SASS Wire Forum

Do newbies need gun carts?

Quizcat

Seems like they would be really convenient, much easier to bring your guns from the car to the firing line, etc...But, ones that are commercially available cost $350+, $500+, even one I saw was $3000...Can a newbie get by for quite a while without one? Are there any plans online to build one, or plans online on how to convert a jogging cart, or a red wagon, etc...?  I think my preference would be something lighter, foldable, etc...and not one of the wooden types, which I envision as being heavier, clunkier, etc...but, what do I know?.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

Seems like they would be really convenient, much easier to bring your guns from the car to the firing line, etc...But, ones that are commercially available cost $350+, $500+, even one I saw was $3000...Can a newbie get by for quite a while without one? Are there any plans online to build one, or plans on how tohow to convert a jogging cart,red wagon, etc...?  I think my preference would be something lighter, foldable, etc...and not one of the wooden types, which I envision as being heavier, clunkier, etc...but, what do I know?.  

In a word.... Yes. You go from bay to bay and don’t stay in one place. Carrying ammo, shotgun, rifle and all the rest from bay to bay is not going to be any fun.

You can get by without one for a little while, but it's a pain. Very likely a loaner cart at the range. Usually someone willing to share as well(a lot of us have room for 4-6 long guns).

Lots of guys convert Jogging Strollers into one.

@Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life sells plans for wood ones.

@Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 makes them out of golf pull carts.

All kinds of pictures on the net. Just search SASS gun cart.

You can go as cheap or expensive was you want. With no carpentry skills, I built mine out of a sheet and a half of plywood, and some 2X4's, and an axel and wheels. A little stain, paint, and some padding, and I've been using it for 15 year. I'd bet that I don't have much over a$100.00 in it. Don't know how close you live to the range you'll be shoot at, but I'm 100% sure there are a couple dozen Pards that would be more than happy to help you.

They are very helpful, but you can do one inexpensively with minimal tools.  I built my first one using a an inexpensive hand cart.  For the box, I used left over fence wood with regular saw, some screws, some glue, and part of a dowel.  I think it was less than $50 back then and not much more now. 

I was going to upgrade, but never needed to and I liked that it came apart so easily. 

http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

The cart:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/GunCart.html

Funny thing, at one regional shoot with hundreds of great carts, a picturre of my lofwly cart made it into the Atlanta Newspaper's article about the event. 

SO MANY of your beginning questions are best answered out at the local Cowboy range.  Get out there, even if you are not going to shoot.  Go watch, ask questions, get answers, ask more questions when you learn about stuff you had not even thought about!

Good luck, GJ

You can build one on the chassis of a used baby stroller - often available at garage sales.  Two local shooters have done so with good results.  Golf carts, baby strollers and gun carts use the same chassis.

You MUST HAVE a cart of some kind to haul gun, ammo, gear, supplies, lies, food and drink.  Figure out the easiest, quickest way to do that for now, then figure out a better, long term cart.  

As stated, a 2-wheeler shop cart with boxes/buckets can be a basis OR.... a used, kiddee stroller cart....either one can be converted to a temporary gun/gear cart until you get going and you’re ready to buy or build a proper gun cart.  Keep your loads very light in these temp carts.

—  TIP:  Don’t ever loan any of your carts to anyone, ever!

—  TIP:  If if you build a cart, use carpenter’s glue in the joints you nail/screw together.  Otherwise, it will loosen up and come apart.....guaranteed!  

If if you decide to build, PLAGIARIZE PROLIFICALLY!  Ask a lot of questions, and take up-close, detailed pictures.  Then, either use an existing, printed design or create your own.  

Cat Brules

I went for 15 years with a pair of saddlebags over my shoulder while carrying my guns.  In fact, I used those saddlebags at the last monthly.  A cart works but you can get by without one for as long as you want.

A gun cart makes getting from the car to the stages and then from stage to stage easier but ultimately you can get by without one. Nearly every club I shoot at now there is a pard or two without a cart and a saddle bag over his shoulder carrying his long guns. Back in the early SASS days nearly everyone did it that way, or so I’m told. If you show up at a match out here and need a gun cart nearly every club will have one or two for you to borrow for the match. Don’t let the lack of a gun cart scare you off, come out and start shooting, you’ll be amazed at how many offers of help you get.

im inclined that you need a cart - but wow you have just been offered a lot of great options here and i think if you ask you can probably find some one that will lend one for a spell till you get yours set up , do not overthink this - start basic and develop it as you learn what you want and need , i started with a beginning three gun cart i made from a golf bag [bag boy] cart and im still using it to this day nearly two decades later , 

i have a sporting clays stroller but i seldom bring it as its not as convenient as the golf cart , folds nice and compact - holds four long guns and three or four revolvers ok , as well as six to eight stages of ammo , a pocket for cash , lunch tokens and a few odds and ends , tools , my cigars and lighter , glasses and ear protection and an umbrella plus brass picking tools , what more could you ask ? 

oh yes - a water bottle as well , i have a stool i can hang on it too but im fighting giving in to old age these days , 

its not hard , throw something together and add ito it or change it as necessity dictates , i have very little in mine maybe $100-120 over all these years - i used stuff in my garage to build it , made the wife happy i finally used that junk i had hoarded , just food for thought , 

the two wheel cart is a great starting point - or a lawn/kids wagon from a garage sale for a couple bucks , look around there are lots of things getting thrown out these days , 

You can get by without a cart only if the ranges you shoot at have a rack at each stage for your long guns. Without gun racks a cart is a necessity.

Go to a match and look at the carts others have.  Google gun carts and look at the pictures. A very simple gun cart can be made of a wheeled golf bag. A hand truck can be made into a gun cart easily.

You don't see them much anymore, but when I started 25 years ago a lot of guys were building them on hand trucks.  I still use mine.  I always say I have the worst gun cart in SASS, but it works.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

A gun cart makes getting from the car to the stages and then from stage to stage easier but ultimately you can get by without one.

Yul Lose said you can get by without a gun cart? What is this world coming to?

If you travel by car start with this  https://www.handtrucksrus.com/product-details.aspx?id=462&cx=misc

Then start here  http://marauder.homestead.com/files/GunCart.html

Suggest top gun rack face with fur. I just buy a used women's coat collar. It stops the gun from rubbing, removing the blueing. Also get some harness straps and make holders to stop the guns from flipping out. Build the lower box in an L shape so you have a place to sit. Attach wood with pipe hangers, T nuts and bolts making easy it to take apart.

Have the match director announce at the shooters meeting that you need a couple spaces on a gun cart.

When someone offers the space, (if you're able) offer to push their cart for the day.

Easy trade off and most likely someone is willing.

7 hours ago, Quizcat said:

Seems like they would be really convenient, much easier to bring your guns from the car to the firing line, etc...But, ones that are commercially available cost $350+, $500+, even one I saw was $3000...Can a newbie get by for quite a while without one? Are there any plans online to build one, or plans online on how to convert a jogging cart, or a red wagon, etc...?  I think my preference would be something lighter, foldable, etc...and not one of the wooden types, which I envision as being heavier, clunkier, etc...but, what do I know?.  

As others have said, go to the matches. Ask around, nearly everyone who has been in this for a while has at least one gun cart they aren't using and would be easily had for a low cost or free. A lot of people build one cart when they first get into SASS, then they decide that it isn't good enough....so they build another.....and another.

One thing you don't want is one that weighs (and is the size of) your car. Simple and light is the way to go. Good luck and welcome to the madness.

6 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I went for 15 years with a pair of saddlebags over my shoulder while carrying my guns.  In fact, I used those saddlebags at the last monthly.  A cart works but you can get by without one for as long as you want.

Yeah!    but... then every stage had gun racks provided by local club.

Sitting or standing loving on a couple of boxes of ammo, a 97 or 87 or double shotgun with a 73 plus lunch a a half a dozen bottles of water and a fully loaded gunbelt  for 6 stages makes a $300 guncart look cheap.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Have the match director announce at the shooters meeting that you need a couple spaces on a gun cart.

When someone offers the space, (if you're able) offer to push their cart for the day.

Easy trade off and most likely someone is willing.

This.

Some clubs have a extra cart hanging around that you can use. Or if they know you are coming.

Many shooters have an extra cart or two at the house they might loan you.

You don't have to have a cart. BUT. It sure makes it MUCH easier. MUCH easier.

I found a twin baby jogger someone was throwing out.

Made a cart out of it with scrap I had around. Got about $25 bucks in it. Works great.

Howdy Quizcat, what club you shooting in Missouri?  Our club The Gateway Shootist Society have loaner carts I believe.  Like others have said go to the range and ask about one.   

I know a couple guys gave away carts they had, or sold cheap!

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

A cart goes a long way in making any SASS shoot way more enjoyable ;)

Have you attended a shoot yet?

OLG 

I have ten more weeks of recovery from major surgery, so I just can't get out there right away to see what others are using...

6 minutes ago, Red Rider Rudy said:

Howdy Quizcat, what club you shooting in Missouri?  Our club The Gateway Shootist Society have loaner carts I belive.

I live about 35 miles West of St. Louis, but I'm  recovering from major surgery for the next 10 weeks or so.  It'll probably be springtime before I can get to a meet, but I definitely plan to.  That's nice to know that there are loaners available.  I figured that might be the case, and even though I would like having my own cart, I was hoping I could get by without one until I am recovered enough to build one.  

11 hours ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

If you travel by car start with this  https://www.handtrucksrus.com/product-details.aspx?id=462&cx=misc

Then start here  http://marauder.homestead.com/files/GunCart.html

Suggest top gun rack face with fur. I just buy a used women's coat collar. It stops the gun from rubbing, removing the blueing. Also get some harness straps and make holders to stop the guns from flipping out. Build the lower box in an L shape so you have a place to sit. Attach wood with pipe hangers, T nuts and bolts making easy it to take apart.

I like that cart...seems nice and transportable.

2 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

I live about 35 miles West of St. Louis, but I'm  recovering from major surgery for the next 10 weeks or so.  It'll probably be springtime before I can get to a meet, but I definitely plan to.  That's nice to know that there are loaners available.  I figured that might be the case, and even though I would like having my own cart, I was hoping I could get by without one until I am recovered enough to build one.  

You show up at our club, you will have lots of people offering to help. Also a lot of folks have room to share their cart. 

I have been a sass member for 31 years and been shooting cas for about 35 and have never had a cart.  While I see the convenience of them at the range, I have always figured that was canceled out by the hassle of hauling it back and forth and storing it at home.  I also find that not having a cart keeps me from bringing everything but the kitchen sink to the range.  To be clear, I am not against carts, I just have not found a design I was willing to deal with.  At one point I toyed with bringing the horse I used to ride for cavalry reenacting as my gun cart, but that would have been a bigger hassle than a regular cart!

So, no they are not absolutely necessary as long as your club has rifle racks at or near each stage.   Your mileage may vary, to each his own.  

22 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Very likely a loner cart at the range.

I had a loner cart once, but it never wanted to hang out or go anywhere with me. :)

Garrison Joe is correct.  Go to a shoot and take pictures with your phone of designs you like. My very first cart was a golf pull cart with a large golf bag (I often joked that that's where I kept my "shooting irons").

I was one of the first in my area to use a converted baby jogger years ago.  I picked it up for $25 at a yard sale and the only new parts I bought were ATV long gun holders at Sportsman's Warehouse.  After my wife started shooting, I broke down and purchased a Rugged Gear cart, but the baby jogger concept worked well for over 10 years. 

Archived