SASS Wire Forum

Owner Cards

Turkey Flats Jack

Does anyone ever actually fill out the owner cards and send them in on new guns or even fill out the online cards for used guns? I never have. I write it off as being lazy in the moment and just want to go play with my new toys. But having lost my entire gun collection twice (house fire and theft) in the past i've wondered if it would have helped in recovery. Then that little tingle in the back of my head screams "dont do it! you'll just be on another list of gun nuts" What's y'alls thoughts on them? 

5 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

dont do it! you'll just be on another list of gun nuts" What's y'alls thoughts on them? 

You nailed it.  That's my thoughts exactly. 

Any time we list our names unnecessarily in connection to a gun, we should expect to see it used against us at some future time, either by anti-gun elements, by a misguided government, or by both in collusion. 

In this age of insecure data keeping and electronic search capability,  nobody should ever have confidence that adverse access to our information is preventable.  And we know that some folks out there will misuse the data any time they can get it, legally or otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

A list of my guns, with serial #'s, lives in a place that is very safe.

I have done the same. However to get the upgraded coverage for them on my homeowners insurance I have to provide my agent with a list also. The list has to have manufacturer, model, caliber, serial number, and purchase date. Any that hasnt been added to the list at the time of an incident is only covered in the blanket policy which only covers $1500 of firearms.  That's total not per gun. Found that out the hard way when my house burned down. 

Or use USAA for homeowners insurance (if you're eligible).  They don't require a separate policy unless you have a single piece worth more than $10k.  Far cry from the people I had immediately before them.  I asked the agent about gun coverage and was told there was $0 and the company refused to sell a rider for weapons or firearms.  Dropped them with alacrity. 

Course, that doesn't cover them when you're traveling like the NRA insurance does. 

49 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

use USAA for homeowners insurance

That's exactly who I have. Standard policy only covers up to $1500 towards firearms. Same for jewelery. You have to ask for additional coverage. It's fairly inexpensive. I think an additional 10k on the guns and 10k on jewelery only runs me something like an additional $40ish a year. After looking at my policy just now  I didn't have to provide a list unless a single item was over 5k. Might have changed over the years because I remember making the list and submitting it. My guns are also covered while traveling since I have usaa auto insurance too. 

I update an inventory of make, model, caliber, serial #, brief description, source, price and date onto an old camera drive with photos every year on New Years Day.

FWIW, my college team NCSU has always played their bowl game in Dec.  The day is pretty much open.

Archived