SASS Wire Forum

Jerry Clower

Sedalia Dave

Twice in that first one he told the audience that he loved them because they weren't --- I don't know. Started with a TE sound. First time I thought he said texicans, but that ain't what it sounded like the second time. Said they weren't - whatever - that they work for a living.

What did he say?

Always did like Brother Jerry!

Matter of fact I quoted him.

In the emergency room.

Whilst I was having a kidney stone.

Jerry tells of coon huntin' and one of the fellas climbs a tree after the coon only it ain't a coon, it's a wild cat, and the fight was on (likely you've heard his version so I won't butcher it with my poor recollection) -- anyway an ER nurse came over from t'other side of the Emergency Room -- a big enough place nurses are assigned to zones, I"m not used to such prosperity, back in Appalachian Ohio an ER is considerably smaller -- anyway she said "I recognize the wriggle.  Kidney stone?"

"Yes ma'am," says I, and she allows quietly as she's had both kidney stones and babies, and the kidney stones were worse.

Didn't help me a bit to her her say that.

She asked if she could get me anything and I r'ared up on my elbows and gasped "Yes!" and I reckon she figured I was going to ask for a needle full of Old Knockemstiff, but she favored me with a sympathetic look, and as the sweat beads commenced to pop out on my forehead I said "I have never asked a fellow nurse for a favor but I will ask one now!"

She nodded, listening closely.

"I want you to send down to Central Supply and have them send up the biggest rubber maul they've got down there!"

"Whyyy?" she asked, and she was turning a little red, like she was anticipating what I was about to say, and trying not to laugh.

I come up on both elbows, then stabbed myself in the forehead with my off thumb and said "I want you to take that big rubber mallet in both hands and give me a Mickey Mantle over the back field fence right here, just as hard as you can swing that thing!"

By now she's turning the color of a rotten strawberry and she manages to gasp out between ill-hidden chortles, "I can't do that!"

"IT'S LIKE RASSIN' A WILD CAT UP IN A TREE!" I quoted Brother Jerry.  "SHOOT UP HERE AMONGST US, ONE OF US GOTS TO HAVE SOME RELIEF!"

8 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

"SHOOT UP HERE AMONGST US, ONE OF US GOTS TO HAVE SOME RELIEF!"

I was introduced to Jerry Clower as a child by my dad and uncles. A Coon Huntin' Story is my absolute favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AX9QoFhEhI&t=17s

32 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Had never seen him nor heard of him before

That is pert near unbelievable.

That's like saying you never heard of John Wayne, or The Lone Ranger. How is that possible?

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's like saying you never heard of John Wayne, or The Lone Ranger. How is that possible?

I guess I had a disadvantaged youth......do I qualify for reparations or a Federal grant of some kind????

LL

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I believe him, he's from up North; I work with some folks from NY and NJ that are in their 50's/60's that have no idea who Jerry Clower is. They don't understand him very well either.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I guess he was like Barbara Mandrell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHjl3xMB3o

What to not know about the the Ledbetters - Arvell, Odell, and Lawd we cain't forget Neugene. :(

Now, Barbara Mendrell and her sisters I have heard of.

Ledbetters?  Not so much.

LL

Grew up in Missouri listening to Jerry Clower late at night during the summer. Once the sun was down, I could get WWL out of New Orleans on my transistor radio. Jerry was on every night at 11 PM.

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Grew up in Missouri listening to Jerry Clower late at night during the summer. Once the sun was down, I could get WWL out of New Orleans on my transistor radio. Jerry was on every night at 11 PM.

Well, that answers the question.  While you were listening to him, I had Cousin Brucie on WABC in NY, bounced off the upper atmosphere so I could receive it outside of Philly, listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys.  Whole different world.

LL

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

I guess he was like Barbara Mandrell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHjl3xMB3o

What to not know about the the Ledbetters - Arvell, Odell, and Lawd we cain't forget Neugene. :(

Don”t forget Marcel and his talking chainsaw.

Jerry had a plaque on his office wall (yes, he had a day job as a fertilizer salesman); “There’s no limit to what can be accomplished as long as it doesn’t matter who gets the credit.”

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if more of us had that philosophy?!”

28 minutes ago, Yazoo City Gal said:

Jerry Clower sang in my Dad's choir in Yazoo City Mississippi in the 60's.  He held me when I was a baby.

WOW.   Interesting.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"They gave Marcel the beer joint".

(I hope I quoted that correctly)

..........Widder

Yes, I believe you did!

All Marcell wanted was a Nehi belly warsh!!

Marcel at the draft board was hilarious too!!

Never reach for the last piece of chicken barehanded!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8wLI4gHvts

Archived