SASS Wire Forum

The Virginian's gun belt

WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L

I was watching a Virginian episode where he and David Hartman were trying to buy mustangs and a older washed up black bronco buster was trying to keep his son out of the business, and of course the bad guys were stealing the horses.   James Dury's  gun belt was hanging over the bed on a peg where he was sleeping and the belt was curved not straight.   Any one know if these belts were common outside of that TV show and who was the maker...

23 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

I was watching a Virginian episode where he and David Hartman were trying to buy mustangs and a older washed up black bronco buster was trying to keep his son out of the business, and of course the bad guys were stealing the horses.   James Dury's  gun belt was hanging over the bed on a peg where he was sleeping and the belt was curved not straight.   Any one know if these belts were common outside of that TV show and who was the maker...

Here's a related site: http://www.westernleatherholster.com/western-movie-holsters/

The James Drury holster is about two thirds of the way down the page.  Here's what they said about it.  Our adaptation of the toe forward, lined, rough out leather rig worn for so many years on TV. Few fans know that his Colt SAA had the grip frame replaced with a (D) guard Dragoon brass frame giving him  a better hand hold. Look closely at one of the TV series segments and you will see this unique addition. We were fortunate to meet James Drury at the Memphis Western Film Festival and he looks GREAT. Our cowboy hero of the evening TV series still has the piercing eyes and solid hand shake. Rough out, lined toe forward holster with six bullet loops on the buckle end, and lined tapered gun belt with “Gunfighter” stitch and heel bar buckle ~ $499.95

image.png.3ffa3d3d4734454c0b5ea88f01e05fe0.pngimage.png.3dd2c333d71f3e8bad11257bb5576658.png 

Virginian v2_large Drury holster.jpg

17 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Most of the Curved belts I have seen have been made for Women ...

Jabez Cowboy

I thought so too until I bought one from Mernickle at Roop County days at Fernley NV,  it stayed in place and didn't slip towards my knees like a regular gun belt...

I said Most ,,,,, I am aware that Mernickle is making Curved Belts for Men ...

But this is a recent development .....

Jabez Cowboy

There are three or four “Hollywood” Western “leathermakers” out there who immediately come to mind and could be the maker of Drury’s gunbelt rig:

Alfonso’s of Hollywood

Arjo Ojala (a Western movie set guy...worked on movies)

—. If Arvo worked on a movie or tv Western, it’s possible he did some leather work. 

Bianchi’s Frontier Gunleather. 

Carrico’s Leatherworks, LLC. He does movie leather and a lot of film tech work.

Will Ghormley.     http://www.willghormley-maker.com

——  I’ve traded with Will Ghormley in the past. He does movie leather, too.

Alfonso’s of Hollywood gunleather is what I think of when I think of Western movies.  I think all those movie leather makers also made saddles, saddlebags, chaps, etc.  I’ve bought a couple items from them over the years

Anyway, check with some of these.  You’ll get your answer from one or more of them, if you haven’t found it yet,

Cat Brules

16 hours ago, Blackhawk Kid said:

I'm pretty sure Andy Anderson did the gunbelt and holsters for James Dury and also made up the custom grip frame for his colts. He did Trampus rig also.

Yes.  I just received a response from James Drury's assistant, who indicated that the Virginian's rig was made by Andy Anderson.

TRIVIA The Virginian belonged to my Lake Geneva Yacht Club!!!

Archived