SASS Wire Forum

Aviation Enthusiast, Curtiss P-6E Hawks

Savvy Jack

I am posting this in here because I have seen some aviation buffs over the years. i was building an 82% scale but sold the project well over ten years ago. At the time I had a website with both original and replica Hawks. I decided to republish the original Hawk website with some additions. I am still adding to it and editing but if you are interested in some cool photos...

https://sites.google.com/view/p6etest/army-hawks

Nice pictures.  I always wanted to fly a biplane but never got the chance.  I flew a lot of tail draggers though:  PA-12 Supercub, PA-11 Family Cruiser, PA16 Clipper, Chipmunk, Stinson, and I owned a PT-26 at one time.  I stopped flying about 35 years ago though.  It got too expensive!

1 hour ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Nice pictures.  I always wanted to fly a biplane but never got the chance.  I flew a lot of tail draggers though:  PA-12 Supercub, PA-11 Family Cruiser, PA16 Clipper, Chipmunk, Stinson, and I owned a PT-26 at one time.  I stopped flying about 35 years ago though.  It got too expensive!

Nice list Sam!!

I grew up around old airplanes myself. we had a HOCKER-DENIEN SPARROW-HAWK, Cubs Champs, 1928 WACO straightwing a Fairchild 24....flew and flew in many more. Yeap, got too expensive in more than one way. I do fly a 185 for a living now

This is what I got done to the P-6E Hawk when I sold it.

100_1711.JPG

I never tried to build one.  That looks like a lot of good work went into getting so far along.  Must have hurt to sell it.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:01 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Very cool!

Yes, open cockpit planes were very cool...especially in late October in Central Illinois.  Was a passenger in a WACO, and dispite being well dressed, nearly froze my "six" off!  I'll stick with enclosed cabins, thank you!

A gentleman named Andy Reid was building one of these in Tennessee in the '70s.  He was going to power it with a Warner Super Scarab.  I moved away from Nashville before he got very far with his project and never knew whether he finished it or not.

Duffield

This 82% scale project was being built with plans from S.A.C.O. (Sauser Aircraft Co.) Plans #27 from Don Sauser of California. Ironically he sold 46 sets of plans, the number of actual Hawks build, although one was the prototype.

Don's Hawk sits in the March Airforce Base Museum in California.

https://www.marchfield.org/aircraft/fighter/p-6-hawk-curtis-replica/

National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. March Field Air
Museum’s P-6E 32-240 is a 7/8 scale replica. March Field’s P-6E appears in the
“Snow Owl” livery of Captain Ross G. Hoyt, Commanding Officer of the 17th
Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, based at Selfridge Field, Mich. in 1933.