SASS Wire Forum

Well this was a nice surprise

Utah Bob #35998

A few years back I learned of the Museum of the Republic of Vietnam being opened in California. I recalled I had a flag somewhere that I hade brought back in ‘70. I eventually got in contact with the folks in charge, (one is a retired Viet-American  US Navy Captain) and they were thrilled that I wanted to donate it. I guess seeing as how things ended, the bulk of the war artifacts are in GI hands seeing as how most Vietnamese got out with only the clothes on their backs. They wanted to fly me out for the ceremony and banquet but I politely declined. Didn’t want a fuss made.
A Facebook friend sent me these pics this morning. I had seen pics of the flag raising ceremony and opening of the museum but not the display itself. I guess they got the pics from my FB page. Glad the banner finally found a good home. Maybe I’ll get out there some day.

AFB20937-A661-44D7-AEC0-3CB20EBE2A75.jpeg

552A9E35-2D10-4808-A28D-1FE796A4CAF0.jpeg

Good job, UB!!

Well done all around.  You, sir, for your generous donation, and the Museum for acknowledging you, not with just a little tag "Generously donated by Capt. Bob de Groff, US Army (ret.)" but a brief summary of your service and photographs.  

38 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well done all around.  You, sir, for your generous donation, and the Museum for acknowledging you, not with just a little tag "Generously donated by Capt. Bob de Groff, US Army (ret.)" but a brief summary of your service and photographs.  

I assumed that would be the case, hence my surprise.

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A few years back I learned of the Museum of the Republic of Vietnam being opened in California. I recalled I had a flag somewhere that I hade brought back in ‘70. I eventually got in contact with the folks in charge, (one is a retired Viet-American  US Navy Captain) and they were thrilled that I wanted to donate it. I guess seeing as how things ended, the bulk of the war artifacts are in GI hands seeing as how most Vietnamese got out with only the clothes on their backs. They wanted to fly me out for the ceremony and banquet but I politely declined. Didn’t want a fuss made.
A Facebook friend sent me these pics this morning. I had seen pics of the flag raising ceremony and opening of the museum but not the display itself. I guess they got the pics from my FB page. Glad the banner finally found a good home. Maybe I’ll get out there some day.

AFB20937-A661-44D7-AEC0-3CB20EBE2A75.jpeg

552A9E35-2D10-4808-A28D-1FE796A4CAF0.jpeg

You were such a cute 2nd John!

4 hours ago, Noz said:

You were such a cute 2nd John!

That’s what all the sailors told me.

It earned a place of respect. Thank you

35 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

RG, Reverse that. He lived and worked in Fla., then retired to Utah.

UB, Bravo for you. It was nice that they gave some background on you:FlagAm:

They got some things wrong. I retired to Colorado. I do not live in Utah, But I can see it from my house. :lol:

Archived