SASS Wire Forum

Gangs vs. Teams

Colonel Kraken

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but reading the shooter's handbooks for SASS and Wild Bunch why are groups of shooters (edited for clarification: when talking about side matches - not when talking about posses) called "teams" instead of "gangs". Gangs would seem like the more western appropriate term. I was just wondering. Also wanted to let you know that some newbies do read the rules :D.  Cheers

Not a dumb question; but one I’ve never heard before. Probably just because Team is a recognized term in shooting and all other sports. Or maybe because nobody thought of it. And a Gang has kind of a negative connotation to some folks.

I don’t really know.

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

a negative connotation to some folks

I thought about that. I think it was more common back in the day to use the term gang, and it had fewer negative connotations. A work gang was a pretty common term. Now days you do almost always hear "gang" used as a negative. I'd still argue it sounds cooler.

30 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but reading the shooter's handbooks for SASS and Wild Bunch why are groups of shooters called "teams" instead of "gangs". Gangs would seem like the more western appropriate term. I was just wondering. Also wanted to let you know that some newbies do read the rules :D.  Cheers

Because if you're part of a gang, all your guns must be stolen and you have to shoot your pistols sideways like a "gangsta".:unsure:

29 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Because if you're part of a gang, all your guns must be stolen and you have to shoot your pistols sideways like a "gangsta".:unsure:

And, you can't hit a damned thang.

You mean "posses" don't ya? I've never heard gangs or teams, unless you're referring to a "Team shoot" at a side match.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

a "Team shoot" at a side match.

Yes I mean in the side matches. Posses are always posses. I was referring to when the rules are talking about teams for side matches.

30 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

Yes I mean in the side matches. Posses are always posses. I was referring to when the rules are talking about teams for side matches.

Ah, okay.
I think “teams” sounds better. You have to remember that SASS started in Southern California so “gangs” has a definite negative connotation. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

SASS started in Southern California so “gangs” has a definite negative connotation

It's not just "Crips and Bloods" type gangs.

Jesse James had a gang. Butch Cavendish had a gang.

The Texas Rangers had a posse.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

...Gang has kind of a negative connotation to some folks.

Yep.  As a retired Law Dawg who spent most of his career in the drug-infested, gang-ridden cesspools, I'd think twice about it.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Side matches?. Regular shoots are still posses.

3 hours ago, Colonel Kraken said:

We've always called them "Teams" when we had "Team shoots" in side matches. Usually comprised of 3 or 4 shooters, rifle, shotgun, handguns shooting at various targets or breaking a board, or shooting a rubber snake and making it go over the drawn line. etc.

YES TEAM SHOOTS!!

It’s foolish, left wing, politically correct and a host of other adjectives, including cowardly, to NOT USE the term “GANG” where in the historical perspective of our Old West shooting sport, it is appropriate to do so.

I reckon talking a good show is good enough?  There’s nothing to gain in our sport except to shoot for time, accuracy and procedure.  

Anyway, we should use the term gang where appropriate to follow our historical roots.  I don’t like the PC, Corporate BS term, “team”.  It stinks, and smacks of its rancid origins of phony, feel-good, dirty politics.

Remember that recent topic regarding the nonsense, Big-Lie PC global warming, carbon transfer BS?  Well, embracing “team,” rather than using an appropriate “gang,” where it is due is caving in to that same stinking philosophy, which most of us despise the most!!   

Cat Brules

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

It’s foolish, left wing, politically correct and a host of other adjectives, including cowardly, to NOT USE the term “GANG” where in the historical perspective of our Old West shooting sport, it is appropriate to do so.

I reckon talking a good show is good enough?  There’s nothing to gain in our sport except to shoot for time, accuracy and procedure.  

Anyway, we should use the term gang where appropriate to follow our historical roots.  I don’t like the PC, Corporate BS term, “team”.  It stinks, and smacks of its rancid origins of phony, feel-good, dirty politics.

Remember that recent topic regarding the nonsense, Big-Lie PC global warming, carbon transfer BS?  Well, embracing “team,” rather than using an appropriate “gang,” where it is due is caving in to that same stinking philosophy, which most of us despise the most!!   

Cat Brules

Really? I don't think this has anything to do with "politically correct"! I've been doing this for 20+ years and ever since I remember we had "Team Shoots" at side matches!  

It is definitely not PC to have members of your "team" count (cheat) for you. Team shooting is not a positive thing in some contexts. It is a polite way to say cheating.

A Team Shoot is a fun and positive thing.

I am a member of the Dammit Gang and the Dooley Gang. It would just sound odd to say the Dammit or Dooley Team. Some words just go together.

Aside:

I've never been a top shooter. At one team shoot, I was teamed with one and his wife, who  was another top shooter. She told all of us on the team to just blast away as fast as we could and her husband would clean up our misses. I followed her advice and got every one of the targets. I amazed myself. I thought her advice was gamey in the negative sense of the word. Thus, gamer can be a positive or negative term. It is all about context.

Archived