SASS Wire Forum

C&R License Questions

Cholla

If I get a C&R License do I have to pay the fee every year to maintain it or is the $30 a one-time deal?

If I have a C&R License can sellers that are not an FFL holder send me a firearm that is more than 50 years old directly to me and not through an FFL?

If I have a C&R License I assume an FFL holder can send a firearm that is 50 years old or deemed a collector's item directly to me. True?

I assume as a C&R holder I still need to use an FFL to receive newly made copies of older guns; examples Taylors & Co SAAs and the like.

Although legal, holders of other types of FFL's (as well as individuals for that matter) very often will not send a C&R eligible firearm to a Type 3 FFL holder. Partly because it requires a phone call to verify the C&R license validity, instead of running it online through EZ Check, and partly because "it's not on the list". The vast majority of C&R firearms qualify simply because they are 50+ years old and ATF doesn't list them, because the roster would be hundreds of pages long. The seller doesn't want to research the serial number and confirm it was manufactured over 50 years ago, nor do they want to assume the liability.

Archived