SASS Wire Forum

Stumbled upon an SASS event

Mtsbauer

I Was at the range today and stumbled upon an SASS event. I was happy to watch as this was something I'd never seen before. I'm fairly new to shooting for sport. I was happy to watch but was repeatedly encouraged to join in. I hadn't the gear or ammo and I'm not the type to use others things. But Miss Sandy insisted and I caved. I shot a stage and by the end i was shaking with adrenaline. Miss Sandy knew what she was getting me into. I'm jumping in with both feet, but I really just need some sort of guidance. I'm stationed in Pensacola, Florida. I'd like to talk more about the events to gain an understanding and possibly start acquiring my own gear. Thanks yall

Welcome. There is plenty of SASS information on line to read, plus I recommend reading the SASS handbook. Continue to visit a few events and talk to folks for some guidance. Check out what firearms they shoot. This is a friendly bunch of folks who are very glad to help you. All you need to do is ask.... Good Luck!

There are lots of good clubs in Florida.  They are organized by state on the main SASS website.

You can download the Handbook but attending matches and talking to folks is a great way to learn the game.

7 hours ago, Mtsbauer said:

I Was at the range today and stumbled upon an SASS event. I was happy to watch as this was something I'd never seen before. I'm fairly new to shooting for sport. I was happy to watch but was repeatedly encouraged to join in. I hadn't the gear or ammo and I'm not the type to use others things. But Miss Sandy insisted and I caved. I shot a stage and by the end i was shaking with adrenaline. Miss Sandy knew what she was getting me into. I'm jumping in with both feet, but I really just need some sort of guidance. I'm stationed in Pensacola, Florida. I'd like to talk more about the events to gain an understanding and possibly start acquiring my own gear. Thanks yall

Welcome!!  This game is addictive. 

Florida - SASS Affiliated Clubs

Alabama - SASS Affiliated Clubs

Louisiana - SASS Affiliated Clubs

Welcome aboard, Mtsbauer!  If you're stationed at Pensacola NAS, there is an excellent club that shoots at Escambia River Muzzle Loaders range just up the road in Cantonment.  Several of their members also shoot at our monthly matches over in Chipley, FL.  Miss Sandy is a real peach and a great person to know all around, as are the president Jeb Stuart, and an excellent gunsmith Mad Dane.  Hope to see you in Chipley soon.

Oh yeah, another good pard is just down the road from you over in Mississippi, Tequila Chase.  Send him a pm, he's a good feller.

Mtsbauer,

I have a wooden gun cart in new condition I can donate to you if you need one, as well as some other SASS gear.  I'd be honored to help a member of our military get started.

MH

Keep attending the matches where you just shot.  Bring factory 38 Special, all-lead cartridges and low-recoil 12 gauge shotgun shells with you and shoot all the guns offered to you.  You will have preferences.  Don't buy guns yet but do get a stiff, wide belt and a western hat. 

Hat not required.  But, if you want, just like with other gear you like, cry once, buy once.  Get the right stuff the 1st time.  Spending less to get started is ok, if you have the disposable income, but it's SO MUCH MORE FUN to have good, reliable gear before you start beating the snot outta your competitors!  Borrowing stuff from your fellow shooters in this sport, will help you more in understanding why not to buy the cheapest sixgun or shotgun available.  Although I can't stand the things, Ruger makes great, rugged handguns that can be tuned to be a real joy to shoot, (for those that like 'em, or as I tease my friends, those that just don't know any better)!  One cannot go wrong with a Uberti 1873 rifle, but, the differences in barrel length and contour will affect your shooting greatly.  So, having a bit of experience with different ones will shorten the process of buying & selling several to get one YOU like.  Maybe you like the '66 better, some folks do, yet the same applies...  same applies to the Marlin 1894 or Rossi 1892 clones.  I ain't even gonna start on shotguns, but, IMO, simple is good... double trigger side x side is the simple solution.   The market is filled with 'em, some better'n others.  Some will steer you away from the Stoeger, but mine's still running fine after 34 years in this sport.

Which brings me to modifications... those that improve the reliability and function are good... those that prematurely wear your gun out, are BAD!    I've seen sidexsides with the chamber mouths cut so wide that they quickly reach the point where headspace is an issue.  Yet a little radius is a great boon to quick, and smooth clambering of shells... as with most things it's a matter of degrees.

Your desired category will also affect your gear choices.  Wanna shoot B-Western, can't use the same rifle as you can in Classic Cowboy, or vice versa.  Wanna shoot Frontiersman?  Have to use cap & ball revolvers, can't use a 1897 shotgun... but c&b revolvers are legal in all categories!  Wanna shoot Duelist style, (one handed, unsupported), revolvers must be fixed sighted.  So, the suggestion to download the Shooter's Handbook is very valid.  Visiting shoots, will give the opportunity to see folks outfitted for the different categories.  And will give you ideas for your own. 

Welcome to the 2nd most fun shooting activity, (mounted cowboy action) is way more adrenaline inducing!  But the gear requirements are a bit more strenuous on the pocket book!:D

Welcome to the fun.

As suggested, try others toys before you buy, to make sure your initial purchases are the right ones.

For now.

welcome.gif

Welcome to the dance .

If you dont mind I will give you some good advice to start with.

1. Saftey first .

2. Only compete with yourself. 

3. Have fun . 

Hope to see you on the trail.

Rooster 

Same thing happened to me pard.  Go back and hang out with the local club, help set up and tear down matches, watch, listen to advice, and learn.  I found CAS very addictive and was all in before I knew it.  It is great fun and the people have been the best part.  

Howdy and Welcome from North of the Medicine Line ....

But what turns YOUR crank ,,, AFTER you go to a bunch of shoots and talk to folks .....

And Don't miss talking to those that shoot the Real Powder ...

Jabez Cowboy

Welcome, this is just the beginning of a great learning experience, my ex-wife called it Cowboy Heroin. While there is no requirement for a hat it is highly recommended. And Sunbody makes the best, for reasonable $. so go get one.

Imis 

I shot the first two years without a hat!  My persona was an outlaw river pirate, a bandana tied around my head and even an earring!!  When I went to a toggle link rifle, (1860 Henry) I got myself a hat!!  Hot, black powder .45 shells down your shirt will make you alter your game!! :o  :lol:

I had most everything to get started except the gun leather and a cart!  My first rifle and shotgun weren't "the choicest product of the brewer's art", but I wasn't out any money for them and I was able to find suitable replacements by patiently shopping while I learned the game.

I now have enough good gear to outfit myself and four or five others, including one closet that contains NOTHING but cowboy clothes.  This game is addictive, (cowboy heroin) but you CAN do it reasonably economically!!  

DO!  Go to a couple of matches, at least!!  Accept offers to try out different equipment and gear!! (Offer to pay for ammo and treat other folks' stuff with care!)

DON'T!!  Buy anything JUST because someone else recommends it! (It may not fit you or your skills!!)  The "Buy once! Cry once!" advice CAN work for you and save you money in the long run!!

And if you decide to join us, WELCOME TO THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON!!!

Howdy, sounds about how I got started 14 years ago. Saw a bunch of cowboys at the range in Phoenix. Went to watch and wound up hooked. You will get a bunch of advice, watch folks shoot, pick brass, help the posse. That will help you notice how they work their transitions, and then I guaranty that you will find a mentor! I've been lucky enough to have found several. And have been one a time or two. 

Have fun and be safe.

Rafe

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I shot the first two years without a hat!  My persona was an outlaw river pirate, a bandana tied around my head and even an earring!!  When I went to a toggle link rifle, (1860 Henry) I got myself a hat!!  Hot, black powder .45 shells down your shirt will make you alter your game!! :o  :lol:

Me too, until I got a really bad sunburn on my head. If you shoot a '73 or '66 hot shells are a hazard.

the nice part of getting "pressed into service" in this game is there is no down side - you make of it what you want to , its everything you make of it , that can be a lifetime adventure that gives you ties to childhood and the adventures you read about in books and saw in movies - its all good , its all fun - its all about the great folks you have already met and will meet in the future , cannot go wrong here and will have a great time , 

As others have mentioned, don't buy any guns until you've tried out several at matches.  Yes, try out whatever guns people are offering you to try.  Bring ammo or at least offer to pay for the ammo you use.  Talk with lots of shooters and get their reasons for using what they use.  Good leather is a must. See what others are using and decide what will work best for you before you buy.  Cheap leather is a waste of money for many reasons. While a hat isn't a must, it is a good idea. WELCOME to the greatest game there is where almost everyone is friendly and willing to help you out.

Archived