SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun boogie mainspring

Iron Tomahawk Kid

I was hoping to get input on the shotgun Boogie mainspring for a Uberti 73 pistol grip if anyone has used these it would be much appreciated to get your feedback also if anyone has used the Pioneer Gun Works mainspring just trying to figure out a more reliable system than the original ground down flat main spring thanks tomahawk

No experience with the shotgun Boogie mainspring, but I have two '73s in which I've installed the PGW mainspring - one straight grip, one pistol grip.  I'm very happy with the results in both rifles.

I haven't found anything more reliable than the flat spring.....I tried the mouse trap type spring from PGW....it works but I ended up going back to the flat spring. It's probably set off close to 75,000+ Winchester small pistol magnum primers. A lot of the "upgrades" in this game are answers to questions that don't need to be asked.

Stan

I have the PGW in my Wild Bunch rifle, it is 100% reliable with Federal primers. It works well and feels good, but a ground mainspring actually feels better to me. That said it's been in there for years and I haven't seen a need to change it. My 73' for cowboy has a ground flat spring.

Those I know with the Shotgun Boogie kit are happy. Look at Slix Springs too, I've felt these at Winter Range, they function well, but I haven't shot a gun with one installed.

Tully

I have them in my rifles. When I first got my rifle back it was far too light to set off the Winchester primers I use. Boogie said that would probably happen with Winchester’s so he included a stronger spring in the package. After swapping out springs all primers went bang with no problem. But to your original question, I can’t tell a difference between the new coil and the old flat spring. Rifle runs absolutely fantastic though. It did get out of time but that’s on me. Boogie is fixing right now.

1 hour ago, Iron Tomahawk Kid said:

I was hoping to get input on the shotgun Boogie mainspring for a Uberti 73 pistol grip if anyone has used these it would be much appreciated to get your feedback also if anyone has used the Pioneer Gun Works mainspring just trying to figure out a more reliable system than the original ground down flat main spring thanks tomahawk

I tried out the PGW coil mainspring conversion, which takes a bit to fit right so there is no interference.   You do have to modify your stock and the frame.  They include a good set of instructions.  But, after using it for a while as a test, I swapped back to a flat tuned mainspring.  It just feels better, it's reliable, and it's far less expensive.  I put years of use in on my 73, and the mainspring is fine.  I have no experience with the Shotgun Boogie product.

5 hours ago, Iron Tomahawk Kid said:

Stan what made you change back from PGW to a flat mainspring was it a failure to fire or was it too hard to tune thanks, Tomawk

I like the feel of the flat spring better.....

Stan

I have had Boogie’s mainspring in both of my 1873s for the last 3 years or so.  It is smooth and totally reliable with Federal primers.  

I switched to it after a bad experiences with a tuned, flat mainspring. I had a brand new rifle worked on by a well known Cowboy gunsmith and after roughly 300 rounds, it failed, leaving 9 rounds in the rifle. Bad luck that this happened at Winter Range.  Even after tightening the mainspring as far as you could turn the screw, it did not function reliably.  

That is why I switched to Boogie’ s mainspring and never looked back. 

Archived