SASS Wire Forum

The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

Muley Gil SASS # 57795

I read the thread about the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond and I have similar feelings. I have Scottish ancestors too and I always get a thrill down my spine when the pipes are played.

But, my heart is stuck here in the New World. I was born in Virginia and have ancestors who came to Virginia from Wales in the 17th century. I spent most of my childhood living in Maryland. My great grandmother was a Stewart whose family was kicked out of England in the 1600s. My favorite road trip growing up was when we would go drive the Skyline Drive in Virginia. That's when I first felt my love for the Blue Ridge mountains. 

After a short, 29 year delay living in Alabama :D, I was able to move to Southwest Virginia. I was blessed to find a piece of land with pasture, spring branches (small streams for you flatlanders) and a bold creek through the bottom land. Here I hope to live out my remaining years. 

This song sums up how I feel:

https://www.bluegrassnet.com/lyrics/blue-ridge-cabin-home#.Xc9Nm25Fy70

My dad's people (Scots and some Irish, a few Welsh and a Walloon or two thrown in for spice) came to Virginia about eight years after the Mayflower landed.  They settled in the Massenutten (SP?) area and some still live there.

A few of them started moving west within a couple of years and were in what is now SW Missouri by about 1750 or thereabouts.  I moved to central arizona 5 1/2 years ago and finally felt like I was "home" at last.

I retired to the central Shenandoah Valley, from CT, in 2015. Look W and it's the ridge and valley Appalachian Mtns. Look E and it's the Blue Ridge Mtns. 

I can drive 7 min, and be on either the BRP or Skyline Dr.

Would not trade this place, or my views, even to see an honest man in Congress.

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My dad's people (Scots and some Irish, a few Welsh and a Walloon or two thrown in for spice) came to Virginia about eight years after the Mayflower landed.  They settled in the Massenutten (SP?) area and some still live there.

A few of them started moving west within a couple of years and were in what is now SW Missouri by about 1750 or thereabouts.  I moved to central arizona 5 1/2 years ago and finally felt like I was "home" at last.

I moved to Arizona 18 years ago from Illinois, and I realized that Arizona was the home I had searched for most of my life, (I've seen and been to 40 of our 50 states).  Lived and worked down in the Valley (Phoenix) for the first 13 years before retiring and moving up north to the high desert area around Prescott. Now settled in the Antelope Valley area in Prescott Valley, I am content and at peace with finally being home.  

• 2 weeks later...

My wife tells me that mine arrived on the Mayflower, made their way west, where my branch settled in Idaho.
I left at age 17, came back a couple times, but found it was not "home".
Moved around, spent a few in Colorado, that wasn't "home" either.
Back to CA, still not "home"... just a paid-off place to hang my hat.

Archived