SASS Wire Forum

Midway

Utah Bob #35998

Found this from a friend

https://www.redstate.com/stu-in-sd/2019/11/11/sure-see-remake-movie-“midway”/

Whenever a Hollywood producer wants U.S. Navy support to make a movie, they are required to submit the script to the CHINFO West office in Los Angeles for review.  If the script concerns a historic topic, it is then forwarded to Naval History and Heritage Command for a review of historic accuracy.  I admit to getting pretty excited when I first read the script a couple years ago, because, although not perfect, it got so much right.  Even better, in my view, it is a great depiction of the incredible courage of those who fought in the battle, on both sides.  It depicts the heroic sacrifice of the torpedo bombers and the incredible work by the dive bombers, and also incorporated the important role of the submarine NAUTILUS.  It also nailed the Intelligence contribution to the battle.  It also presented a balanced view of the Japanese side as well.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

People are dissing the movie because a newspaper review got someone's rank wrong?

No, people are dissing the newspaper review for getting someone's rank wrong.

5 hours ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

I think it could have done a better job of comparing the Japanese losses at Midway to the American losses. 

Yup, it's the second Midway movie in a row to basically ignore the sinking of the Yorktown except in passing comments.

11 hours ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

People are dissing the movie because a newspaper review got someone's rank wrong?

I saw it, I enjoyed it. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Possible minor spoilers below:

It moved through events pretty quickly, from a little before Pearl Harbor, to Pearl Harbor, to the Doolittle raid to the intel on Midway to the actual battle. 

As someone said, there is not a romantic sub plot to muck things up. 

Some articles I saw said a lot of the historical aspects are correct, including the contributions of the 10 main characters. Though the actual battles are probably a little too dramatized. 

I think it could have done a better job of comparing the Japanese losses at Midway to the American losses. 

Didn’t dis the movie. I never do that without seeing the film. I was dissing the stupid caption that had Doolittle in the Navy. :D

56 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Didn’t dis the movie. I never do that without seeing the film. I was dissing the stupid caption that had Doolittle in the Navy. :D

I guess after his stint in the NAVY and helped whoop up on the Japanese in the Pacific,

he was sent to Germany in the Air Force to help Patton whoop up on the Germans..... ;)

Just think, if some newspaper columnist reads my post, they will be totally confused now..... :D

..........Widder

Comparison of losses still are lopsided. The japanese lost 4 first line carriers( all participated at Pearl), most of their air groups, and one heavy cruiser. The U.S. lost one first line carrier and a destroyer, most of their torpedo squadrons( shipboard), a lot of their land based air( mostly obsolete), and facilities on land. Human losses were just as lopsided with the Japanese losing more men.:blush:

Yesterday I read a really good comment from a reviewer (I believe from the Navy Times), to the effect of "finally instead of spending millions on fake superheroes Hollywood spent $100 million to show us some REAL ones". :FlagAm:

...and of course another reviewer was critical of its flag-waving theme. I guess patriotic movies are no longer in fashion these days. :rolleyes:

On 11/13/2019 at 12:06 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yesterday I read a really good comment from a reviewer (I believe from the Navy Times), to the effect of "finally instead of spending millions on fake superheroes Hollywood spent $100 million to show us some REAL ones". :FlagAm:

...and of course another reviewer was critical of its flag-waving theme. I guess patriotic movies are no longer in fashion these days. :rolleyes:

Patriotism seems to offend a lot of people. :angry::angry:

The bride and I saw it tonight. Excellent movie. Great action. Patriotic tenor. Good quiet scenes between some of the men and their wives, but no distracting romantic or other side plots.

I think the directors were wise to use experienced actors, but none of whom are stars as such. Thus there was no distraction from the flic by 'star power'. Even the most well-known are 'second-tier'. That would be Woody Harrelson and Dennis Quaid. I didn't even recognize Quaid (Bull Halsey) until the credits. He was good.

I think Harrelson was very fine as Nimitz. I couldn't even tell he was a vegan anarchist, as one pard here complained!

I had to look up vegan anarchist.

What are them angry folks gonna do about all those animals out there that eat...

...other animals?

Hmmm.

If I could I'd be a cookie anarchist but I think my doctor might advise against that.

:blink:

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I had to look up vegan anarchist.

What are them angry folks gonna do about all those animals out there that eat...

...other animals?

Hmmm.

If I could I'd be a cookie anarchist but I think my doctor might advise against that.

:blink:

I would like to know what WE are gonna do when Cannibals become extinct?

I mean, what Hollywood star is gonna step up and start a fund raiser to help preserve Cannibals

for only 27-cents a day (or less than $10 a month).   And then poise in a picture surrounded by

their starving tribe.

:ph34r:

..........Widder

*More like $45 in "dog dollars." Eight bucks for me with senior discount; $12 for the Kid, and [Damn!!] $25 for one medium popcorn, M&M's, and two large sodas.

That's why I wait for the videos!

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:13 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I would like to know what WE are gonna do when Cannibals become extinct?

I mean, what Hollywood star is gonna step up and start a fund raiser to help preserve Cannibals

for only 27-cents a day (or less than $10 a month).   And then poise in a picture surrounded by

their starving tribe.

:ph34r:

..........Widder

The reason they're starving is because most Hollyweird celebrities are mostly made out of inedible silicone and plastic these days.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I saw a trailer with a mountainous island in the background.  My recollection of Midway was that of a low atoll like island.

The scene with the attack on a Japanese airfield was before the battle of Midway.  Unless I heard it wrong the island was Roi in Kwajalein Atoll.   The mountainous terrain got my attention since having spent a week on Kwajalein island in 1985 I know the highest point on any of the many islands of the atoll is approx 7 feet.

I am sure this scene was not a depiction of real events.  I liked the movie a lot since it is more historically accurate than 99% of war movies built around real events.  Not like that stinker Pearl Harbor. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The reason they're starving is because most Hollyweird celebrities are mostly made out of inedible silicone and plastic these days.

Don't forget the excrement. The fast majority of hollyweird is full of it. 

Friend went to see and as he was waiting he struck up a conversation with one of the theater employees. When he asked the young employee if he had seen the movie, he replied no. When asked why he replied that he wasn't interested in watching a boring history movie. :(

5 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The scene with the attack on a Japanese airfield was before the battle of Midway.  Unless I heard it wrong the island was Roi in Kwajalein Atoll.   The mountainous terrain got my attention since having spent a week on Kwajalein island in 1985 I know the highest point on any of the many islands of the atoll is approx 7 feet.

I am sure this scene was not a depiction of real events.  I liked the movie a lot since it is more historically accurate than 99% of war movies built around real events.  Not like that stinker Pearl Harbor. 

Oh no. You did Not mention that stinker. I calls it the PH movie.
Doesn’t stand for Purple Heart, or even Pearl Harbor. 
Stands for Purely Horrible. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Friend went to see and as he was waiting he struck up a conversation with one of the theater employees. When he asked the young employee if he had seen the movie, he replied no. When asked why he replied that he wasn't interested in watching a boring history movie. :(

Young people these days want to see gunfights, car crashes and lots of superheroes jumping around shooting lightning from their fingers. Learning about real people who fought real battles scarcely interests them. I'm probably from the last generation to ever know the likes of George Gay, Marion Carl, or "Pappy" Boyington, and I'm 50.

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Oh no. You did Not mention that stinker. I calls it the PH movie.
Doesn’t stand for Purple Heart, or even Pearl Harbor. 
Stands for Purely Horrible. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that when that movie came out some WW2 vets actually walked out of the theaters. Of course is was directed by the same dude who came out with that ridiculous "Armageddon" starring Bruce Willis, and I could tell it even had the same feel to it.

Archived