SASS Wire Forum

Do newbies need gun carts?

Quizcat

Have shot SASS since 2001....no cart then and no cart now......if it doesn't fit into my saddle bags or the long gun scabbards that are lashed to each other.....I don't need it.

Bugler

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Bugler said:

Have shot SASS since 2001....no cart then and no cart now......if it doesn't fit into my saddle bags or the long gun scabbards that are lashed to each other.....I don't need it.

Bugler

Do you eat a lot of spinach? 

On 11/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Bugler said:

Bugler

Exactly Bugler.  I only have a cart now because I built one to keep the rain off my equipment at Winter Range.

Got the axle for the new welding cart attached with small spring loaded hinge pins I had in the barn that I sometimes use on tractor accessories.  Not sure it will work as well as a different kind of hinge pin, but so far it seems to work well.

hinge pin.jpg

22 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

Got the axle for the new welding cart attached with small spring loaded hinge pins I had in the barn that I sometimes use on tractor accessories.  Not sure it will work as well as a different kind of hinge pin, but so far it seems to work well.

hinge pin.jpg

Good choice, that’s what I use on all the ones that I build.

Gun carts are not a requirement and it is evident here that some folks compete without them.  So "need" is a personal choice.  

As for me, I carry 4 long guns, extra ammo, lunch for two, sun/rain umbrella, gun repair tools, squib rod, cleaning patches and solvent, a shotgun bore brush, expended brass bag, stage pouches for ammo for two shooters, brass pick up tools, SASS rule book, stage directions (if I'm a Posse leader or MD), gloves for taking in steel targets, wrenches, pliers and other tools for repair of target stands, eye and ear protection, a cloth and Simple Green (small bottle) to clean shooting glasses, a small first aid kit, and various drinks.  So I use a cart.   I'd look like an overweight porcupine otherwise, and a very tired one at that.  Oh, and my cart has a seat.  I figure there was a reason why the wheel was invented.  

30 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Gun carts are not a requirement and it is evident here that some folks compete without them.  So "need" is a personal choice.  

As for me, I carry 4 long guns, extra ammo, lunch for two, sun/rain umbrella, gun repair tools, squib rod, cleaning patches and solvent, a shotgun bore brush, expended brass bag, stage pouches for ammo for two shooters, brass pick up tools, SASS rule book, stage directions (if I'm a Posse leader or MD), gloves for taking in steel targets, wrenches, pliers and other tools for repair of target stands, eye and ear protection, a cloth and Simple Green (small bottle) to clean shooting glasses, a small first aid kit, and various drinks.  So I use a cart.   I'd look like an overweight porcupine otherwise, and a very tired one at that.  Oh, and my cart has a seat.  I figure there was a reason why the wheel was invented.  

wow, overkill! Carts are good but no need to carry EVERYTHING

3 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I've said many times, "I can set on it easier than I can wish for it". 

I'm with DDD on this one and bring everything I can think of.

Must be from my Cub Scout/Boy Scout days; always be prepared.

Newbies only need carts if they don't have sevents and/or eight arms.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:49 PM, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I would agree, but a part of what I do is play Sheriff for our club.  I got tired of leaving the match to run back to my truck for tools needed to fix targets, help people fix guns, clean my SG chambers, or put on a band aid.  It's a lot easier to just load it all in and enjoy the day.  And I do enjoy every single day of shooting with friends!  I find it rewarding to be able to offer up a squib rod or gunsmith screwdriver, or a box of SG shells to somebody who forgot theirs. Or just share a candy bar.  All part of the fun.  

On 11/20/2019 at 4:49 PM, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I don't really take EVERYTHING.  I leave home the gun vise, engraving stuff, checkering tools, bluing tank, lathe and mill.  I couldn't load it all onto the cart's half-inch axle.  (But I probably would if I could--turns out I'm a bit of a tool Junky!) 

Just because I carry my two .45s, my deringer, my pocket pistol, my long range pistol, match rifle, double, long range pistol caliber lever, rifle caliber lever and .50-140 buffalo gun and their accouterments, and ammo is not why I use my cart. It's because, as an El Patron, it has a comfy seat!!!!   :-)

A newbie doesn't need a gun cart IF:  the range they shoot at has long gun racks at each stage while they spot/time/score/pick brass, or just wait their turn at the loading table.  I shot for many years w/o a cart.  But, one of the first times I shot at a range that didn't have racks, it was a tiring, unsatisfactory day.

By then I had the ultimate gun cart, just hadn't utilized it as such...

PICT0630.jpg

but it grew to be expensive... 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived