SASS Wire Forum

All Brass .410

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I would assume that most of us know of the existence 12 and 20 gauge Magtech all brass shotgun hulls.   They also make all brass .410 hulls.  

But that got me to thinking about those guns out there that are chambered for .45 Colt/.410 shotshells.

The .45 Colt case is 1.28" long.   The Magtech .410's is 2.5" long.   It seems to me that you could load .45 Colt shotshells, probably using plastic shot capsules, and use them in a .410 shotgun.  

For that matter the .454 Casull is 1.38" long and the .460 S&W is 1.8" long.  Now obviously loading anything the pressures loaded to what those cartridges are normally loaded too and trying to shot them in a .410 shotgun would be foolish.   However, it would seem to me that even the .460 used to create shotshells would be using less powder than the actual .410's would use.   It would seem to me that these would be viable "subloads" for use in a .410.   The only thing I can think of that would pose a problem would be getting .41 caliber shot capsules.  I'd wager that .45 caliber capsules, even though they are plastic, could get stuck in the .410's bore.

Now, I freely admit that I am doing a lot of seeming here.    I have zero experience with the .410, but I do load all brass 20 and 12 gauge.    Has anyone else ever thought of this or tried it?

At the moment this is essentially a theoretical thought experiment; I don't even own a .410.

Thoughts/comments?

Might want to check your laws up there. Down in the PRK handguns that fire shotgun rounds like Bond Arms, Taurus Judge, and others are considered short barreled shotguns and illegal to possess.

.444 Marlin Brass is what you need .... Makes Dandy Shotshell fer da Pups to shoot ....

The brass is 2.5 inches long ....

Jabez Cowboy

11 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

.444 Marlin Brass is what you need .... Makes Dandy Shotshell fer da Pups to shoot ....

Jabez Cowboy

There's an interesting addition.   The .45 calibers will not fit in my .410 Enfield.   But the .444 Marlin brass fits like a glove.   

That being said, since it's 2.5" long, that's the same length as .410 Magtech brass.   Doesn't seem like it's useful for a "sub load."   But that being said, .444 Brass is probably easier to obtain that the .410 stuff.   If it can be used in a standard .410, that's an interesting tidbit of information.

It can and has been done in doubles by several Buckaroos ,,,, and has also been used in the Winchester 94 , 410 lever for grouse ....

And is cheaper than Mag Tec Brass Shotshells  ,,,, Just buy Star-line it's the cheapest ... Unless you have a ready supply of .444 brass ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have loaded several hundred rounds of 410 brass shells in 444 cases.   The cases last for many loads and almost never split.  Because you don't  crimp the brass you can make very minimal loads to very powerful loads.   The load does not have to fill the entire case.   Whether you load brass cases or plastic the best smokeless powder I have found is called LIL GUN.  This powder is designed for the 410.  I have loaded several thousand 410 in plastic cases mostly AA and the main problem is the empty cases will not fall out of the shotgun after firing them.   My little stoeger has been through three daughters shooting for the past many years.  Bullett 19707

My problem with the 444 was they would slip past the extracter on a stoeger 410.

Largo

I too have seen .444 Marlin used in .410 scatterguns for young shooters.

I bought a used Stoeger that had been slightly over modified for chamfered.  Removed the extractor and moved some metal by cold opening.  Moved 1/32" or so.  No cracks and has worked well for 250 rounds or so.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, largo casey #19191 said:

My problem with the 444 was they would slip past the extracter on a stoeger 410.

Largo

Hoging out the Chambers seems to get a Might carried away by some ,,,,, to the point of making guns unsuited for use ....

I have seen some reamed out so far that the firing pin has trouble reaching the primer ... Causing extreme head-space ....

Jabez Cowboy

On 11/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Jabez Cowboy

I believe 444 Marlin brass is only a bit over 2.2", Magtech brass shotgun shells are 2.5".

444 Marlin brass is solid head, and IMHO should give slightly more reliable ignition with light loads. Magtech brass is balloon head, more capacity for full power loads with BP.

I don't have samples to measure; I believe 444 Marlin brass has somewhat thicker walls than 410 Magtech brass. The proper size of wad may vary between the 2. 

And if loaded for a 410 shotgun, the dangers of inadvertent shooting a round so loaded in your 444 Marlin would not be dangerous.

BB 

Archived