SASS Wire Forum

SASS Convention?

Wrangler Bob

Our generation grew up watching TV and the silver screen show westerns after westerns. It was/is part of our culture. The after Boomers group may have watched a few westerns but didn't latch onto it like we did. They are the push button in front of the computer/TV fantasy players. If you look at the "Cons' Around the country there isn't anything or any characters depicting cow peoples! They are into super hero's and fantasy Anime. Why would they want to be a cowboy when they can be Thor or ..... Also an X-Box doesn't cost $3,000+ to get you into their game.

The conventions stopped for the reasons stated above. Attendance dropped, vendors dropped, SASS lost money. If you look at the first conventions they were attended really well and no shooting was involved. So it isn't the lack of a shooting venue. Large number of vendors, great social events, and many classes to choose from. Change of location did nothing to breath life into it.

I would offer that like the many shooting events across the nation where attendance has dropped its because of burnout, I've been there 6 times and nothing new, people dropping out of the sport, or dropping dead! Our club and the clubs around us have all experienced significant drops in registration for our annual shoots. Recently a shoot that used to have 200 shooters is now down to 60. We went from 175 down to 70. I'm ignoring Winter Range and EOT.

We have tried radio announcements, tables at gun shows, tables in front of Cabela's and Sportsmans, TV advertisement, mailers, attending other sporting events and handing out flyers. We tend to loose as many as we gain. No growth at all. So I don't know about being painted into corners or not really trying to capture more members means after all fo that.

Most are mislead by seeing new members at the 103000 member numbers. SASS has offered up there are about 27,000 paying members and some greatly smaller number of life members still active. So armchair marketing people whats your big plan to get SASS back tot eh level it was 10 years ago?  

Ike

21 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So armchair marketing people whats your big plan to get SASS back tot eh level it was 10 years ago?  

Ike

Here is a popular topic/idea (said in a sarcastic voice). I believe one change (among many) would to be bring the action into the game. We are stifled by regs/rules and have limited action we can perform, here comes the big finish for comments.

Let us in brace the 3-gun world a bit and let us shoot move and communicate, I do believe by bringing action back in or more of it would attract some younger as it stands moving left and right, or just right is not attractive and exciting. (forgive if this topic has been covered in past) My 1.5cents enjoy the game not going anywhere but would love a lot more movement and downrange action. annnnnnnd go.

NCOWS has a convention every year and no shooting is involved. This coming year it will be in Nashville, Indiana.

"The 2020 NCOWS Convention will be held in Nashville, Indiana at The Seasons Lodge and Conference Center on March 20th, 21st, and 22nd, 2020.

This Convention will feature several interesting Seminars on a variety of Old West Topics, an Old West Show and Sale with quality vendors selling clothing, firearms, leather, books, period collectibles and more, a Ladies Tea and a Banquet on Saturday night."

http://www.ncowsconvention.com/

Maybe smaller is better. I wanted to attend but we are moving in a month.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, BootStrap Phil said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book_convention

Here is a link, it is much more than a convention. It really focus on the topic at hand, and brings in vendors, experts,etc. Pull up San Diego Comic Con and take a look. Now is it guaranteed to bring in youngish ??? It sure would help but again would recommend getting the Steam Punk category up and running and really look at the current structure MHO, would it take a lot of resources to do Yup.

Anyhow done right could really suck in some Millennial's or at a lest bring some light of day back to CAS. but realistically this is just all fun talk like if I won the lottery i would buy.......

Thanks BootStrap!

That sounds a lot like the SASS Convention. I've followed FB posts on Costume Con. I should go there. However, I don't sew much anymore and the costumes are so special there. It is similar too.

Maybe SASS could try it again, reduce vendor fees, call it Cowboy Con, and advertise it in gun magazines. I really liked the last venue, Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa Henderson, Nevada‎. It is a long drive for me; but, doable in a day and way less expensive than getting to Branson. Still I wouldn't have missed Branson or San Antonio.

LPL and I attended many conventions. We always had a good time. We met new folks, met up with people we only see once a year and attended seminars. It was good while it lasted. 

Next year will be our club 25th anniversary and to be honest we will be lucky to get 1/3 of the shooters we got years ago. We did the gun shows, fliers at gun shops etc. There needs to be marketing but to who? One of the most common comments made at the gun show “yes we have seen CAS on programs and those shooters are really fast. I don’t think I can compete against shooters like that”

Hey it’s a great idea to show what world champions can do. Then again does it send the wrong message?   IMO maybe just the average shooters (especially families) can also get top billing when comes to showing that all ages can have fun!! If Steam Punk is a way to get more shooters go for it.

We got our first youngin in years shooting with grandpa because of Steam Punk.

Adding more movement is great but remember not all clubs have the ability to move forward.

Get the membership increased to high levels then maybe there could be new possibly of more interest in attending a convention.

Just my $.02

Nawlins Kid

Hi Nawlins,

Good thoughts.

After a "top shooter" posted a video of himself shooting really fast. I asked about showing it in slo-mo. He put me on ignore. Seriously. I thought that it would be educational. He thought it was insulting. :rolleyes: Luckily, He is one of a kind.;)

Some people...

Regards,

Allie

57 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Nawlins,

Good thoughts.

After a "top shooter" posted a video of himself shooting really fast. I asked about showing it in slo-mo. He put me on ignore. Seriously. I thought that it would be educational. He thought it was insulting. :rolleyes: Luckily, He is one of a kind.;)

Some people...

Regards,

Allie

I agree 100 %.

2 hours ago, Nawlins Kid said:

Next year will be our club 25th anniversary and to be honest we will be lucky to get 1/3 of the shooters we got years ago. We did the gun shows, fliers at gun shops etc. There needs to be marketing but to who? One of the most common comments made at the gun show “yes we have seen CAS on programs and those shooters are really fast. I don’t think I can compete against shooters like that”

Exactly, on the social media site that I have for new or prospective shooters, I rarely post a video of a top shooter at speed, just because of that.  I do use videos a few of the best shooters have made that are instructional "how and what to practice" types..   Smokestack, Deuce Stevens, Lead Ringer, Long Hunter, and others have made some really good instructional videos.  

They were fun. Thre was no shooting but the TG meetings were great. I met lota of interesting, nice people that were from parts of the country that did not attend most of the matches I entered. I had a wonderful time at them and am sorry to not d am sorry they ended.

I see the top shooter video comment all the time and im not really debating the possible intimidation factor.  

But if we are trying to bring in new blood and excite them - does reinforcing the stereotype of SASS shooters all being old, fat, gray and slow benefit our cause?

Or in other words - marketing to a demographic that will be gone in 10 years instead of one that will be around for 30 seems counterproductive.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I does reinforcing the stereotype of SASS shooters all being old, fat, gray and slow benefit our cause?

There are thousands of videos out there.  You don't have to show old, fat, gray and slow, to find shooters who put up times in the low - mid 20s.  You also don't have to always show men, or adults.   You can intersperse videos of shooters who put up times in the low-mid teens without making it the dominant feature.    

13 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I see the top shooter video comment all the time and im not really debating the possible intimidation factor.  

But if we are trying to bring in new blood and excite them - does reinforcing the stereotype of SASS shooters all being old, fat, gray and slow benefit our cause?

Or in other words - marketing to a demographic that will be gone in 10 years instead of one that will be around for 30 seems counterproductive.

In my earlier post I mentioned “average shooters” which are not all “old, fat, gray and slow”.  I also mentioned showing "family" participation. What I was trying to say is let’s not give the impression that you can’t have “fun” unless the stages are shot at lighting speed . There a lots of SASS shooters that know they will never win the Pink Yugo but still come out to shoot and have "fun".

We are completing against other shooting sports and how many actually show a father, mother and children participation?

BTW sometimes those old fat, gray and slow shooters bring their grandchildren to shoot. There is always a possibility the grandchild will keep shooting after grandpa decides to stop shooting.

Just my $.02

Nawlins

FWIW, I always bring .22 revolvers and rifles plus .410s and 20 doubles to matches with leather. There are usually kids there with parents/grandparents. I have taught hundreds of Scouts how to use single action .22 revolvers. We also have cowboy action shooting events which are immensely popular.

Kids still like to shoot lots of guns and enjoy fancy scenarii. 

Archived