SASS Wire Forum

32 S&W Long

Renegade Ripley

is there a lever gun that could run a 32 S&W Long?

I Know Winchester makes a 32 special 

Thanks Renegade Ripley

Possibly a Henry. They are making a 327 mag. But then you have a rifle that won’t go fast...

16 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

The only one that I'm aware of would be the Marlin 32 H&R Cowboy as long as the OAL does not be come a problem.

YES, the Marlin will.    If you are lucky, you might not need any timing adjustments but my guess is that

you will need the timing set up for a short cartridge UNLESS you keep your OAL at the .32 H&R OAL.

Good luck in finding the Marlin .32

They didn't made many of them and the present owners aren't eager to sell them

without some serious $$$.

..........Widder

Yes, Henry .327 Fed. Mag. will run .327 Fed. Mag., .32 H & R Mag., and .32 S & W.

See reviews here...

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-henry-big-boy-rifles-carbines-in-327-fed-mag-video

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/1/14/the-long-and-short-of-the-327-fed-mag-cartridge/

Like others have said, not a fast SASS gun. I have a couple Henry Big Boys in various calibers and have shot each in SASS matches...good looking, solid, made in USA, and brass shines real nice on a sunny day. I also have the Big Boy Steel Carbine .327 Fed. Mag., 16.5" barrel, with a standard lever I haven't installed yet (project for next year with loads for .32 S & W). Specs say "9+1" .32 S &W, but I think it will hold 10. Henry rifles could be a more economical option.

RRR

+1 to the Marlin 92.

There are two firing pins: one rimfire and one centerfire.

Usually, these original guns have not been shot for many decades.

Similar frame and lever size as the Model 39 in .22LR.

22 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Marlin Model 92 will feed 32 Long.

12 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

+1 to the Marlin 92.

There are two firing pins: one rimfire and one centerfire.

Usually, these original guns have not been shot for many decades.

Similar frame and lever size as the Model 39 in .22LR.

The Marlin Model 92 is chambered to interchangeably shoot 32 rimfire or 32 Colt, both heel-based bullets.  The 32 S&W Long bullet has lubrication grooves and is seated inside the case, making the case diameter larger than the 32 Colt.

The Marlin 92 can be converted to fire 32 S&W Long just by rechambering and opening up the loading slot to accommodate the larger round.  

6 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

The Marlin Model 92 is chambered to interchangeably shoot 32 rimfire or 32 Colt, both heel-based bullets.  The 32 S&W Long bullet has lubrication grooves and is seated inside the case, making the case diameter larger than the 32 Colt.

The Marlin 92 can be converted to fire 32 S&W Long just by rechambering and opening up the loading slot to accommodate the larger round.  

you are correct, but you will want to hand load .308 bullets or resize .312 bullets down to .310. The bores in the ones I rechambered were .309. If you use the .312's you will be pushing the pressure up. Not a good thing. These guns don't have locking bolts. The lockup is the end of the lever coming up under the breech bolt much like a chair is used for a door stop. Ok for 22 but not a strong setup.

Archived