SASS Wire Forum

Weak hunting round?

Alpo

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Why wouldn't he?  Don't you keep pictures of all your guns in your wallet? 

I had to upgrade my wallet and then buy a second one cause sitting on the bulge was making my back hurt. 

Well, you should have put a picture of a vibrator and 2 Ibuprofen in your wallet and your back problems

would go away..... :lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, you should have put a picture of a vibrator and 2 Ibuprofen in your wallet and your back problems

would go away..... :lol:

..........Widder

I don't know if it'll work or not but as soon as I read this I put a picture of Mae West in my wallet.:ph34r:

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Found it. Right betwixt the headlights.

BobandHog.jpg

UB,

I have the same Marlin 60. The one with the longer mag tube that holds 14 rd of 22LR. Tack driver.

44 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

UB,

I have the same Marlin 60. The one with the longer mag tube that holds 14 rd of 22LR. Tack driver.

I did have to run the mag dry. Once on a big one with some serious tusks. He moved just as I shot and the hit wasn’t terminal. Nicked the spine and rendered his back legs useless. He took offense and came right at me through a clearing. I pumped 14 rounds into him. The 357 put him down about 10 feet from me. He was a legendary beast we had spotted several times. My buddy had named him Volkswagen. 

25 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

How did it go from Deer Hunting to Hogs ???

Jabez Cowboy

Its the Wire..... :lol:

Give it another page and somebody will be talking about the size of airline seats..... ;)

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Its the Wire..... :lol:

Give it another page and somebody will be talking about the size of airline seats..... ;)

..........Widder

Or, Ford vs Chevy, Ava vs Winona, Maryann vs Ginger, etc.....

It is getting close to Winter time.

10 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

How did it go from Deer Hunting to Hogs ???

Jabez Cowboy

Hogs are hard to kill too.

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Yeah and if they take up two airline seats they should have to pay for both

Not if they're considered a travel companion, solace pet. 

Alpo originally asked what the weakest round you consider hunting deer was (or, I guess, has been).

For me it was the .218 Bee.  For those not familiar with it, Winchester brought out the cartridge in the '30s to "one up" the .22 Hornet.  It was formed by necking down a .25-20 WCF case.  It launched a 46 grain hollowpoint in the neighborhood of 2800 fps.  

I was a whopping eleven years old when Daddy put his Winchester '92 so chambered in my eager hands.  So, to review: 11 year old kid, open sights, pipsqueak cartridge...what could POSSIBLY go wrong?  Well, the Lord evidently looks after drunks, fools and 11 year olds because I took my first buck with one shot with that rig!

My current minimum?  I'll happily kill a whitetail with a .223 (proper bullets only please) if conditions warrant that I can insure EXACT shot placement.  A far better "minimum" answer (for me anyway) is the 6mmx45mm (a .223 necked up to 6mm). 

"Ad"

Factory .218 on the left, handloaded .218, .25-20, .32-20

The Wee Ones.jpg

For Modern Centerfire Rifles I consider the 6 mm. Remington or the .250 - 3000 as Minimum  for our Deer and 250 Yards about Max ...

The 25-06  can stretch the Range to 350 Yards if conditions are Right ....

The .270 Win , .300 WSM , 375 Ruger Will handle Deer and Elk and Moose .... 

Jabez Cowboy

On 11/15/2019 at 6:07 PM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The 22 rifle I bought when I was 16 had been owned by a friend's uncle.  The uncle regularly killed deer while spotlighting with that rifle, with one round to the head at no more than 25 yards.  He insisted that he'd never lost one shot with that rifle.  

Still got that rifle.  Sears Ranger 101.16.  

I have a Stevens Favorite in .25 Stevens rimfire long that I think someone in my wife's family used in the same capacity to feed the family way back when.

Archived