SASS Wire Forum

case separation .44-40

Spoon River Sam, SASS #33194L

Hello the Wire,

Looking for some advice. During a match today I had a case separation in my Uberti 1873 rifle in .44-40 shooting Black MZ. (Starline Brass). Only the back half of the case came free, upper half (neck half) remains in the chamber. Do they make a case extraction tool for .44-40 or do you know of any other remedies ? I tried the old tight patch around the Jag trick with no luck. Appreciate any and all help.

Thank you in advance,

Spoon River Sam

Had this happen to me with my 25.20, ended up ended up getting a drill tapper thing-a-ma-jig from the local Home Depot to screw into the brass, and pulled it out with pliers.

Shotgun Boogie has a tool for this, but only in 38 and 45.

I wonder if the 45 cal version would work if two opposing tabs where removed, thus allowing the two remaining tabs more flex to compress into the smaller 44.40 chamber.

Bore plugged with a cleaning patch or two immediately in front of chamber, then fill chamber and first half-inch of barrel with cerrosafe alloy (melts over boiling water).   Let cool and pound out the plug from muzzle end with a 3/8" brass rod.  Cerrosafe can be obtained from Brownells or Midway or Rotometals (where it's "sale priced" today).

Good luck, GJ

Why the case separated - dirty brass, foul ate the metal:

Black MZ

*  Perchlorate - 22.77% - Oxidizing Salt :angry:

* Nitrate - 13.13%

* Chlorate - 12.17%   formed from the reaction of hypochlorous acid with chlorite .   :angry:

* Ascorbate - 3.05% ... Ascorbic Acid  :angry:

Archived