SASS Wire Forum

Darn Michigan weather

Attica Jack  #23953

I was really looking forward to the annual Thanksgiving and Turkey dinner shoot at Detroit Sportsmans Congress.   But Michigan weather had other ideas, 10 inches of snow and very cold temperatures.  Lots of shooters, including me were disappointed, but it was a good call to cancel.  Lots of work and money goes into preparing the Turkey dinner meal, with the cooks volunteering their time and efforts to provide a great meal.   I think I would need a 4X4  with chains to get down the road to the cowboy town and they would need a large team of cowboys armed with snow blowers to clean out shooting lanes in the town.   See everyone next year.     Thanks to all that put on great matches and the DSC.

I miss the New Year’s Eve shoot that they used to have.  15 degrees, snow, campfire they were always very fun.   But for the most part the road in is probably the biggest cause for concern.  

Kinda funny all summer long people at the Gas station in little cars  say, 

I Bet that thing uses a lot of gas ?

I say yep 40.00 a day .

But it's a lot cheaper then the Tow truck your going to need three or Four times this Winter lol 

Michigan born and raised. 

I can drive my 4x4 anywhere anytime of the year.

Just Sayin 

Rooster 

Got to the cabin south of Big Rapids in a snowstorm pretty well last year. Dug out the truck four times in the driveway to get in. Worth every scoop of snow!

IMG_20190216_100816886.jpg

Attica..Ya'll got more snow down there then we do up here in Hillman....by the way everyone can come to Hillman on Dec. 14th. We're going to CAS indoors...

Happy Holidays to you and yours

Faygo and Eleanor

34 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Got to the cabin south of Big Rapids in a snowstorm pretty well last year. Dug out the truck four times in the driveway to get in. Worth every scoop of snow!

IMG_20190216_100816886.jpg

Looks Beautiful Michigan Slim .

You are in Indiana .

So you get it just like we do I belive .

Hope to see you down the trail .

Rooster 

4 hours ago, Faygo Kid, SASS # 26408 said:

Attica..Ya'll got more snow down there then we do up here in Hillman....by the way everyone can come to Hillman on Dec. 14th. We're going to CAS indoors...

Happy Holidays to you and yours

Faygo and Eleanor

How many stages are you able to fit in?  Do you shoot all winter?

I spent the winter of ‘68-‘69 in Cheboygan, MI, and it’s the reason I live in SE Missouri today.

I made sure I didn’t leave anything behind when I left.

My sympathies.

Attica, thanks for the kind words. We received about 10 inches of snow on the range. We were able to clear the parking lot but the range area to move gun carts and 200 feet of decking, and removing frozen snow to find our targets was just too much work to accomplish. We did have a full turkey and ham Thanksgiving dinner in the works, so I join your disappointment as well.

Sinola Kid, we are planning to shoot on December 15th (not quite New Years Eve) so come on out and have some fun! Weather permitting.

Faygo, indoors? I thought you would be heading south already. Michigan north country can get pretty cold.

Again THANKS to all who shoot at Rocky River DSC Utica. Sorry about cancelling on our annual Thanksgiving shoot, but I know you understand. Hopefully we can have on final shoot for the season on December 15th.

See you on the range.

J.J. Longley

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

How many stages are you able to fit in?  Do you shoot all winter?

We shoot paper targets. We have 4 targets and are going to switch up the shooting order for the different stages. just shoot pistols and rifle..This is the first time so we'll see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, J. J. Longley, SASS #38655 said:

Attica, thanks for the kind words. We received about 10 inches of snow on the range. We were able to clear the parking lot but the range area to move gun carts and 200 feet of decking, and removing frozen snow to find our targets was just too much work to accomplish. We did have a full turkey and ham Thanksgiving dinner in the works, so I join your disappointment as well.

Sinola Kid, we are planning to shoot on December 15th (not quite New Years Eve) so come on out and have some fun! Weather permitting.

Faygo, indoors? I thought you would be heading south already. Michigan north country can get pretty cold.

Again THANKS to all who shoot at Rocky River DSC Utica. Sorry about cancelling on our annual Thanksgiving shoot, but I know you understand. Hopefully we can have on final shoot for the season on December 15th.

See you on the range.

J.J. Longley

J.J. going south on the 30th of Dec....got to see all them Doc before we leave...Happy Holidays...Faygo

My alias comes from growing up in Battle Creek, Michigan.

When I had the opportunity...

I dropped my ice scraper in the trash at Detroit Metro airport and said, "Never again".

No matter how hot it may get in the desert Southwest; I never have to shovel it.

Archived