SASS Wire Forum

Illegal Sandwich...?

The guy actually got cuffed and detained for being a dumbaxx and getting belligerent with the officer.

The cop is right there is a PRoK law that makes it illegal to eat inside the pay area of any BART station or on any BART train/bus.  We don't get to see the beginning of the incident but if the dude would have not copped an attitude with the officer he likely would have gotten off with a warning. Instead he becomes confrontational and ends up getting cuffed and detained.

If the guy would have just did what the officer asked him to do even if he thought the officer was wrong he would have made his train. Instead he opted for 15 minutes of look at me I'm a dumb@XX.

There was a lot more video out there that shows the guy cursing at the officer and calling him names. and yet through out it all the officer maintains his professionalism. The guy eating the sandwich not so much. He is now looking for a lawyer so he can play the race card.

Here is a link to a less edited video FOUR times longer that what is circulation social media and MSM this morning. It does contain a lot of bad language but you can see that the guy was belligerent with the officer while the officer maintains his professionalism.

The officer was doing what his superiors told him and yet the news media blames the officer and calls him a racist. :( :angry:

This is very common these days. You watch. The officer will be crucified. The man will sue. Security at transit stations WILL diminish, cops do not like being thrown under a bus, and soon ridership (yeah, it’s a stupid word) will go down.

Once it goes down thousands and thousands of dollars will be spent trying to discover why it went down. Committees will be formed. Anyone in Operations that explains the reason it went down will be disinvited to future meetings and only fluffy people with small brains will be involved.  Eventually over a million dollars will have been spent on planning, ads, promotions and service changes. Promotions will occur and new departments formed and eventually the tax payers will be out millions of dollars over years paying salaries and by the time wasted by people that know what they are doing but are ignored so they no longer go the extra mile to perform their duties. 

How do I know? I just had my 30th anniversary in this vocation. Yay. Three years and three months...tick, tock, tick, tock...

Yep at the “eat in” protest a member of the BART board of directors is participating and is recorded on camera calling the law wrong.

Well DUH!!! It is only illegal because BART created a policy making it illegal. 

SHEESH

I get so tired of this crap.  Legislators pass inane laws.  Officers conscientiously try to enforce them.  Officer gets taken to task for doing his job and the legislators take sides with the violator.  

Retirement can't get here soon enough...

The only part of the video you can see is the officer has a hold of the dude's bag and says he's detaining him. The dude's a real smart A$$, could he have just said okay I'll leave and eat this sandwich somewhere else? What's so hard about that?

Sounds like something for the "Group W" bench. What ya in for-- eating a sandwich in public! Annnd swearing at the cop. Come on over and have a seat.

Another good reason to live in New England, we can actually eat outdoors!! Can ya imagine if that cop showed up at a picnic.:)

Thoughts:

I'm sure you have seen places where littering is rampant. The law appears to be an attempt to prevent that. Multiple trash baskets might help more than a law, which is a waste of police time..

The eater was a hateful big mouth showing off for the camera..

In Chicago a female police officer was almost beaten to death because she was afraid to use her gun to defend herself, afraid that she would be crucified by the press and the city because the guy didn't have a gun and was a minority. Lucky for her backup arrived and bailed her out, saving her life. But imagine being an officer and knowing that the city and your bosses will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat for just doing your job or even defending your life because the optics might look bad. And they wonder why they have problems hiring and retaining good police officers. 

I swear somedays I don't even recognize this country anymore, not the one I grew up in. Feel like a dinosaur - even saying what MLK said that one should be judged by the content of one's character and not the color of one's skin is considered racist and not woke. And I hate that term woke. Let me woke this up side your head. Arrrgh!

Shux... I used to eat on BART all the time!  Rushed outta the house early in the morning, then pop open the briefcase and munch.  'Twas pretty darn common.

Don't recall it having been illegal back then - 70's through 90's.  

By the way ~ that was an incredibly Hellish commute.  Thinking back, I'm amazed that I did it for something like seven years... over five hours a day commuting and only about 32 miles door-to-door.    :unsure:

One of the reasons eating and drinking on public transit is outlawed is vermin. Roaches and rodents. Vermin spread disease. There is also another vermin that is dealt with in transit daily. They walk on two legs and disrupt service and the laws because they are self entitled morons. 

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The guy actually got cuffed and detained for being a dumbaxx and getting belligerent with the officer.

The cop is right there is a PRoK law that makes it illegal to eat inside the pay area of any BART station or on any BART train/bus.  We don't get to see the beginning of the incident but if the dude would have not copped an attitude with the officer he likely would have gotten off with a warning. Instead he becomes confrontational and ends up getting cuffed and detained.

If the guy would have just did what the officer asked him to do even if he thought the officer was wrong he would have made his train. Instead he opted for 15 minutes of look at me I'm a dumb@XX.

There was a lot more video out there that shows the guy cursing at the officer and calling him names. and yet through out it all the officer maintains his professionalism. The guy eating the sandwich not so much. He is now looking for a lawyer so he can play the race card.

I'd still like to know what justification the cop used for initiating this whole joke.

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The only part of the video you can see is the officer has a hold of the dude's bag and says he's detaining him. The dude's a real smart A$$, could he have just said okay I'll leave and eat this sandwich somewhere else? What's so hard about that?

Irelavent.

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Thoughts:

I'm sure you have seen places where littering is rampant. The law appears to be an attempt to prevent that. Multiple trash baskets might help more than a law, which is a waste of police time..

The eater was a hateful big mouth showing off for the camera..

Irelavent.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of the reasons eating and drinking on public transit is outlawed is vermin. Roaches and rodents. Vermin spread disease. There is also another vermin that is dealt with in transit daily. They walk on two legs and disrupt service and the laws because they are self entitled morons. 

Irelavent.

My question in all of this is this.

Is it an actual ordinance or some rule made up by the bureaucrats that run the transit system? 

29 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Is it an actual ordinance or some rule made up by the bureaucrats that run the transit system? 

What's the difference?  All kinds of agencies and bureaus promulgate regulations that have the force of law.

https://abc7news.com/society/protesters-hold-luncheon-inside-bart-after-man-detained-for-eating-on-platform/5686666/

""BART says state law prohibits people from eating or drinking in the paid portions of the station."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/us/bart-eating-platform-apologizes.html

BART’s general manager, Bob Powers, said in a statement that “eating in the paid area is banned and there are multiple signs inside every station saying as much” and that the officer, who is white, asked the rider, who is black, “not to eat while he was on the platform responding to another call.”

“It should have ended there, but it didn’t,” he added, explaining that the man “did not stop eating and the officer moved forward with the process of issuing him a citation.”

Mr. Powers said the man who was eating refused to provide identification and “cursed at and made homophobic slurs at the officer who remained calm through out the entire engagement.”

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Donuts?

Nah. He wouldn’t need to look. We can smell donuts across the street in a driving rain even if they’re wrapped in cellophane. Old cops are like drug sniffing dogs where donuts are concerned. We can tell a Krispy Kreme from a Dunkin. 
The new young cops can only sniff out weed and pumpkin spice latte.  

:P

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Irelavent.

Not irrelevant. I have witnessed infestations on new transit railcars that caused all kinds of electrical and mechanical problems. Roaches in relays can be a real problem. Nice eat the insulation off wires. Not to mention the diseases these things bring onboard. 

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In Los Angeles there is an actual civil code regarding eating, drinking, playing music, selling items and being a general nuisance. It is no longer enforced because of dirtbags suing the agency over enforcement. 

Those rules and other stuff like that is why those who aren't sheep don't like to use public transportation!!  Having had the experience, I personally wouldn't WANT to eat while confined in the "paid areas" of public transit!!  The fact that this incident occurred, even while they freely admit that they don't "NORMALLY" enforce this rule adds a layer of olfactory displeasure to the officer's actions!!  The fact that the officer used it as an excuse to attempt to search the suspect's bag smells too!!

My dad was a cop for nearly forty years, altogether.  I don't think he'd have EVER gone to that extreme.  The officer WAS very professional on the surface, but he was supposedly responding to a call and stopped to hassle the guy for what others were doing openly and without being singled out.  The cop should have instructed the guy to throw it away and moved on!!

My SEMA approved fire suit is on and I even have the funny car boots on!!  Flame away!!

AND!!  Yeah! The other guy was an @$$ too!!

The officer just did was expected to do enforce the law wrong or right IDK. If the guy just cooperate I am sure wouldn't be any video.

People tend to believe that a camera/phone extrapolate to rightness condition.

However, the rightness of the Law can be discuss forever. But, littering is worst than ever everywhere.

Visiting South FL you will have more chances of crashing with an abandon shopping cart than have a sunny day.

czhen

FL.     

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Not irrelevant. I have witnessed infestations on new transit railcars that caused all kinds of electrical and mechanical problems. Roaches in relays can be a real problem. Nice eat the insulation off wires. Not to mention the diseases these things bring onboard. 

1 hour ago, czhen said:

The officer just did was expected to do enforce the law wrong or right IDK. If the guy just cooperate I am sure wouldn't be any video.

People tend to believe that a camera/phone extrapolate to rightness condition.

However, the rightness of the Law can be discuss forever. But, littering is worst than ever everywhere.

Visiting South FL you will have more chances of crashing with an abandon shopping cart than have a sunny day.

czhen

FL.     

I'm saying that the if a law was in fact broken or not, I don't think the LEO handled it well at all.  Knowing what we have, as a nation, a record for conflicts with minorities of every kind, the cop is going to look to be wrong to way to hell and gone too many people.  This wasn't a violent crime nor a robbery, but a (probably at most) a misdemeanor.  Write the puke a ticket and let him go unless there is an overwhelming reason to detain him.

And I don't give hoot in hell about diseases and such on the BART.  THAT makes most of comments above irrelevant in my book, including those about other places.

Remember... this is the Land of Prop 47 - titled on the ballot as "The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act" but in reality is the "Crime With No Consequences Act."

Burglary or theft of anything valued at not over $950 is basically a "ticket-able" offense.  Too often, police don't even bother anymore.  The "Sandwich Caper" kinda offers a different perspective...   :rolleyes:

One wonders if some miscreant had snatched a passenger's laptop, would the police have given chase?  :mellow:

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm saying that the if a law was in fact broken or not, I don't think the LEO handled it well at all.  Knowing what we have, as a nation, a record for conflicts with minorities of every kind, the cop is going to look to be wrong to way to hell and gone too many people.  This wasn't a violent crime nor a robbery, but a (probably at most) a misdemeanor.  Write the puke a ticket and let him go unless there is an overwhelming reason to detain him.

And I don't give hoot in hell about diseases and such on the BART.  THAT makes most of comments above irrelevant in my book, including those about other places.

Get off the lawn! :P

Police patrol notebook tip #32:

While patting subjects suspicious bulges down for possible weapons, be aware that bear claws are squishy unless stale.

Boston Creams or eclairs however, can lead to a catastrophic eruption if squeezed.

Archived