SASS Wire Forum

What Shotgun in a .22 match

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

In a theoretical match were everybody has the option to use a .22 rifle and pistols regardless of age, what do you do about the shotgun?   Do you limit it to .410's, and maybe 20's, or just let folks use a 12 gauge cuz while many folks may have the small caliber pistols and rifle, they may not have the smaller shotgun.

Of, if you have actually been to such a match, I've heard of them happening here, how was it done?

To me, a .22 caliber match or even one .22 caliber stage (that would be fun) SHOULD 

...... unless the club is furnishing the shotgun and shells......

allow the shooter to furnish his own shotgun (any gauge) and shells.

Personally, I think the club SHOULD furnish the shotguns (shooter’s choice: SxS & pump) and shells to level the field.  Every one should ante-up for the shells, especially if the SG is a 410 gauge.

Cat Brules

Our club has an annual “Iron Cowboy” match. Shoot a different category every stage. Gunfighter, dualist, outlaw, 2 handed, buckaroo, and wild bunch. Club officers supply the 22s and WB guns for those that don’t have them. 
lots of fun!  I bought a 410 double just for this match! 
It is optional, shooter can shoot their regular category if they prefer. 
I always threaten to shoot a regular monthly match buckaroo, just because it’s fun to shoot 22s. 

In our 22 matches we use 22 rifle,  22 pistol and no shotgun.   For the 22 rifle we allow bolt action, lever action and pump action.   For the pistol you can use a double action revolver.   We extended the round count to 12 or 15 rounds in the rifle.   Bullett 19707

Around here we have been shooting Mild Bunch for about 8 or 9 years. .22 pistols and rifle, (including semi automatics) run what ya brung (SASS legal any category) for a shotgun. Seems to work for us.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

We're proposing a 22 side match at our annual Heartland Territorial in July 2020.

Called Blackjack 21.:D

Am using 22 revolver, 22 1911 and 22 rifle, no shotgun.

7 shots on each target, 2 pistol targets, one rifle target.

Shoot between 21 & 22 seconds, in the draw for a prize!:o

This sounds like great fun.

I acquired a pair of Single-Six Bisley in 22LR for us to use as SASS trainers, and future use by Buckaroos.
Stoeger makes a Youth 410 SxS in double trigger.

I understand that 410 is the toughest shotshell to reload... probably best to just buy the shells.

did not know there were so many opportunities to shoot the 22s for us older folks - i really like this as i collect them and have often thought that might be fun for other than the youth , 

i would pair a 410 to the 22s but thats cause i have one for the grandkids , 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

did not know there were so many opportunities to shoot the 22s for us older folks - i really like this as i collect them and have often thought that might be fun for other than the youth , 

i would pair a 410 to the 22s but thats cause i have one for the grandkids , 

I'm sure the purists would have a problem with it, but luckily we don't have them around here. It has some advantages. You don't have to pick up brass on a hot summers day, and it gives some folks the opportunity to come to a shoot and give it a go. I haven't seen any shooter get an advantage by using .22's, in fact more of the opposite. One of the other clubs in our area have an open shoot each year allowing any rifle, pistol, or shotgun that someone may have to come and shoot trying to generate some interest in the sport as long as it is a pistol caliber with lead bullets, and the SASS power factor rules are met. There has to be some thinking outside the box to get the younger folks interested or we're just going to fade away like the old Saturday matinee B western movies.

Here in CA, there is both the Cost and Delay factors working.

CA imposes a 30-day waiting period between hand guns, 10 days for rifles.
I have accumulated 170 waiting days in 2019... more than half a year waiting for delivery of our guns.

Next is the cost of the range, and the additional cost of the cowboy sub-range, then match fees.
Add in the expense of a 45 minute drive, each way.

Throw in the cost of factory ammunition in copious quantities.
Or the substantial investment, learning curve and dedicated bench space for reloading.
Add in the not-trivial expense of leather, clothing and a gun cart.

Last, throw in the cost of the guns themselves plus FFL fees, background checks and shipping.

I can fully understand why young people are not attracted to our sport:  they cannot afford it.
Those growing up in a SASS household have a most decided advantage over noobs coming in off the street.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:08 AM, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

The two local clubs I shoot at both allow a .22 Rim Fire class at every monthly shoot, and any SASS legal shotgun and gauge is fine.

We do the same at monthlies.  

On 11/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

The two local clubs I shoot at both allow a .22 Rim Fire class at every monthly shoot, and any SASS legal shotgun and gauge is fine.

We do the same at monthlies

Sounds like great fun for those that don't reload or the 'better half' finally found out what you spending reloading Cowboy ammo. 

I would attend more Wild Bunch matches if we had Mild Bunch:P matches at our club

Our club, Perry County Regulators, had its first ever all .22 match in late October.  You could shoot cowboy single action or semi auto.  That was the only 2 classes.  We did not break it down by any other category.  We let them shoot any shot gun (no semi auto) in any caliber.  We felt it was a huge success.  We had 6 new shooters that all say they will be back in the spring.  Only time will tell.  but for us regular cowboy shooters, it was also a blast.  We are now planning on having 2 a year.  One in the spring and another in the fall.  

Archived