SASS Wire Forum

Drinking coffee

Alpo

Do you drink:

Coffee?

A coffee?

or

A cup of coffee?

Watching Castle reruns. All them New Yorkers drink "a coffee".

"I need a coffee", "she bought a coffee", "would you like a coffee?"

I drink coffee, and I'll have a cup of coffee. But I've never had "a coffee" in my life. I've had a Coke. I've had a beer. But I've never had a wine, I've never had a milk. Some beverages require a container to be mentioned. Cup of cocoa. Glass of milk.

Kinda I wondered if that was just me, or if the "a coffee" thing was strictly television scriptwriters.

Yeah, but you could’ve had a V8! ;)

Actually, I do believe I have only heard “a coffee” vs just “coffee” in the Northeast. I recall when I was in Boston at breakfast being asked if I wanted “a coffee” and I responded with something like “A coffee is good to start with but I will need more than one.”

I say “coffee” not “a coffee” but I am an atypical New Englander.  I when I visited the Grumpy Lunch Bunch 40 asked why I didn’t sound like a New Englander, I replied, “2 years 11 months 9 days in the Army”.  I think it was also the months I spent studying Chinese.

I always have coffee, most of the time a cup of coffee.

Had a young black girl in the kitchen a few years back. I walked in with my empty cup and she filled it.

Then asked me if I wanted cream or sugar.

I told her "NO, I like my coffee like my women."

She ranted, "Don't you dare say hot and black!"

I grinned and said, "No, ground up and in the freezer."

She told me, "Get out of here!"

I drink two cups of coffee a day but since having moved out of Miami over a year ago I have not had a single CAFECITO.  The real stuff.  The stuff that goes down like ambrosia and makes you smile.....................and keeps you awake for days if needed!  

Only other thing I miss is the cute Cuban waitresses that serve it to you with a lovely, sticky, sweet smile and an endearment that makes you feel you are really the love of their lives!

Supposedly, some of the best coffee in the world (and the most expensive) is kipo luwak from SE Asia. 

It’s made from coffee beans that have ‘processed’ through a weasel’s digestive system. 

Yeah. 

I understand being desperate for coffee, but just WHO looked at coffee beans in weasel poop and said, “Y’know, we can probably still use those.”

1 hour ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

I always have coffee, most of the time a cup of coffee.

Had a young black girl in the kitchen a few years back. I walked in with my empty cup and she filled it.

Then asked me if I wanted cream or sugar.

I told her "NO, I like my coffee like my women."

She ranted, "Don't you dare say hot and black!"

I grinned and said, "No, ground up and in the freezer."

She told me, "Get out of here!"

Must be a regional thing. I don't recall ever being asked if I wanted cream and sugar in my coffee. If it's at a restaurant, they just bring the little packets of creamer (sugar is already on the table).

If it's at someone's house they normally ask, "What do you take in your coffee?", To which I reply, "Coffee".

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Must be a regional thing. I don't recall ever being asked if I wanted cream and sugar in my coffee. If it's at a restaurant, they just bring the little packets of creamer (sugar is already on the table).

If it's at someone's house they normally ask, "What do you take in your coffee?", To which I reply, "Coffee".

I think that observation is mostly correct as it relates to:

—-  “a coffee”  vs.  “a cup of coffee”.

The little oddities of speech, I mean.

I’ve found also, as was earlier stated, that “a coffee” is more a Northeastern term and “a cup of coffee” or just “coffee” pretty much is the the term used in the rest is the county.

AND.....(my experience, anyway) it’s akin to the general reference terms for soft drinks, which is used throughout a greater areas of the US.

“Pop” in most places in the Greater Northeastern US.

”Soda” in most other areas of the US

These are all American English.  However I do think the term “Pop” originated in a rather obscure foreign language book, entitled (translated) To Serve Man.

Cat Brules

No!  it’s kwaah’fee

”Pop is actually, “Paahp”

Like that old tv show, “This Old House”.   Norm Abram, the New England carpenter referred to blueprint “drawings” as “draw-rings”. B)

Cat Brules

I remember Norm, and his drawrings.

Used to work with a feller that always had "an idear".

And I listened to myself one day, and spent the next couple of years teaching myself to not say the R in Warshington.

I used to tell people I didnt know how I got through the Army without coffee or cigarettes and then I realized there was some alcohol involved.

Imis

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Supposedly, some of the best coffee in the world (and the most expensive) is kipo luwak from SE Asia. 

It’s made from coffee beans that have ‘processed’ through a weasel’s digestive system. 

Yeah. 

I understand being desperate for coffee, but just WHO looked at coffee beans in weasel poop and said, “Y’know, we can probably still use those.”

also called civet coffee

Think of the weasel..... force fed the coffee beans, choking them down, then tryin’ to pass the darn things!!  :blink:  

8 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I think that observation is mostly correct as it relates to:

—-  “a coffee”  vs.  “a cup of coffee”.

The little oddities of speech, I mean.

I’ve found also, as was earlier stated, that “a coffee” is more a Northeastern term and “a cup of coffee” or just “coffee” pretty much is the the term used in the rest is the county.

AND.....(my experience, anyway) it’s akin to the general reference terms for soft drinks, which is used throughout a greater areas of the US.

“Pop” in most places in the Greater Northeastern US.

”Soda” in most other areas of the US

These are all American English.  However I do think the term “Pop” originated in a rather obscure foreign language book, entitled (translated) To Serve Man.

Cat Brules

I don't drink coffee; can't help you there. 

And nobody in New England says "pop"; up here, it's either "tonic" or "soda".

LL

look ; like all the questions about is this legal or is this allowed.  Depends on where you are and what is usual and common.  In central Texas where the temperature is at 39 and the humidity is 90 % 13 cups of coffee are OK 33 cups are a bit excessive.  Where the norm is 20 below and 19 inches of snow 3 cups is normal

On 11/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I used to tell people I didnt know how I got through the Army without coffee or cigarettes and then I realized there was some alcohol involved.

Imis

Some?  C'mon, Bubba. :P

On 11/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Yeah. 

I think it started on a dare or some coffee fiend was jonesing really bad and noticed the beans in a pile of poo.

It's sort of like how folks started eating snails.  Was it a dare between two cavemen that started it all?

"So Ugg eats everything?  Bet Ugg no eat snail!"

On 11/14/2019 at 9:45 AM, Chuck Steak said:

"SOME"  coffee

I haven't seen you in a while - lets grab some coffee.

Lets negotiate a sale price over some coffee.

...that was one hell of a saloon brawl last night - I need some coffee

Thanks Chuck and here I thought I was the only one......

Yea I'll have some coffee!

Hey I think I'll get some coffee!

I just woke up I need some coffee!!

I'm tired I think I'll have some coffee to wake me up.

Do you want some coffee?

On 11/14/2019 at 3:10 PM, JD Lud said:

I’m in Kauai at the moment...here is some of their company coffee....

9F9FAB2A-A5B5-4903-941A-6D2817A60DF0.jpeg

That’s a good place to be right now. I was in Maui this time last year. :wub:

On 11/14/2019 at 8:20 AM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

CASTLE? Oh no. Terrible show

Har. Loved it. Mindless entertainment. 

DB4D9D47-D068-4642-9BA2-F02BEDC8A781.jpeg

Archived