SASS Wire Forum

What would you fetch along

Alpo

The scenario. It is 1925. Your boss is going on safari to Africa and you are going with him.

You are NOT going hunting. He is bringing you to work. Maybe you are his secretary, and he is bringing you along to type up his African adventures at the end of the day. Maybe you are his butler, and he's bringing you along to draw his bath each evening.

Don't really matter what you are being brought for. But you're not coming along to enjoy the hunting trip. You're coming to work.

But you are worried. You have heard that Africa is full of man-eating animals, and man-eating people. So you stick a pistol in your suitcase.

There we are. It is 1925, you are going to Africa, and you are bringing a pistol just in case.

No rifle - pistol. No shotgun - pistol. No 357. Hasn't been invented yet. No 10 mm Glock.

This was a plot in a Tarzan book, the British butler brought along one of those Colt 22 short derringers, and neglected to bring any ammunition. I'm assuming that y'all got a little bit more sense.

I would want to bring a Colt Mdl 1917 .45 revolver.

However, since we're Brits in this scenario, it would likely end up being a .455 Webley.  IF I could get one.

First choice might be the howdah pistol, then Webley, then 1911.

Considering its Africa and all the deadly, MAN EATING species there, including cannibals, I would want

to bring a gun and ONE bullet that would be sufficient to end any future sufferings of being eaten

alive..... ;)

OR, at the least, cripple the guy running with me..... :lol:

..........Widder

Bottom line is if I were going to Africa then (or today) I wouldn’t bring one gun and especially not just One handgun. 

In 1925 I would take at least 2 handguns in .45 Colt and definitely a rifle and that rifle would probably be a Winchester 1895 .405 “Teddy’s Big Medicine”. 

And if my boss said I couldn’t, I wouldn’t go. I wouldn’t have a job like that anyway so the point is moot. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bottom line is if I were going to Africa then (or today) I wouldn’t bring one gun and especially not just One handgun. 

In 1925 I would take at least 2 handguns in .45 Colt and definitely a rifle and that rifle would probably be a Winchester 1895 .405 “Teddy’s Big Medicine”. 

And if my boss said I couldn’t, I wouldn’t go. I wouldn’t have a job like that anyway so the point is moot. 

Oh c'mon Pat, can't you jus play along :P

In Tarzan Triumphant we meet Danny. Daddy DANNY (damned autocorrect) is second-in-command for a "Big Shot" in Chicago, but he seems to be losing a step, so Danny sells him out to a "Bigger Shot" for 20 Gs. But somebody sells out Danny to the Big Shot, so he has to beat it. On the boat to England he meets up with this other guy, Lafe, who is a geologist going to Africa. Danny ain't got nothing else to do so he goes along.

Lafe has a shiny nickel plated Smith & Wesson DA32 - a 5 shot 32 short. He considers himself very well-armed.

Danny has a 1911 under his arm and a 1921 in his suitcase.

I think Danny has the edge.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1911 Colt .45!!!

Colt, yes.  .45 yes.  1911, uh no.  I think I'd go for a Single Action Army...maybe two.  Just more comfortable with it.  The 1911 would be my second choice, though.

Next would be a 1917 S&W and a bucket full of half moon clips.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would bring a Smith & Wesson Triple Lock in .45 Colt.

You woulda have to have been lucky.

According to Supica, "Twenty three reported manufactured in 45 Colt".

That little .22 would probably be sufficient to commit suicide.  Thinking you can adequately protect yourself in Africa with a handgun could lead to that.

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

You woulda have to have been lucky.

According to Supica, "Twenty three reported manufactured in 45 Colt".

Or you buy one made for .455 Webley then bore the chambers out.  ;)

Really freakin sick of auto Corinthian 

I’d want access to sufficient ammo From at least one source so the Germans should have plenty of 9mm.  So I’d pack a 9mm Luger with spare mags .  For a second I’d opt for the Colt SAA in 45 colt and take as much ammo as I could get by with

If a lion was trying to eat me, the odds are pretty good that he did not bring 30 or 40 friends with him, so a 5 shot single action would probably do me.

But if you can believe the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies, when the upset natives (cannibal or not) decide to come after you, there will be a hundred or more. I don't believe I want something as slow to reload  as a single action revolver. That's when the 1911 sounds pretty good.

After giving this all the attention it deserves,  I decided on a Colt SAA in 45 Colt with an Elmer Keith attached.

An Ithaca auto burglar double barrel shotgun pistol in 12 or 20 gauge. Basically a modern rendering of the old howdah pistol but one that could break open and reload as fast as the traditional double barreled African Hunting rifles. Certainly not as potent or accurate as the heavy hunting rifles used then, but a 12 or 20 gauge even out of a short 10 inch barrel still packs a heck of a punch. Kill your hand but better than being lunch. 

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ithaca-auto-burglar-12ga/

On 11/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, Alpo said:

If a lion was trying to eat me, the odds are pretty good that he did not bring 30 or 40 friends with him, so a 5 shot single action would probably do me.

But if you can believe the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies, when the upset natives (cannibal or not) decide to come after you, there will be a hundred or more. I don't believe I want something as slow to reload  as a single action revolver. That's when the 1911 sounds pretty good.

That's when a Tommy gun sounds even better.

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That's when a Tommy gun sounds even better.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:46 AM, Alpo said:

In Tarzan Triumphant we meet Danny.

Danny has a 1911 under his arm and a 1921 in his suitcase.

:D

It must have been quite light. When the boat was on fire he threw it and the girl overboard, and both of them floated.

You would think that with a couple of 1911s, a cut down 97 and all that ammunition it would have sank. Nope.

20 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Scroll to the 1:20 mark. If I can't go with a satchel like this, I ain't goin' 

I'm traveling with Abilene Slim from here on out!

SAA in .45 Colt ..... 7 1/2 inch barrel and plenty of ammo .....

Just wish I could Carry it in Uganda on my yearly trips  there .....

Jabez Cowboy

Peace maker 45.

God made Man. 

Sam Colt made Man or Beast  Equal  !

:D

5 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Ithaca Auto or Burgler model SxS shotgun pistol, made 1922 to 1934.

20 or 12 gage.

Made illegal by the 1935 gun act that limited Class III arms.

If you're going with Ithaca how about a Road Blocker?

Archived