SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Heat Shield from Mernickle Holsters by Howlin' Wolf

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

These could be mandatory when using black, especially in the summer months.

I had a leather craftsman make me one at match, designed it so it stopped at the end of the forearm, but after a year of usage, it stretched, and not slides down two inches. It's nice cause I can take it off easily, and care to the barrel to prevent rust, but not nice cause it stretched.

You think this Mernickle piece will have stretch concerns?  

Oh, and once it's fitted, is can it be slid off to prevent rust?

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

It’s my understanding that you don’t really have much choice. If I heard correctly SASS rule says they’re not allowed to be attached.

You are correct Grasshopper.

I keep one of these in my guncart in case somebody ever writes a 12 shotgun stage again.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/957662224

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

It’s my understanding that you don’t really have much choice. If I heard correctly SASS rule says they’re not allowed to be attached.

As in permanently?

The rules mention a 'slide on leather cover'. 

I rule has something to do with people wrapping material around the forearm and barrel, not for protection, but to keep the actual gun together.  Many moons ago I recall somebody rigged something like this up at a monthly, and some point, the whole gun fell apart.  Shooter was not allowed to use that gun, at that club, ever again, until is was properly repaired.

8 hours ago, Cemetery said:

As in permanently?

The rules mention a 'slide on leather cover'. 

I rule has something to do with people wrapping material around the forearm and barrel, not for protection, but to keep the actual gun together.  Many moons ago I recall somebody rigged something like this up at a monthly, and some point, the whole gun fell apart.  Shooter was not allowed to use that gun, at that club, ever again, until is was properly repaired.

You’re not allowed to fix it in place with screws or nails. 

20 hours ago, Cemetery said:

These could be mandatory when using black, especially in the summer months.

I had a leather craftsman make me one at match, designed it so it stopped at the end of the forearm, but after a year of usage, it stretched, and not slides down two inches. It's nice cause I can take it off easily, and care to the barrel to prevent rust, but not nice cause it stretched.

You think this Mernickle piece will have stretch concerns?  

Oh, and once it's fitted, is can it be slid off to prevent rust?

It is leather, so yes, my guess is that with time it will stretch.  But, that’s just a guess and perhaps Howlin’ Wolf will come on and educate us further. 

As for removal, gosh I wish I had remembered to cover this in my video, yes it comes off easily for disassembly, moving and storage. I will probably make a follow-up to show that process.  

On 11/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

It is leather, so yes, my guess is that with time it will stretch.  But, that’s just a guess and perhaps Howlin’ Wolf will come on and educate us further. 

As for removal, gosh I wish I had remembered to cover this in my video, yes it comes off easily for disassembly, moving and storage. I will probably make a follow-up to show that process.  

Howdy all ,

thanks Jedi for the kind words. To answer some questions we make two sizes one for all shotguns kind of a one size fits all. And one for the smaller TTN. The leather is designed to be molded tight to the gun. As with all leather it may stretch a bit overtime but you can always rewet and tighten it up. We allowed enough room for this. 

thanks

Howlin Wolf 

18 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Iffin one really gets down on the gun, might make it some difficult to see the front sight  :o

Who uses the front sight on a CAS shotgun?

Lucky

Me too :ph34r:

On 11/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Iffin one really gets down on the gun, might make it some difficult to see the front sight  :o

That’s certainly a possibility but I’ve been using a similar sleeve for quite a while and never had that problem. 

That’s certainly a possibility but I’ve been using a similar sleeve for quite a while and never had that problem. 

Ummmm.

I believe they were referring to using the front site.

I shoot with you enough to know that neither of us do that.  :D

Ummmm.

I believe they were referring to using the front site.

I shoot with you enough to know that neither of us do that.  :D

I was wondering if/when somebody was going to pounce on that juicy set up.  Remind me again, are you Abbot and I'm Costello or is it the other way around? :lol:

I was wondering if/when somebody was going to pounce on that juicy set up.  Remind me again, are you Abbot and I'm Costello or is it the other way around? :lol:

I'm not sure...

I'm thinking we are both too bulky to be Abbott and too tall to be Costello.

Martin and Lewis maybe?

Nah.

Martin was too debonair for either of us.

Sigfried and Roy?

Googling their personal relationship... 

Uhm, perhaps not.

Wayne Flowers and Madam?

No.  That doesn't work at all. 

I never wear a boa.

Shields and Yarnell?

Yeah, right. 

Like either one of us could be quiet.

I'll study on it...

I've used a different brand that I got from Johnny Meadows on my SKB for two years now.  I comes off with a little effort and I remove it to wipe the barrels down with an oil rag after each shoot.  I also check that it's on snuggly at the loading table each time I shoot a stage.  It's purpose, for me, is not to protect from heat, but to help take stress off the forend barrel lug.  My barrel lug detached.  We tried to epoxy it back in place (this technique has worked for many).  Unfortunately, this "fix" didn't work for me.  Once I had the barrel lug soldered back in place, like factory specs, I have used the leather sleeve to help alleviate stress on the repaired lug.    

After the epoxy fix failed, I looked for someone to weld or solder the lug back on.  Lassiter has welded some back on, but it's a tricky procedure.  I finally called SKB and talked to their service department.  They use and, highly recommend, Mitch Schultz from Southport, Ct (his contact info is listed below).  I sent my gun to Mitch and he did a wonderful job.  It wasn't cheap - $300 plus shipping, but I wasn't going to let my $1,500 SKB become a "wall-hanger". 

Mitch Schultz

Gunsmithing Limited

3 Lacey Place

Southport, CT  06890

(203) 254-0436 

Archived