SASS Wire Forum

Those that have been around...and will be forgotten.

Phantom, SASS #54973

Never had the pleasure of meeting China Camp. But started hearing about him when I started.

Have never heard anything but great things about him.

Have meet  most of the current WB members. Some it was a real pleasure. Others not so much.

As for our sports shooting greats. Have been lucky to meet or shoot with many of them. Even able to call

some friends.

China Camp, Durango Kid, Bounty Hunter, I listened to all of them when they gave advice. Locally we were blessed to shoot with Curly Bigelow, Pegleg Pete, Sheriff Packwolf, all great competitors. There are way too many to mention them all.

In my tag line I have the distinction of displaying my membership # in the "Great Unknown Shooters of America"  proudly having # 93.  

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

In my tag line I have the distinction of displaying my membership # in the "Great Unknown Shooters of America"  proudly having # 93.  

Now, that's just BS Griff. I personally know 23 folks that have met you, know a little about ya and over half of um think you an OK pardner !

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

I am curious how many 1- and 2-digit member numbers are still actively shooting.

Somehow I'm just not grasping the intent of this thread.  Being a new shooter from the eastern section of the country, I never had the opportunity due to time and distance to meet any of the original members and founders of our game.  Are we newbies being lumped into one big basket of deplorables since we never had the opportunity to meet China Camp, Tex, et al?  Isn't it only natural for a new shooter to ask "China who?".  Doesn't this present an opportunity to educate the new shooter, rather than disparage them for their lack of knowledge or familiarity with the founders?  Help me out, here.

Why, there's people that don't know who I am! :rolleyes:

Having been involved in SASS for several years, and several years in range affairs, like most of us,

I have a list of folks in my head that is into hundreds of names. So many passed, got too many health

problems, quit, moved away, etc. The point to me is that all of us in CAS are a part of a breed that will

not be seen again. I have met some of the originals, I even met Phantom, once. I'm positive he wouldn't

remember. (In a parking lot in Texas, some years back.)

Some, not all, of the finest friends I have ever had in this life have been in Cowboy Action. They are real,

they last, and you can ride the trail with almost all.

A price can not be put on the enrichment this game has meant to my life.

Whether well known or not, with thanks given to all that have helped our path, how wonderful it is to

have known these people! New shooters, as well!

Harley.

10 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Now, that's just BS Griff. I personally know 23 folks that have met you, know a little about ya and over half of um think you an OK pardner !

That's proof they don't know me!

10 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I know you (having never you met makes that even more memorable).

Likewise Allie, and try to act more refined than I am, just so YOU won't think ill of me.

10 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I am curious how many 1- and 2-digit member numbers are still actively shooting.

Me too.  Along with 3 & 4 digit members...

Actually if you want to hear something that will knock your socks off.... Griff and Griff’s girl was who brought sass to the great state of Texas in I think 1990 or 91 ! The first sass affiliate club was started by them along with 3 or 4 others and that’s how Lonestar frontier shooting club started. Dusty Boddams

I remember when I got my sass badge,I was so proud of it! The next match I went to I had it penned on and Griff saw it. Never will forget he said to me” MY GOD DUSTY THERES GONNA BE 2000 PEOPLE IN SASS BEFORE LONG!” I guess the point is we are all new at sometime .......well, except Griff 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Shot with 3 of them last month. Tex, Cat Ballou, and Hipshot. They all are still active and definitely competitive!

I have been in the game a few years now. Where I am located I haven't had a chance to meet many of the older members...I have heard of some...others I have not. I am hoping to meet some more at Winter Range this year. I have been fortunate enough to meet a few of the bigger names in SASS. And I have learned some things from them. I will never be a world class shooter. But...every day shooting is a good day...I don't care what the weather is...for the most part.I thank the people that have gone before and started and kept this game going. I just hope we can keep the game going and growing. For the most part...some of the best people I have met are cowboy shooters. 

Old Deadeye, started cowboy shooting in Arizona, one of the founders of los vaquero and border town. Lost both legs, an eye, and part of his hand in the Vietnam war. His black powder rounds would set off car alarms in the parking lot. Ft. Sinclair at winter range is named after him.

Rafe

The reality is that unless the SASS founders have an online presence, it's impossible for people to know who they are unless they happen to meet them at a major event. 

Archived