SASS Wire Forum

SASS Convention?

Wrangler Bob

NO,  Attendance was too low to pay for the facilities at the later ones. They tried a couple further East but the attendance there was lower than at Las Vegas.  Finally stoped them due to loosing money.

Not lately. Attendance was low, they tried to move it to a more central location,  the organization tried to go non-profit, and other stuff began to get in the way, so they suspended the convention.

It was not well attended and quite expensive to put on so SASS understandably did away with the convention. 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I loved attending the Conventions and met so many wonderful people I would not know otherwise.

I am saddened by their passing.

Everyone you met at the conventions died? 

I met you in Vegas and I'm still kicking.  

:D

Hard to get shooters to spend a lot of money to go to an event that had no shooting.

Only reason I seen to go was an excuse to go to Vegas. But still never made it.

Once it moved from there. No reason at all to go. Hence the death of the Convention.

Or at least that's how I see it.

The last SASS convention I wandered thru had Riders in the Sky as the Saturday night entertainment, I've always liked their act so the wife and I bought tickets,

We got there early to get good seats but we didn't have to as I doubt that there were 75 people there for the show, The Riders put on a great show but the attendance was really embarrassing.    

27 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

They had one in Branson Missouri but unfortunately had a freak early heavy snow storm.  

It was still fun. There were many people I'd never met as they didn't come to Vegas. Same with San Antonio. However, the vendors were in a different building a block away. That hurt their business.

They had some pajama gala, that was just weird. I agree with Anvil Al, non shooting events are not what attracts a crowd.

A big shooting event and a Cowboy Convention (Cowboy Con) would be a huge draw in the right location. 

During every SASS Convention in Las Vegas, (and Henderson) the Eldorado Cowboys were shooting their normal monthly shoot 15 miles away.

We even volunteered to meet people out at the range so they could drop of their gun cart and guns and store them locked up so they wouldn't have to take them into the hotel.

I cannot remember even one attendee of the convention coming to shoot.

26 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

During every SASS Convention in Las Vegas, (and Henderson) the Eldorado Cowboys were shooting their normal monthly shoot 15 miles away.

We even volunteered to meet people out at the range so they could drop of their gun cart and guns and store them locked up so they wouldn't have to take them into the hotel.

I was at the last one and it was a bust. SASS may be too far gone for a successful event until something changes. Catering to the retired is not growing the game.

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

They had some pajama gala, that was just weird. I agree with Anvil Al, non shooting events are not what attracts a crowd.

A big shooting event and a Cowboy Convention (Cowboy Con) would be a huge draw in the right location. 

Now there is an idea to attract new younger shooters! Cowboy Con, may take a minute to launch and a little bit longer to explain to the old timers what a con is, but that's a great idea. Shoot millennials and the generation below them love Cons hell I am 52 and I love the Cons!

There's Harry Potter Cons, Comic Cons, Prepper Cons, Anime Cons all though may have to up the annie with the whole Steampunk Category cause that would help.  

I like it!

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

I was at the last one and it was a bust. SASS may be too far gone for a successful event until something changes. Catering to the retired is not growing the game.

I with you Assassin something has to change if you want the sport to grow, won't even try to list the multitudes but "Roger That" catering to the retired and grumpy is not growing the game.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The Dooley Gang shot with You guys 2011. 15 shooter I think rented a bus and the driver took us out on a day trip to your range. Thank you so much for a great time. T Bone

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Assassin said:

What is a Con? How is it different than a Convention?

12 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

It's a convention. Just shortened up to sound "cool". Millenials think it's cool to go to Comic Con. 

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS Assassin, One year at the pajama party a bunch of us dressed as Apple O'Day's Road Crew.  We thought it was funny.

Apple O'Day and her Road Crew.jpg

I don't get it. But, you look good with those golden curls.

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Okay! So, if we called it the SASS Con, would it attract the B) kids? ;)

No. It would have to attract all aspects of cowboying, not just SASS. The wax bullet thing didn't help our cause either. I had people telling me they thought we shot wax bullets only and no lead, no telling how many potential shooters that chased away.

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

I don't get it. But, you look good with those golden curls.

Thanks!:blush:

We were a trailer trash road group with goofy names and matching name tags. Velvet Glove was Bobby Gently, Calico Pettifogger was Johnny Money, Peaches O'day was Apple O'Day, her sister was Tammi Whynot. I was Allie MoMo their manager, I don't remember the others aliases to their aliases. Sheesh, it was so fun, I thought I'd never forget.

5 minutes ago, watab kid said:

probably not ....just being honest here - it would be us older folk if we could make it , i do like that happy photo above it made me think it might be fun , 

We had a blast. Here is another photo from the PJ party.

It was always fun, even without the shooting. There were seminars from top shooters and gunsmiths; like Lassiter, Holy Terror, Frederick Jackson Turner, Capt. George Baylor...

Mary, Wimpy Bunny, and Rustler.jpg

On 11/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, Assassin said:

SASS isn't going to grow.  It may survive a while, but attracting young people is a fantasy.  It grew by leaps and bounds because the age group you now want to throw under the bus joined up by the tens of thousands.  SASS was a "What you are is where you were when" phenomenon.  We were in front of the TV watching westerns.  That era has come and gone.

2 hours ago, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

The Dooley Gang shot with You guys 2011. 15 shooter I think rented a bus and the driver took us out on a day trip to your range. Thank you so much for a great time. T Bone

That was some time ago, but I do remember now..... I think you were the only group.  If we got one couple from the Convention it was a BIG occasion.

9 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

SASS isn't going to grow.  It may survive a while, but attracting young people is a fantasy.  It grew by leaps and bounds because the age group you now want to throw under the bus joined up by the tens of thousands.  SASS was a "What you are is where you were when" phenomenon.  We were in front of the TV watching westerns.  That era has come and gone.

Where did I mention throwing someone under the bus? 

11 hours ago, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

I was on the posse with you, Nutin' Graceful, Shadai Vaquero and others I can't even remember. One of the most fun days of shooting in my life. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I was on the posse with you, Nutin' Graceful, Shadai Vaquero and others I can't even remember. One of the most fun days of shooting in my life. :lol: 

English, Texas is only about 1200 miles from you so if you want to relive that memory, saddle up and make the ride east.  It's an experience you'll treasure for life :D:FlagAm:

17 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book_convention

Here is a link, it is much more than a convention. It really focus on the topic at hand, and brings in vendors, experts,etc. Pull up San Diego Comic Con and take a look. Now is it guaranteed to bring in youngish ??? It sure would help but again would recommend getting the Steam Punk category up and running and really look at the current structure MHO, would it take a lot of resources to do Yup.

Anyhow done right could really suck in some Millennial's or at a lest bring some light of day back to CAS. but realistically this is just all fun talk like if I won the lottery i would buy.......

This is off topic a bit but I shake my head a bit ar how easily folks want to

call the game dead/dying. The shooters both current and potential are out there. Nobody wants to talk about the actual issues we are facing as a game, like how we’ve painted ourselves into a corner. It is still growing in areas. And presentation has everything to do with it. 

Deuce, no desire to argue just a little enlightenment.  The actual issues?  Painted into what corner?  Remember, not fighting not arguing just want a little more light on the issue. 

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

This is off topic a bit but I shake my head a bit ar how easily folks want to

call the game dead/dying. The shooters both current and potential are out there. Nobody wants to talk about the actual issues we are facing as a game, like how we’ve painted ourselves into a corner. It is still growing in areas. And presentation has everything to do with it. 

Please tell us more.

What are the "actual issues" and how have  we "painted ourselves into a corner."

What are your suggestions to better present ourselves?

I think most of us are open to anything to grow our beloved sport.

Archived