SASS Wire Forum

I'd forgotten how much fun shooting a 73 is

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Yesterday while on my way to a "Clean with a P" match, [ARGH} I decided for various reasons to use a rifle I'd not taken out for a couple of years, my Winchester 73 in 32-20.  Since getting bit by "the Lightning bug" my lever guns have not been used as much, but I do still take them out once in a while to have fun with them.

Well, I had forgotten how much fun it is to shoot a 73.   It's hard to describe, but there's just something enjoyable about shouldering one of these things.   One thing that I think adds to the allure is that every other cowboy gun I have, be it a 92, Lightning, Spencer, 87, 97, 86, or a 94, they all make a variation on the same "clack clack" sound as you work the action.   The 73 on the other hand makes more of a "clink clink" sound, and as weird as this may sound, there's something about that that is just fun to hear.  There is reason why the gun so dominates our game, and I am convinced that the fact that they are just pleasant to shoot has a lot more to do with it than the fact that they can be easily slicked up and short stroked and what have you.

One fellow asked me, "Is that a real Winchester?"   When I said yes, he asked, "Isn't it too valuable to shoot?"  I just said no.   :)   In my opinion the purpose of a gun is to be shot.  Granted, seeing how some folks throw their guns around and really abuse them in this game, I can see why he asked that question, but I tend to be nicer to my guns than that.  I know, I am a strange duck and I'll never win any speed contests, but I do have fun.

So if you haven't got one, even if you really like something else, try to get yourself a real 73 sometime.   Even if it doesn't become you primary gun, you'll be happy you have it, and you will enjoy shooting it from time to time.

+1 for HKU and the Warden. I've got 73's and 92's in the dash calibers. The 73's get shot at matches once and a while along with my Colts ,, in all three calibers. They do get looks. They are fun.

Isom

Let's see I have a 1860 1866 1873 three 1892's three Marlins  three 1894's and Five Henry's 

I would have to say my favorite rifle to shoot is the one I have with me that day .

Just Sayin. 

3 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Let's see I have a 1860 1866 1873 three 1892's three Marlins  three 1894's and Five Henry's 

I would have to say my favorite rifle to shoot is the one I have with me that day .

Just Sayin. 

What, no Lightning or Burgess? 

Archived