SASS Wire Forum

Help need from Long Range Shooters

Dungannon Gunner

On 11/16/2019 at 3:50 PM, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

25-20 ?

21 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

25-20 is a legal Main Match Rifle cartridge ......

So is not a legal Longrange Rifle Cartridge ....Except for Pistol Caliber Longrange Events .....

And it is really hard to see or hear impacts on steel much past 50 yards ....

Jabez Cowboy

Guys I have looked over almost all that I have and also looked the 25.20 up on the Colt forum and according to others this was never a part of pre 1900. Can you help me with a reference point! Good for Rifle but not pistol cal THANKS!

10 hours ago, Lucky R. K. said:

What about the 25-21 Stevens? You might need to look a bit for this one. Mine is good, just barely, for 200 yards.

Lucky

WOW Mr Lucky I did not expect to see that little sweetie come up on the screen! The short answer is I do NOT know. According to what I have so far; it would NOT be allowed for pistol caliber nor Buffalo. However it seems to qualify for Single shot rifle. It was designed in 1897 and used in a single shot rifle. The Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 did not come along until 1903. Please let me know if you can find a reference to the contrary.

THANKS!!!

I added 38-50 to Single Shot (SS) and Buffalo( )B, 40-50 to SS and B, 44 Evans New and Old to Lever Rifle( L)R, 40-82 to SS and LR, 40-70 WCF and 40-70 Sharps to SS and B, 38-70 to LR...........  THANK YOU CIMARRON RED!

Golly, gee. What happened to my Sharps '50-140 or .50 3-1/4" rifle? I use it for BPCR and so do one or two other black powder afficianados. It was late for buffalo harvesting but was around. I load it with a ton o fHoly Black and use a 650 grain postell bullet. It works for me. Just aim for Mars and it will drop down onto the target.

It works for mile matches as well as regular 500 yard shoots. Mine is fancy, modern C. Sharps product with both Kelly and MVA extra long range sights. I deal with Buffalo Arms.

6 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Golly, gee. What happened to my Sharps '50-140 or .50 3-1/4" rifle? I use it for BPCR and so do one or two other black powder afficianados. It was late for buffalo harvesting but was around. I load it with a ton o fHoly Black and use a 650 grain postell bullet. It works for me. Just aim for Mars and it will drop down onto the target.

It works for mile matches as well as regular 500 yard shoots. Mine is fancy, modern C. Sharps product with both Kelly and MVA extra long range sights. I deal with Buffalo Arms.

WOW! SASS # 686. Thank you for helping keep this sport alive so those that came along late (me for one) are able to participate and have so much fun!

I added the 50-140 (50 3 1/4) for Single Shot and Buffalo. The are the same, correct?

Thanks Mud Marine! 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, Dungannon Gunner said:

WOW Mr Lucky I did not expect to see that little sweetie come up on the screen! The short answer is I do NOT know. According to what I have so far; it would NOT be allowed for pistol caliber nor Buffalo. However it seems to qualify for Single shot rifle. It was designed in 1897 and used in a single shot rifle. The Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 did not come along until 1903. Please let me know if you can find a reference to the contrary.

THANKS!!!

I really do not know the history of the Model 44 and 44-1/2. I do know mine is a Model 44 with Schutzen style wood and hooked butt plate. The barrel also has an "X" on the top flat. Some will know what means. The 25-21 is an obsolete cartridge but Bertram made the brass for awhile. They were very thin walled and easy to mess up when reloading. I found about 75 pieces of original UMC brass on ebay a few years ago and am now able to shoot the rifle occasionally.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, Dungannon Gunner said:

Guys I have looked over almost all that I have and also looked the 25.20 up on the Colt forum and according to others this was never a part of pre 1900. Can you help me with a reference point! Good for Rifle but not pistol cal THANKS!

All of the Model 1885 Single Shot Rifles that were marked "25 W.C.F." were chambered for the 25-20 Single Shot (S.S.) cartridge. When Winchester introduced the 25-20 W.C.F. (repeater) cartridge, it was marked "25-20 W.C.F.", and the 25-20 Single Shot was marked "25-20 S.S.". The "25 W.C.F." marking was discontinued in late 1895.

Although I do not compete in it, Schuetzen match shooters use Stevens.

It's  awesome that we have competitions for almost all of our firearms! 

For those not familiar with the ages and calibers for the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens_Arms

according to others this was never a part of pre 1900.

Nope, pre 1898 ... Stevens adopted the .25-20 single shot, developed by J. Franis Rabbeth in 1882. The unpopularity of the bottlenecked case led Stevens to develop the .25-21 in 1897.

I have both Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 rifles.  Shoot the 25-20 WCF in a Remington #2 Rolling Block, custom made H&R with a relined barrel for 25-20 WCF and the 25-21 in an Unertl scoped CPA Stevens 44 1/2 with a Badger barrel for all Schuetzen Matches.  Sweet Calibers :)

The Stevens 44 1/2 has a stronger action than the 44.  Developed in 1903 and discontinued under the new ownership by New England Westinghouse that produced over 770,000 Mosin-Nagant rifles under contract with the Russian government between 1916-1917

According to 44 1/2's owned by ASSRA members, there were a few made by the serial numbers pre 1903, around 1901 - 1902

Archived