SASS Wire Forum

Smoking turkey in grill

Trigger Mike

Lowes sells charcoal grills and advertised the smoker attachment.   I wondered about smoking a turkey and was looking at recipes but all of them are talking about electric smokers and one even said it would take too long to smoke on a normal grill.  My plan was to mainly use quality oak and grilling woods and not charcoal except to get the fire started. 

This is a regular cast iron grate grill with mini grill you attache to build a fire for smoking

:FlagAm:Everyone has their own special way of smoking meat.  I have several smokers, a huge LA pellet, a vertical propane and others.  When it comes to doing the turkey, here is my way, using a Weber Grill.  I brine the bird for two days using 1/2 gal buttermilk, 1/2 gal water with 1 cup KOSHER salt dissolved into the water, some garlic and Italian seasoning.  Brining takes place in an extra refrigerator but a large ice chest with ice will do.  Prep the bird by rinsing off.  I place seasoned butter under the skin, rub down the bird with olive oil and season more as desired.  I do use charcoal with chunks of apple and cherry placed on top of ready briquets using the two side openings on actual grill.   Place bird in pan on grill and fill cavity with apple cider, unfiltered if possible.  Low and slow replacing charcoal and smoking wood as needed.  Everytime wood or briquets are added, baste the bird with drippings, adding cider as needed.  Last two-three hours,  just charcoal.  If using a meat thermometer, final bird temp should be 20-25 degrees less than temp for turkey on thermometer.  Looking at a solid 8 hours at around 225F for a 18-21lb bird.

Gravy is incredible.

I apologise if this was too much info.

ChasB)  

I've found after many years of smoking meats at home that charcoal is an important part of keeping an even temperature. Oak is good (I think best) for smoke, but trying to keep an even temp with pure oak is next to impossible in a small home setup. Charcoal for heat and oak for smoke, the perfect combination.

Archived