues....  Didn't fly.  ;)

57 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Now I need to figure out where to store the power cord and the temp probes...

I store my temp probes in a gallon ziplock bag after cleaning and drying. I wrap the cord up and stow it under my grill cover. 

59 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yet.

Los Angeles a few years ago tried to outlaw charcoal barbecues....  Didn't fly.  ;)

When I was stationed in the PRoK they managed to outlaw starting fluid for charcoal grills. Had to use one of these.

Image result for charcoal chimney

Can't remember if they managed to outlaw the match light briquettes or not. 

33 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When I was stationed in the PRoK they managed to outlaw starting fluid for charcoal grills. Had to use one of these.

What part of the state...?  :huh:

We still have lighter fluid - but I still have one of those.  Works great ~ and I never worry 'bout running outta lighter fluid any more!  ^_^

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Image result for charcoal chimney

There isn’t a shortage of charcoal lighter down here. Most grocery stores and hardware stores sell it. I use one of the charcoal chimneys pictured here because it does a better job.

I just made the trip for the Lumberjack pellets yesterday, 8.99 at Dicks as someone else pointed out and appreciate that.

the grill grates work good, just watch the temp as it will go up past a ways and then back down....kind of works good that way to sear it right off of time it well otherwise suggest wait until stable.

i have the griddle only used it like twice, heavy sucker.

i do wish I had the 2 piece diffuser but 160 bucks...feel like it should be an upgrade to buy when order so I don’t have a 50 pound extra plate laying around.  

congrats on it, I know we like ours for everything and it’s pretty darn easy.  Tri tip is the favorite but even cooking burgers indirect I think they come out a lot juicier.  Pizzas come off good as well.

4 hours ago, JD Lud said:

I just made the trip for the Lumberjack pellets yesterday, 8.99 at Dicks as someone else pointed out and appreciate that.

Costco has 33# bags of Traeger “Gourmet” pellets (cherry, hickory, mesquite mix, if I remember correctly) for $20. Best deal I have found on pellets. 

Anything else I can do to drive your business away from Dicks?

Good point on Dicks...I don’t buy anything else there.  Unfortunately they are the only source for Lumberjack I have found in the PNW, and the pellets provide the best smoke flavor out of any others I have tried.  Tried the Costco Traeger ones and they are one of the “all taste the same” pellets which to me is 90% of what I have tried.

Lumberjack Hickory or char hickory when I can find them...

15 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

What part of the state...?  :huh:

We still have lighter fluid - but I still have one of those.  Works great ~ and I never worry 'bout running outta lighter fluid any more!  ^_^

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

There isn’t a shortage of charcoal lighter down here. Most grocery stores and hardware stores sell it. I use one of the charcoal chimneys pictured here because it does a better job.

Would have been the late 1980s or early 90s I was stationed at Pt Mugu at the time. Remember it because the wife and I were living in a large RV and did a lot of cooking on a charcoal grill.  I agree that they work a lot better than lighter fluid and I still use one whenever I am cooking with charcoal.  I have been known to put a small grate on top of one and cook thin steaks that way. Also a great way to sear a steak when a cheap grill is incapable of generating sufficent heat. I learned it as the 'Afterburner Method". Requires you to turn the steak over every 30 seconds but done correctly it makes an awesome steak.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Would have been the late 1980s or early 90s I was stationed at Pt Mugu at the time. Remember it because the wife and I were living in a large RV and did a lot of cooking on a charcoal grill.  I agree that they work a lot better than lighter fluid and I still use one whenever I am cooking with charcoal.  I have been known to put a small grate on top of one and cook thin steaks that way. Also a great way to sear a steak when a cheap grill is incapable of generating sufficent heat. I learned it as the 'Afterburner Method". Requires you to turn the steak over every 30 seconds but done correctly it makes an awesome steak.

Found it.

Barbecue Curbs: No Need to Fume Yet : Consumers: A ban on charcoal lighter fluid or pre-soaked briquettes won’t take effect until 1992.

S. CALIFORNIA STAMPS OUT BARBECUING WITH CHARCOAL

As an aside here's something I tried with ours that was amazing. Took a three pound tri-tip, seasoned it, and plopped it in a sous vide at 125 degrees for 11 hours. Then fired up the searing feature on our pellet smoker and finished it up to 130 degrees. The thing had a crust and you could cut it with a fork!!

Congrats on the new smoker. We love ours, it is amazing. Our first was a charcoal grill with a firebox on one end, practically useless though I was able to smoke a couple butts on it.

Archived