SASS Wire Forum

Average cost?

Quizcat

You will probably need to include more specifics.  For instance:

1) What are they? Cap n ball, Colts, Rugers, Piettas

2) What do you want done? Tune them, smooth them out, time them, hammer conversion, cylinder conversions, cap rakes,  transfer bar removal, etc..

3)  What is your ultimate goal?  Speed, smoothness, style points, ease of operation, etc.

You might be better off to ask for people that have a good reputation for quality work and, once you have two or three names, talk to them personally to determine what you are trying to accomplish and what you can afford.

The reason I say this is because you can buy a pistol for $200 and easily spend $600 getting it modified in all sorts of ways.

IIRC, you are thinking about Uberti's? Can't help you there. My wife's new model Rugers  were about $300 ea. plus shipping. Rugers were about $220 ea. Two different smiths. And my smith shoots with our club, so I didn't have to ship.

About 200.00 per gun is about normal .

23 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The cost of the gunsmith is nothing compared to the cost of practice ammo. 

reliability above all else. 

doc

"Practice" ammo?  Is that a special kind of evernay issmay stealth ammo?  So, if I spend the extra money on "practice" ammo I won't miss as much as I do shooting my regular reloads?  I've got to find out where to get this black magic ammo.   Ooo, important question, can I get it loaded with Black Powder?

Man, I've still got a lot to learn about this game.  My so called "friends" never mentioned this secret to me.  I thought cowboys didn't keep secrets.

Angus

Just to SEND THEM is about $130.00, one way, from you to your gunsmith. 

See Below

Your FFL can send handguns via US Mail.  You may not ship handguns via US Mail.

That cost is about $20.00 for a USPS Large Flat-Rate Box, plus about $35 or $40 for insurance.  (That may be a tad high or low...depends on the guns’ declared value).

Your local FFL fee to you should be $50-$70.  Make sure YOUR LOCAL FFL fee is for his services to send and receive back, too

So, —- total “shipping and handling” fees would be (one way), about $130.00.  

Thus DOES NOT include shipping and handling for shipment back to your FFL by the gunsmith.  So that is something else to consider.

The scene from “Smokey and the Bandit” comes to mind where Burt says “I’ll need a car to run interference.” [rich guy’s flunky counts out a stack of bills].

”A fast car.”  [flunky counts out more bills into Burt’s hand]

”Faster than that.”

Don't know if there is an "average" cost.  It would be best to just call the gunsmith of your choice and talk to them about what you want.

Several gunsmiths with websites publish their rates.

Such as Jimmy Spurs:  Cowboy Gun Works

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

See Below

That cost is about $20.00 for a USPS Large Flat-Rate Box, plus about $35 or $40 for insurance.  (That may be a tad high or low...depends on the guns’ declared value).

Your local FFL fee to you should be $50-$70.  Make sure YOUR LOCAL FFL fee is for his services to send and receive back, too

Thus DOES NOT include shipping and handling for shipment back to your FFL by the gunsmith.  So that is something else to consider.

My FFL will ship my guns anywhere(1 exception) for $15 + actual shipping/insurance cost; I typically figure that out ahead of time and give him that and a little extra and tell him to keep the change. 

The gunsmith can ship your guns back to you directly.

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

See Below

Quizcat has an FFL.  So shipping shouldn't be much a problem for him.  Deciding which gunsmith and what he actually wants done to the guns might be the biggest hurdle.

1 hour ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The scene from “Smokey and the Bandit” comes to mind where Burt says “I’ll need a car to run interference.” [rich guy’s flunky counts out a stack of bills].

”A fast car.”  [flunky counts out more bills into Burt’s hand]

”Faster than that.”

Kinda like having a race horse or a cuttin' horse at the trainers.......

"One more month out'a really make a difference on him."......

Okay folks, that’s wha it costs me here.   YMMV

FACTS ARE:  

USPS Flat rate box is the same to all

USPS Insurance on $3k in firearms is $40+

——-  That mileage won’t vary.

If you’re getting some extra special deal from a local federal firearms licensee, then good on you.

CB

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

Quizcat has an FFL.  So shipping shouldn't be much a problem for him.  Deciding which gunsmith and what he actually wants done to the guns might be the biggest hurdle.

Yep, you've been payin' close attention. I should have been more specific.  I ship handguns via USPS Flat Rate, usually under about $25.00, insured,  What I really should have asked is for some referals to some gunsmith's that specialize in CAS, and about what to expect as far as cost. 

I have enough experience as an FFL over the last 40 years to know better than to take it to just anyone claiming to be a "good gunsmith."  I have my own "good gunsmiths" pegged for most things, but I think this CAS stuff is kind of a specialty.  There are too many "gunsmiths" that hang out a shingle that wouldn't be qualified to address CAS tuning.  I figured I would be wisest to inquire with the guys that are really into CAS, and have had the experience of having their guns tuned...the guys on the Wire came immediately to mind.  

I'm thinking I'll start out with the Ruger #5159, KNV34FD New Vaquero 357/38spl, Talo, 4-5/8" barrel, Stainless, with the short/wide hammer spur.  But, they're still made on a production line, need to be tightened up a bit, springs, polishing, etc...for smoother, and tighter function.  I figured maybe I can send them off to be tuned while I'm recovering from surgery.  I'll check into Cowboy Gun Works, thanks!

Quality work with just a standard action job will cost a minimum of 300.00 per gun without shipping.

Another option is to purchase the revolvers from a gunsmith with the action work already done.  Longhunter Shooting Supply is one such source.

The New Vaqueros are not bad out of the box.  Most rifles need action work.  The shotguns do for sure.  Not as necessary with revolvers.

2 hours ago, Quizcat said:

I'm thinking I'll start out with the Ruger #5159, KNV34FD New Vaquero 357/38spl, Talo, 4-5/8" barrel, Stainless, with the short/wide hammer spur.  But, they're still made on a production line, need to be tightened up a bit, springs, polishing, etc...for smoother, and tighter function.  I figured maybe I can send them off to be tuned while I'm recovering from surgery.  I'll check into Cowboy Gun Works, thanks!

There are several gunsmiths who can do all the work, including short-stroke on Ruger Revolvers.

Three Cut

Cowboy Gun Works

Shotgun Boogie

Western Gun Works

Boomstick Arms

Lassiter

and more...

All these are run by Cowboy shooters and know what we need/want for the game

1 hour ago, Quizcat said:

Nothing wrong with Jimmy Spurs, but you might want to check with Cowboy Carty, too. (Western Gun Works)  My wife had Jimmy work hers. I had Carty do mine. Both are silky smooth, but they have a totally different feel when you pull the trigger. 

A well-known smith just quoted $800 to race my two OMVs: short-stroke, tune and lighten, 11 degree forcing cones, brass front sights, sighted in for 10 yards with my loads.

Probably a good deal for that amount of work, but it was just easier to buy a new pair of Pietta 1951 Navies and spread the wear and tear for the next several years.

What got me started thinking about the Rugers needing to be tuned was this You Tube video, which concentrated mostly on Colt SAA and Ruger SAA revolvers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW_nYCgPsgQ&t=36s

I didn't have time to watch the whole video yet, since it's about three hours long.  But, after having watched about an hour of the video, it illustrated to me areas where the Rugers, as production-line revolvers, probably need some attention to make them run smoother, and tighter for accuracy, even though the gunsmith in the video admits the Rugers are probably the most durable and desireable of the CAS production line revolvers right out of the box.    

Anybody know the name of the gunsmith, and/or the gunsmith's shop, that 's affiliated with the video?  I think he must be located in Missouri, where I live, based on things he mentioned in the video that suggested he is located in Missouri.

While accuracy truly is a good thing in shooting, you don't need to hit 16" x 16" steel plate set 3 to 5 yards out dead center when you're looking out shoot as fast as you can. 

Archived