SASS Wire Forum

Can-Can

Subdeacon Joe

MOST Excellent~!!  :lol:

Impossible to listen to without your feet moving!  ^_^

And by the way... I'm much more likely to open a thread entitled "Can-Can" started by Subdeacon Joe than Alpo.  With all due respect to both!  :P

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

How many of us got introduced to classical music through Bugs Bunny or Fantasia?

The Lone Ranger!

A confession:

Watching a multitude of videos like unto these, is the exact reason a certain (harrumph) saloon of mention (harrumph) paid good money to its piano players, why said saloon had a stage, and why a certain lovely lass and the other dancers flanking her,  wore feathered masks ... so a certain (harrumph) town of mention (harrumph) would not know the daughter of a respected businesswoman was disporting herself most shamelessly on stage, to the approbation of the men assembled!

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Okay! That was fun. But, I have a serious (maybe Alpoesque:rolleyes: ) question. Do conductors really serve a purpose?;) Or, are they merely for comic relief?:o

Conductors are supposed to.

I played in the band for 6 years, and I would have hated to have tried to play for that guy - Zubin whoever. Half the time he did not appear to be in rhythm with the music. And since he is supposed to be giving you the rhythm, the orchestra was apparently ignoring him.

He looked, to me, more like he was trying to entertain the audience, than he was trying to lead the orchestra.

9 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

How many of us got introduced to classical music through Bugs Bunny or Fantasia?

Fantasia #1 !!!!  I was inspired to take classical violin training! 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Conductors are supposed to.

I played in the band for 6 years, and I would have hated to have tried to play for that guy - Zubin whoever. Half the time he did not appear to be in rhythm with the music. And since he is supposed to be giving you the rhythm, the orchestra was apparently ignoring him.

He looked, to me, more like he was trying to entertain the audience, than he was trying to lead the orchestra.

Makes me feel better that  was not the only one that thought the conductor was out of time with the music.

6 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Fantasia #1 !!!!  I was inspired to take classical violin training! 

Fantasia!

What kid didn't have wake-up-screaming nightmares after "Night on Bald Mountain...?"  :unsure:

The Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra 100th Anniversary Special Concert

This is one of the most inspired renditions I have heard for the William Tell Overture
(Lone Ranger theme)

8 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Maybe I’m weird, but I loved that sequence, and still do. 

Ha!  Not weird at all!  It's excellent, 'specially considering it was created almost eighty years ago!   :)

But when I first saw it at age four or five, it was terrifying... made more so by a mean ol' aunt (my dear Aunt Bea, who was all of 12 years old at the time) whose primary delight in life was to scare the dickens out of her little nephew by any means possible.  As I recall, she assured me that the demons were quite real, and their sole purpose was to find and eat little boys - and I was on their list.  devil.gif

Fortunately, she mellowed considerably with age... and is now a sweet li'l ol' lady living in the foothills.  :wub:

10 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Maybe I’m weird, but I loved that sequence, and still do. 

My favorite movement.  Not for the animation or the story it's telling but for the violin parts.

https://youtu.be/gyPFibRadto

12 hours ago, bgavin said:

The Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra 100th Anniversary Special Concert

This is one of the most inspired renditions I have heard for the William Tell Overture
(Lone Ranger theme)

Holy Cow!

Over The Top!

Fan-Stinking-Tastic!

Archived