SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Model P Old Model 38WCF

Warden Callaway

Thanks to Smokey Dave!  My Model P has a whole new look!

813876156_ModelPnewgripssteerNov2019.jpg.1941be6cade0040947705d2c2234d57f.jpg

After some some stumbles,  I've managed to cast a set of gripes for the Model P.

The medallions are Starlin 38-40 case heads.  I'd rather had W-W or any other marked 38WCF but Starline is what I had.  The steer head was modeled out of clay and molded in. 

1283735208_ModelPnewgripsNov2019.jpg.1c0d781c90ada00a659727e2f8ce8215.jpg

I made photos along the way and will assemble a DIY video of how I did this and what I did wrong. 

Looks Great, 

I’ m going to use the resin ivory from guitar parts supply. The stuff looks and feels like ivory, hard to tell it from the real thing. 

The 38Wcf is my cartridge of choice. Miss named ;it shoots real black powder . Should have been 40-38 being 40 caliber. But the 38-40 (38wcf) is a great cartridge. 

I have two Cimarron's, in .38 WCF, on black-powder frames.  One has a 5 1/2 inch barrel, one has a 7 1/2 inch barrel.  I was already sold on the .38 WCF, since I own a pre-war Colt single action in that caliber.  Love these revolvers, and love the caliber. 

Congratulations on getting this.  Ya done good!

As the yuppies say..."enjoy":...

My two bits.

W.K.

9 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have two Cimarron's, in .38 WCF, on black-powder frames.  One has a 5 1/2 inch barrel, one has a 7 1/2 inch barrel.  I was already sold on the .38 WCF, since I own a pre-war Colt single action in that caliber.  Love these revolvers, and love the caliber. 

Congratulations on getting this.  Ya done good!

As the yuppies say..."enjoy":...

My two bits.

W.K.

Are yours the old model with V rear and knife blade front sight?   If so, did you make any changes?   

I can hit well with these sights but I do think they are slower. 

Yes sir, they are the V rear, and knife blade front sights.  I have done nothing to them...no changes.

I do pretty well with them...mostly. 

But...I don't fault anyone for making S.A.S.S. legal modifications, if that is what a person wants to do.  To each his own.  I can certainly understand wanting to modify the V rear, and that "cigarette-paper" thin front sight.  I am sure if I did some modifications to my sights, on these revolvers, that I would have better results. 

My two bits.

W.K.   

• 2 weeks later...

I keep messing with the grips. I didn't get enough amber die in the mix to get the color like aged ivory.  So yesterday I did a little more sanding down to 1200 grit. 

I applied the amber die.  It's ok as far as the color but it's a bit splotchy.  

932461369_GripsstainedDec2019.jpg.85c9e66eafa91bf27323eb174a987534.jpg

477248385_GripstainstersideDec2019.jpg.26070efa64feca245bd956cf7cb8d949.jpg

I think I can even it out.  Or maybe just let it wear off by use. 

I am thinking of scrimshawing in some crack lines. 

Archived