SASS Wire Forum

Uberti rifle barrel specs

Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104

Thread pitch would be the outside of the barrel, where it screws into the receiver.  Rate of twist is the inside impacting the travel of the bullet thru bore and the spin imparted to the bullet.  As I understand the question, that link doesn't give the answer.

Old Uberti, or new?  Just like the data on the link above does not apply to pre-2004 bore dimensions, Uberti may have changed barrel shank thread dimensions at some point, or multiple times.  If you are thinking about rebarelling an action, better to measure what you have, as a start.

My current round barrel at the chamber end is .798 OD with 16 tpi with no factory parts available.  If it was a smidgen thicker at the muzzle (.675), I would simply put a liner in it.  I'm looking for a compatible barrel on the used market in 38WCF or 44WCF.  So far I have found a Navy Arms that is .920 OD with 16 tpi that would require minor machining.  Winchester is close in OD but is 20 tpi.  I may have to go new but it doesn't hurt to explore other options.

4 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

My current round barrel at the chamber end is .798 OD with 16 tpi with no factory parts available.  If it was a smidgen thicker at the muzzle (.675), I would simply put a liner in it.  I'm looking for a compatible barrel on the used market in 38WCF or 44WCF.  So far I have found a Navy Arms that is .920 OD with 16 tpi that would require minor machining.  Winchester is close in OD but is 20 tpi.  I may have to go new but it doesn't hurt to explore other options.

What length are you looking for. carbine or short rifle?

1 hour ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

I got a 357 in the 19.5" carbine. Stub is  16 TPI on .795+- dia.

Rebore???

Now that could be a possibility, although might be more economical to get a new barrel threaded in the end.  I'll need to research doing a rebore.

22 hours ago, Griff said:

Thread pitch would be the outside of the barrel, where it screws into the receiver.  Rate of twist is the inside impacting the travel of the bullet thru bore and the spin imparted to the bullet.  As I understand the question, that link doesn't give the answer.

OOPPS my mistake, apologies all.:blush:

13 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Now that could be a possibility, although might be more economical to get a new barrel threaded in the end.  I'll need to research doing a rebore.

Rebore is usually about the same price or less than a re-line and a lot less than relining a small dia round barrel for sure. It will be less than a worked up new barrel blank, too. Particularly if you have to do the taper to match, the dovetails and blueing.

I have a barrel guy that has done several re-bores for me. Let me know if you need his info.

8 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Rebore is usually about the same price or less than a re-line and a lot less than relining a small dia round barrel for sure. It will be less than a worked up new barrel blank, too. Particularly if you have to do the taper to match, the dovetails and blueing.

I have a barrel guy that has done several re-bores for me. Let me know if you need his info.

Thanks a bunch.  I'll let you know if I need the info.

JJ...

Let's connect realtime - I may have a 19˝ barrel for you. What length are you looking for? Are you shooting at PRVC this weekend?

RR

2 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

JJ...

Let's connect realtime - I may have a 19˝ barrel for you. What length are you looking for? Are you shooting at PRVC this weekend?

RR

19" will work just fine.

I plan on being there.  Who wants to miss the Shootout at the OK Corral?

Archived