SASS Wire Forum

IMR Red for favorite pistol load for 38 special

Caboose

Anyone using IMR Red for their favorite pistol loads in the 105 to 125 grain range for .38 special that can give grains of powder, bullet weight and velocity? Thanks..

Just now, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The Hodgdon Data Center shows a recipe for a 125 grain lead bullet:  http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Yes, I know. I asked for personal experience, not hodgdon load charts.

My practical experience with IMR Red so far is in making conventional 12 gauge shot shells, 1 ounce shot at 1200 FPS.   A task that it performs really well, burns cleanly, provides very consistent loads and breaks birds when I do my part.

It's made to be very close to the performance of Red Dot at close to the same powder weight.   I've used Red Dot in .38 spl loads (125 grain bullet at 3.5 grains of RD, to make about 700 FPS from pistols) and .45 Colt 200 grain loads.    I'd believe I'd try Red if I still had to load .38 spl.  

Red won't be much more than or much less than Red Dot, which is itself a great powder for all around cowboy loading.

Good luck, GJ

As Garrison Joe said, "made to be very close to the performance of Red Dot". I interchange freely between Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot, and IMR Red and do not change bushings or powder drop measures. IMR Red is a little denser than Red Dot...for shotgun MEC Bushing #25 gives me about 13.4 gr Red Dot and 14.4 gr. IMR Red with no noticeable difference in recoil. In pistols and rifle I use Clays load data for all 4 powders...this is low end loads in SASS matches...for all calibers.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/7/19/review-imr-red-powder/

RRR

I shoot Red Dot in my all my cowboy guns. Tried a pound of IMR Red. Found that reducing my Red Dot loads 0.2 grains in 38 Spl  gave comparable performance. 3.4 grains Red Dot or 3.2 grains of IMR Red under a 125 grainer..

I bought a 1 lb can of IMR Red for the reasons mentioned above.
Got sidetracked into ultra-light recoil loads and put IMR Red on the back burner for "later."
I never found a published load for 105gr in 38, so will have to develop one when time/interest permits.
Meanwhile... keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions.

I load 700x in .38spl, which is a tad slower than Red Dot. I load 2.9g with 105 or 125 bullets. I think you could run similar loads with Red Dot or IMR Red. You probably should chrono your loads to check power factor.  I think I'd start at 3.0g and maybe try 2.8g if the 3g chrono'd high enough. I like Red Dot in .45Colt, C45S, and .44spl. No reason it wouldn't work great in .38spl.  

Archived