SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Model P Old Model 38WCF

Warden Callaway

Came onto this Cimarron Model P "Old Model" in 38WCF and something just grabbed me about it.  Here is an early morning picture before I get it dirty. 

1960226573_CimarronModelPOMNov2019.jpg.7354eec541460e9f53952e3ffbdcc7a0.jpg

What's different is that it had the early black powder frame with a screw holding the base pin in place vs a cross latch. It also has the early bullseye ejector button.   Also, the shallow V back sight and thin front sight.  Otherwise, it's a Uberti. 

I'll probably make a video of it this weekend when I get it out and shoot it.

The wheels are already turning.  For sure some ol'timey grips would make this gun more appealing and functional.  May be a winter project making one piece grips. Maybe fake Ivory or American holly?  Maybe splated maple or sycamore? 

Maybe find a set of cheap reproduction stag grips? Maybe cheap fake ivory with bull's head?

May just strip these and checker them?

Warden,

Just bought a pair of these Old Model  model Ps just as you described,except mine are New Sheriff's with  3 1/2 inch barrels.

Thinking of shooting them at this weekend match. 

Really neat revolvers

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

it has..... (list of all the parts that make it a BP framed single action).....  Otherwise, it's a Uberti. 

Regardless of what parts were added at factory or later, it has been and always is an Uberti made revolver.  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Regardless of what parts were added at factory or later, it has been and always is an Uberti made revolver.  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

I'd rather have a Colt in this configuration but they tend to be 5-10x more expensive!   I'd been happy if it was a Pietta but I don't think Pietta ever offered one in 38WCF. 

Nice revolver.

personally, I’d send off the grip frame and have some “rough bark” stag grips fitted to the pistol.  (Check on them.  They can be pricey.)   That same revolver from Colt, fitted out the same, would still be just a Colt, too.  So, don’t listen to that “sour grapes” crap.  You can make it unique.

16 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Nice revolver.

personally, I’d send off the grip frame and have some “rough bark” stag grips fitted to the pistol.  (Check on them.  They can be pricey.)   That same revolver from Colt, fitted out the same, would still be just a Colt, too.  So, don’t listen to that “sour grapes” crap.  You can make it unique.

That would probably cost more than I have in the gun!  Bessides,  I'm a DIY kind of guy.  My youngest son hunts in the north west. I've asked him to keep lookout for elk sheds.

It reached the high for the day about 2:30 - that being in upper 30s. So after my afternoon nap, I took it out and shot 30 rounds just plinking at railroad plates in my bullet traps.  Hit most often but the ol'timey sights require more squinting to see.  The 7g Unique 180g bullets (starting load in Lyman manual) is pretty snappy. 

9 minutes ago, watab kid said:

thats beautiful , looks unused to my eyes , should serve well , 

It had been fired but not a blemish or bright edge on it. Box and papers came with it as well as a knurled head base pin screw.  I ran across it on GB and watched it for a week.  Put in the only bid in last 20 minutes.  

It got up to 64 yesterday.  But winter is hitting this morning.  Winter mix then snow moving in.  :(  The good thing I got more firewood cut yesterday.  I hope we have enough for all winter. 

I did have time to shoot some video yesterday morning.  Just got it uploaded this morning. 

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet you made the video on Sunday. ^_^

Yes.  As soon as the sun got high enough. 

The wind hadn't kicked up yet when I set up.  But by the time I got done it was increasing.  Note the trees moving and leaves blowing.  I used the BOYA microphone with a "dead cat" cover that really cuts down on wind noise.  

If you watch how swiftly I move,  you get an idea why I rarely shoot a stage in the 40s. 

I'm not a good presenter.  I shot this 4 times and picked the best. But I wanted to record it this way. 

Contemplating change of grips.  

605477891_CimarronOldModeleaglegrips.jpg.d9372aeb691487ffd25831c0e1e04456.jpg

I have a pair of real Colt 3rd generation eagle grips and they fit remarkably well.  Except they are too short. 

250292667_CimarronOldModelIvorygrips.jpg.ef55396ff702239f0d68bab1c1528d22.jpg

I also have a pair of Colt 2nd generation Ivorylite grips - also too short.

1266331599_CimarronOldModelWalnutgrip.jpg.fd60472e4513afd2768175f629cf8034.jpg

I have a roughed out walnut one-piece grips that are just a little too big all the way around. I can make them more comfortable than the original but would not change the overall looks of the gun.

I'm exploring other options.  Maybe try molding a set of faux Ivory. 

Warden, I have 2 of these that I bought in '06.  They're both just like yours.  Since then, I've bought 2 Colts.  Now I have 4 pistols in 38WCF.  I switch between the Colts and the Cimarron/Uberti pistols.  I also have a Cimarron/Uberti '73 rifle in 38WCF.  NONE of these  have EVER had anything but Black Powder shot out of them.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Warden, why don'cha strip your Uberti wood and give it an oil finish?  Gets rid of the shine and the slick.

That would be an easy way to get past the usual Uberti slick rosey red grip.  But it still is not the look and feel I'm wanting. 

I'm thinking faux ivory, bone or antler.  And I'm just crazy enough to try making them.  I've been research making silicone molds and casting in polyurethane or epoxy,  etc. Thinking of light colored woods.  I have basswood - right color and easily carved but soft.  I have sycamore - it would be an ivorish looking wood and much harder. Hard maple?   I have Kentucky coffee bean on the farm but none cut and dried.    Maybe some flea market grips I run across from time to time?

Nice thing about grips,  they can be swapped out and radical change the character, look and feel of a gun. 

Warden, I cast some faux ivory grips from urethane, for a conversion I'm fooling with. It's not too hard, and the materials are available at Hobby Lobby.

IMG_0274.jpg

19 minutes ago, Smokey Dave said:

Warden, I cast some faux ivory grips from urethane, for a conversion I'm fooling with. It's not too hard, and the materials are available at Hobby Lobby.

IMG_0274.jpg

Right on!   That's what I'm looking for. 

Any specific product you use to cast these?  

I picked up some 100% silicone caulking at the hardware store this morning.  Thought I'd start with making a mold or the right and left panels of the factory grips.  

9 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Right on!   That's what I'm looking for. 

Any specific product you use to cast these?  

I picked up some 100% silicone caulking at the hardware store this morning.  Thought I'd start with making a mold or the right and left panels of the factory grips.  

Thanks Warden!

Not sure this is allowed, but here's a link to another forum I'm on. This is the thread I started about my grip casting. It has pictures and links to the materials I used from Hobby Lobby. Hope it helps.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,3349.0.html

Thanks! I made a bookmark of that post in case it goes away. 

I'm thinking make a mold of the right side. Then the left side.  Then just make the frame filler from some other material.   That way I wouldn't be cutting the original grips as you did. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Thanks! I made a bookmark of that post in case it goes away. 

I'm thinking make a mold of the right side. Then the left side.  Then just make the frame filler from some other material.   That way I wouldn't be cutting the original grips as you did. 

That's an excellent idea Warden. You could just use a slice of wood between the resin grip panels.

In the night I remember I have two takeoff grips from Uberti Cattleman. This morning I got them out and tried them on the Model P.  One grip could be made to fit but the other fit as well as the original.  

460016141_UbertigripNov152019.jpg.b946c573f1a58fd93ccb889553432338.jpg

Now I have a left and right mold pattern. 

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

You didn't mention using a dye to get the white color.  Is white what you get from using this kit? 

The white color is how they come out of the mold. The resin starts off a clear amber color. When it sets up, it's an off white.

You can dye the resin if you want to. They make lots of colorant for the resin. For me, the as cast color looks pretty close to ivory.

Archived