SASS Wire Forum

Midway

Utah Bob #35998

Haven’t seen it and probably won’t till it’s out in video, but check out the caption on the photo in this LA Times review. 
“Lt Commander Jimmy Doolittle”

And no, I didn’t bother to read the review after seeing that. :wacko:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-11-07/midway-review

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That appears to be the reporter making a mistake, the Wikipedia entry for the movie correctly has Doolittle as a Lieutenant Colonel

47 minutes ago, Chantry said:

That appears to be the reporter making a mistake, the Wikipedia entry for the movie correctly has Doolittle as a Lieutenant Colonel

I think his point was why bother with the review if they couldn't bother to get that detail correct.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I think his point was why bother with the review if they couldn't bother to get that detail correct.

Possibly

Anyway I suspect the movie is going to suck and they will make a mess of the actual facts

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

That was my point. A reporter that dumb or sloppy isn’t worth my time to read.

37 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Possibly

Anyway I suspect the movie is going to suck and they will make a mess of the actual facts

Yet another movie that can't get it straight that Doolittle was nearly bald. Good grief people, there are tons of pics of the man out there! :rolleyes:

I saw the trailer, and I guess I got it wrong again. It appeared that there was a flashback to Doolittle's Toyoko raid.

But it was only a flash of the B 25's on deck. I have no idea how that has any bearing on the Midway Turkey shoot

but what the He77 do a an old grunt know about Navy matters. 

Hollywood wouldn't get it wrong, would they?

Keep reading, folks.  Although the picture indeed was labeled incorrectly, in the body of the article they got it right.  Actually not a bad review.

Unfortunately, the film has that vegan anarchist looney tune Woody Harrelson [mis-cast] as Chester Nimitz.  :huh:

47 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Let's complain before we even see the movie-- the local sport!

It's gotten good reviews so far for historical accuracy (for a modern movie), and avoidance of cornball romantic subplots and such. 

I'm going to go see it.

Wasn’t complaining about the movie, just about the reviewer. The reviews seem to be quite mixed so far. It can’t be as bad as the lame Pearl Harbor I hope.

Haven’t been to the movies in years. Nearest theater is 40 miles away and it’s not a good one. And they like to turn the sound system up to 11. 
I’ll wait for the video and watch it at home with my 3 Bs:

Bedroom slippers

Bourbon

Babe

:lol:

I've seem the trailers and already have a negative feeling, especially about all the special effects and animation. I remember the original Midway with Charleton Heston and all the real aircraft in it. I know lots of the Zeros were mot real Zeros, but they were real airplanes.

There's one scene in the movie where a Zero strafes a street full of people, and it literally passes between a row of trees and a building that's 20 feet apart, meaning the Zero was a 1/4 scale midget. Whoever did that CGI scene wasn't even half-awake. In the Charlton Heston movie we had to deal with carriers with angled flight decks and T6 Texans dressed up to look like Zeros, but at least they were real airplanes.

7 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I've seem the trailers and already have a negative feeling, especially about all the special effects and animation. I remember the original Midway with Charleton Heston and all the real aircraft in it. I know lots of the Zeros were mot real Zeros, but they were real airplanes.

I recall in Jet Pilot where the Migs were F84s with red stars. :lol:

I saw a trailer with a mountainous island in the background.  My recollection of Midway was that of a low atoll like island.

37 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

That was my impression also. On the trailer, it looks like almost like a cartoon. I won't discount the movie until I see it....on Netflix or Redbox.

52 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Keep reading, folks.  Although the picture indeed was labeled incorrectly, in the body of the article they got it right.  Actually not a bad review.

Unfortunately, the film has that vegan anarchist looney tune Woody Harrelson [mis-cast] as Chester Nimitz.  :huh:

And that is the very reason I will never see it. What an insult to an American hero 

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If anything maybe this movie even with any flaws might make some young people interested in the history of WW2.

Well the Duke might have been an insult to Gengis Kahn. Not sure though. ;)

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If anything maybe this movie even with any flaws might make some young people interested in the history of WW2.

Well they’re already interested.....sort of.

Although I have noticed a hilarious tendency for them to criticize accurate accounts of the war because it never happens in their games. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games

23 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I saw a trailer with a mountainous island in the background.  My recollection of Midway was that of a low atoll like island.

Maybe they were on the way to Midway.
I see shots of the mountains in films set in Miami too.  :D Never could find em though.

6 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

And that is the very reason I will never see it. What an insult to an American hero 

I can respect that.

I do intend to see it, though...  and I'll try to get past the casting weirdness and appreciate the good stuff.

It's a movie.  Entertainment.  I'll enjoy spending the time with my son watching it.  And I'm pretty darn sure it'll beat the heck outta most of the drivel out of Hollywack these days.

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

It appeared that there was a flashback to Doolittle's Toyoko raid.

But it was only a flash of the B 25's on deck. I have no idea how that has any bearing on the Midway Turkey shoot...

Why do they have scenes of Pearl Harbor in a Midway movie? Prelude to the battle? I think I'll go to the flick and find out.

21 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Why do they have scenes of Pearl Harbor in a Midway movie? Prelude to the battle? I think I'll go to the flick and find out.

Because the movie has to first establish that the Americans were the victims in this war. If we went straight to the Battle of Midway the ignorant millennial snowflakes would think we were just racially oppressing the Japanese and should've just let them have Midway Island.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well they’re already interested.....sort of.

Although I have noticed a hilarious tendency for them to criticize accurate accounts of the war because it never happens in their games. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games

That’s funny, weird and sad all at the same time. 

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

There's one scene in the movie where a Zero strafes a street full of people, and it literally passes between a row of trees and a building that's 20 feet apart, meaning the Zero was a 1/4 scale midget. Whoever did that CGI scene wasn't even half-awake. In the Charlton Heston movie we had to deal with carriers with angled flight decks and T6 Texans dressed up to look like Zeros, but at least they were real airplanes.

Don't forget the Corsairs.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Pretty unlikely you'll ever again see a movie like that with real vintage aircraft...  :(

Well, now I figure there are about 20 reasons not to go, including that the actor playing Nimitz is a vegan anarchist, but I think I'll go anyway. It sounds like the movie has some virtues to it, although Hollywood forgot to buy hundreds of WWII airplanes to use in movies 75 years later. They never get it right!

I do get the senior citizen discount. I asked the gal last time why they gave the discount, and she said the theater chains never lost money on it, because most seniors already decided they wouldn't like the movie anyway and so didn't go in the first place.

Bruce Willis should be Doolittle. He’s bald. ;)

Saw the movie this evening with the Kid.  Eight bucks* well spent, I thought!  Entertaining, exciting, and thought-provoking.  

*More like $45 in "dog dollars." Eight bucks for me with senior discount; $12 for the Kid, and [Damn!!] $25 for one medium popcorn, M&M's, and two large sodas.  :blink:

Now, in response to some of the comments and observations above, a few reflections:

As Tex Jones noted, it is a MOVIE, and not a documentary.  Think of it as a modern movie done in the style of war movies of the late 40's into the 60's.  A good mix of fictional and historical characters. Perhaps a bit of license taken with the historical ones, but it did not detract from the story at all.  Instead of model planes on strings or ship models floating in a pool on a sound stage with painted backdrops, they used CGI.  Most of which was done quite well - amazing, actually, and definitely a vastly superior visual effect than the aforementioned models.

Were there technical errors?  Of course.  It's a movie.  Were there things that stretched the imagination, or seemed just plain wrong?  Again, yes, and again, it's a movie.  One thing that jumped right out at me was a submarine skipper with a cigarette in his mouth when setting up a torpedo attack.  But then again, I can just see a Clark Gable type doing that in an old film of the era this one paid tribute to. And if the actor who portrayed Doolittle had a bit more hair than the real Doolittle did after he lost his, well - so what?  It's a movie!  

And, to give the Devil his due, there were two knot-head actors whom I personally dislike - but whom I thought did well in portraying their characters.  Surprisingly so. 

Oh!  And as a bonus for seeing the film on Veteran's Day Weekend, we each got a "special," quarter-sized commemorative pin!  :)  Why... in twenty years or so it'll probably be worth a $1.45 on Ebay~!  ^_^

So if ya can, go see the movie.  Ya just might enjoy it.  ;)

Post image         1231843274_MidwayPin.jpg.e37b1c3e66447571ffb2db8375c06359.jpg

Archived