SASS Wire Forum

Help with Ruger Vaquero cylinder issue

Sasparilla Groz

I am looking to purchase an old Ruger Bisley Vaquero.  The cylinder shows some strange wear marks and I do not have any history on what happened.   Has anyone seen this before?   Any recommendations on what may have happened or how to repair it?    Your experience is appreciated!

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6298.JPG

My guess is that the cylinder got locked up and someone shoved a screwdriver in there to try and advance the cylinder. 

I do not know how to fix it or if it needs fixing.  Worst case is probably that you need to weld more material onto the ratchet and then reform it all. 

I'll wait for a real gunsmith to show up, I just wanted to get my guess in for what happened. 

Forcing cylinder rotation past high primers perhaps?

I'd check pawl face,  pawl pivot "pin", cylinder base pin, locking bolt and bolt cuts in the cylinder, hammer's pin holes for damage, too.

If the "vertical" part of the ledges on the star are still in good shape, gently stoning the beveled parts of the star will probably keep the gun running well.   But damage to the vertical part (where the pawl face advances the cylinder) is much more serious and might require Tigging up the star and recutting the bevels and vertical faces.

Couple of the star's faces that rotate against the frame are raised-deformed so as to be dragging and marking the metal of the frame - that can be safely stoned down "level" again without much worry, too.

Sad to see a nice gun boogered up (sometimes done by someone other than the owner of the gun, in my experience).

Good luck, GJ

It could be from a poorly done short stroke effort that had the timing misadjusted, so the cylinder lock (bolt) closed before the second tooth of the pawl reached the top of its stroke, causing adverse force to be applied against the cylinder ratchet (but not enough to jamb the rotation).  

It might not show on the pawl itself, because the SS parts could now be removed, and stock parts replaced, except for the pretty cylinder.  

IMHO, If the gun now works, enjoy and shoot it.  The history/curiosity is unimportant unless it affects functionality.  

10 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Now who in the world would take a pretty gun like that and mar it all up. 

Yuk, yuk!!

Who indeed?    That would be the guy who says, “Here, hold my beer!  There ain’t nothing to this gunsmith crap!“   :lol:

19 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Yuk, yuk!!

Who indeed?    That would be the guy who says, “Here, hold my beer!  There ain’t nothing to this gunsmith crap!“   :lol:

I believe I know this gunsmith.

4 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Yuk, yuk!!

I screwed up the star ratchet on one of my New Vaqueros trying to improve the timing (while a friend was holding my beer).  I sent it back to Ruger  after calling them and telling them that I had screwed it up and it was several years out of warranty anyway.  I’m not sure if they replaced the cylinder or just press-fit a new ratchet, but it came back about two weeks later like new.

They did not change any other parts and also did not charge me anything, even the returnpostage.  

If function is affected, I’d suggest calling Ruger and taking their advice.

I'm with Cypress Sam on this one.  I'd send it back to Ruger.  I have always had very good experiences with their service department.  I've never had to pay for work to fix a Ruger gun, but, even if they said there would be a charge, I would let them fix it.

Thanks everyone.  I have shot this one in several matches to try it out.  It shot well in the last match and I had no issues.  However, in a couple previous matches I noticed when I short stroked the hammer and failed to advance the cylinder it "locked up" and the hammer would not pull back again without much force (I stopped) and then gently rotated the cylinder until it functioned again.  Based on your feedback that seems to indicate a potential timing issue.  I think calling Ruger might be a good idea as well.

If this gun has been modified (slicked up at all) then you don't want to send it back to Ruger. They will restore it back to factory specs . Didn't you read the thread from Chantilly Shooter when Stoeger sent his shotgun back with unsafe to fire Sharpied all over it. Now if you can just send the cylinder you may be OK.

2 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

if you can just send the cylinder you may be OK.

Strongly doubt they would be willing to work on a cylinder only.  Their management of risk of firearm failure since the 1980s would mean they want the whole gun to ensure nothing else is out of factory specs.

Good luck, GJ

13 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

If this gun has been modified (slicked up at all) then you don't want to send it back to Ruger. They will restore it back to factory specs . Didn't you read the thread from Chantilly Shooter when Stoeger sent his shotgun back with unsafe to fire Sharpied all over it. Now if you can just send the cylinder you may be OK.

Ruger didn’t do that with mine.  I took out the short stroke parts, but modified springs and other parts were returned as I sent them.  Mine still have the transfer bars though.  They may re-install safety devices.

Your help and wisdom are appreciated.  I have decided to sent it to Ruger.  I figure I would rather have a working pistol than a piece that could have been slicked up by the guy that is holding Cypress Sam's beer....

This seems to be that someone tried to modify the pawl to make the cylinder to be free spin.  The pawl was modified without disassembly therefore the scratches (file marks) you see on the recoil shield of the Ruger. Filing an incorrect angle on the pawl will result on gouging the ratchet and sometimes will lock up the cylinder. The marks on the cylinder ratchet looks bad but changing the pawl to an unmodified pawl, the cylinder will function as it should.  However the gouges on the ratchet may alter the shape of the pawl in time.  Sending it to Ruger is a wise choice.

22 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

This seems to be that someone tried to modify the pawl to make the cylinder to be free spin. 

Bingo ! The angle of the scratches on the frame match the angle on the top step of the pawl.

Archived